[RECOVERY] S7 Clockworkmod Recovery Port for Android 2.1 Builds

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This does not work on Android 2.2 builds in its current state

Calling this xauBeta so we can distinguish between versions. Tested with Bestbuy Huawei Ideos S7-104 White (external microSD and internal 8GB).

Tested on BestBuy S7-104 running the newer Singapore ROM S7V100R001C61B011, for Android 2.1.
This was not tested on a stock BestBuy ROM. I do not know if this will work properly on that firmware. Please report your findings.

Use fastboot to flash (install fastboot and fastboot drivers, enter fastboot via vol+/- and power button combo, issue the command 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img')

Download
v0.11

Internal NAND + External SD Version for S7-104 BestBuy, Radioshack:
I do not expect this version to work properly for single SD variants
Multiupload download
de54cb057b6b9ebbd5912588e4aad628 recovery.img

External Single SD Version for S7-105 Telstra:
Multiupload download
aa0c883aac0edb8f5d9929148cf56136 recovery.img

Changelog
v0.11
-forgot nandroid-md5.sh

v0.1
-initial version

Notes
This recovery image is functional enough for use.

If you have the dual-nand variant of the S7, you can still use the recovery image for the single-sd version. If you do so, installable update zip files will need to be placed on the external microSD instead of the internal nand. You also lose the ability to mount the internal nand to the computer via recovery.

What works: Nandroid works. USB mounts work (choose between internal and external mount hacked in for the dual-sd version). Flashing installable update zip files work. Fix permissions works.

This is still an ugly hack of a recovery image. Instead of waiting for developers, I threw this together so I can use it.
This recovery does not read the misc partition flags and boots into user mode every time. Hopefully this does not break too many things. It only displays only 50% of the screen, but it is still readable. It works for me, so I'm not going to touch the kernel framebuffer or whatever was causing the quad-screen craziness.

Buttons in this recovery image:
Up - vol +, dpad up
Down - vol -, dpad down, menu (cycles when menu reaches bottom)
Select - home, dpad select, power, send call
Back - end call, back

The weird color and the half-screen issues are known. No fixes are planned.

What hasn't been tested
Need someone to help figure out which would be the ideal way to deploy this. I typically fastboot. Will look into an easier method of deployment possibly in the future.

Not tested:
formatting external SD for apps2sd feature (under advanced)
format sdcard (not sure what this option does)
nandroid with apps2ext

Screenshots
xT3EZl.png

boot

E57HPl.png

nandroid

Credit to koush and everyone who has worked on Clockwork recovery
Also HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki
razor950 for the device files
perivarlura for some binaries from his ramdisk

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Easier Windows Install
Requires full root on your tablet, and USB debugging enabled. Plug your S7 in via USB while booted into Android. This is a Windows install script. Just run install_now.cmd and follow the prompts.

Internal NAND + External SD Version for S7-104 BestBuy, Radioshack:
Download from Multiupload

External Single SD Version for S7-105 Telstra:

This is a script that will try to automatically install this recovery image to your device. You will still need to install the Windows drivers on your computer.

Have the drivers ready from Huawei -> Direct Link
http://bit.ly/gjH9f9

Qv1Ttl.jpg

Credit to install script for malez recovery: http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez-recovery/

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Forgot the md5sum check script for nandroid. Repacking. Give me 10 minutes.

Edit:
all good now. windows install script will be up shortly.

nandroid works fine. Tested on my Bestbuy S7-104 on new Singapore ROM via my Windows 7 64 bit PC.

Last edited:

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Xaueious, great work on this. I am going to hold off on putting this on for now since it is running so well right now. However once we start to see some custom ROMs I will be all over this. This is a huge first step.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Who thinks X gets the bounty? I do!

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Not aware of a bounty anymore. I only have a personal Paypal address, so people have to PM me for it.

Those of you who are using this, I would appreciate feedback if you are using it on another device.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Happy to test this on the version without internal sdcard. I assume this is not like a normal reboot recovery where your machine gets wiped to factory settings. Is this likely to break link2sd setup? How do you get out of recovery mode, is it just another reboot?

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
I like that script for windows makes it easier for all of us. As for me I use terminal emulator flash_image to flash recovery but that aside. (My computer gets used by my kids more than me so I have to fight for it)

So will this work (my step to backup then restore test procedure)
From terminal
reboot recovery
Create a nandroid backup
Reboot and delete some files to break it (excluding recovery partition of course)
Boot into recovery using the button combo
Restore nandroid
there's no other special method that's involve?
I'm just trying to confirm

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you have no internal sdcard, please give me the output from shell of:
Code:
cat /proc/mtd
Basically we have to work on a new BoardConfig...

I also need to know which mmcblk the internal sd resides in for your S7.

so...

Code:
ls /dev/block/mmc*
This recovery wont wipe your device when you boot it. But there are definitions for where the recovery expects to find a SD partition that might make a difference. Nandroid might not work properly.
Paste it into http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...84-recovery-working-recovery-ui-glitches.html

@mecha2010

No special tricks required. Just make sure you don't screw up the internal SDCard FAT partition it reads the recovery from as well. Or else you would just reflash to a Huawei ROM, enable USB debugging, run the Windows install script, and finally restore nandroid from CWR recovery. You could use flash_image to flash as well, but fastboot will probably be the safer to do it correctly.

Backup up to internal memory is the method we are keeping because it is stock, and negates the need for an external SD.

frankbo168

Mar 1, 2011
Easier Windows Install
Requires root and USB debugging enabled.

Plug your S7 in via USB.

Qv1Ttl.jpg

This is a script that will try to automatically install this recovery image to your device. You will still need to install the Windows drivers on your computer.

Have the drivers ready from Huawei -> Direct Link
http://bit.ly/gjH9f9

This is a Windows install script. Just run install_now.cmd

Credit to install script for malez recovery: acer-liquid-malez-recovery - Project Hosting on Google Code
I'm sorry I know this sound stupid. How do I go into the recovery mode? Same as before by pressing vol-up, send and power buttons? I'm ready to try out your work, I just need to confirm the methods of getting into the recovery before I get started. Thanks!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You don't want to go into recovery before flashing this. Going into recovery wipes data on load. The key combo is Menu+Send+Power, but unplug everything before doing this.

frankbo168

Mar 1, 2011
You don't want to go into recovery before flashing this. Going into recovery wipes data on load. The key combo is Menu+Send+Power, but unplug everything before doing this.
Thanks a bunch! I appreciate your quick feedback! I'm going to give it a try since I also has the s104 version.

frankbo168

Mar 1, 2011
@xaueious, your recovery works like charm, made my first nandroid back up :). where's the link for your donations?

Last edited:

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
For starter ones should disect the update.app to a flashable zip as a starting point. So they can pave the way for chefs and developer to use as a base and of course test the flashing functionality of this wonderful CWR port great job X.