[RECOVERY] Working recovery with UI glitches

double

Dec 24, 2010
noob question here. So when the recovery is finished we can load a froyo rom or does a custom rom then need to be built to work on s7?

arqueiro

Nov 1, 2010
A custom rom still need to be maide but this is the first step

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I would like to like that maybe a custom rom could be flashed through the huawei update utility, not sure though. I know it used to work on winmo devices.

Sent from my Ideos S7

Who Dat

Dec 2, 2010
A custom rom still need to be maide but this is the first step

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

that is interesting. I dont know much about developing bootloaders and roms and such, but i used to flash roms on winmo from the sd card, maybe this would work as we can flash the recovery image from the sd card -

Is it possible to take the recovery image and modify or change it?

If it sounds retarded, please re-read my second sentance.

AAndrew

Dec 26, 2010
Great work perivarlura! I've been a hobbiest C programmer for about a year now, and I can safely say that what you've done is far beyond me. :D

Is there any way we could be of assistance to this project?

Also, this could lead to a custom ROM for the S7, correct?

Last edited:

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
Great work perivarlura! I've been a hobbiest C programmer for about a year now, and I can safely say that what you've done is far beyond me. :D

Is there any way we could be of assistance to this project?

Also, this could lead to a custom ROM for the S7, correct?

Yes, it could lead to a custom rom. I've looked into the different branches of the kernels now trying to figure out this framebuffer issue, and the one used for Dell Streak is the one that seems most similiar to our system.
I figures I might as well try to make it work on a new kernel, so a custom rom could be developed, instead of hacking it into something thats out dated.

If I'm able to make it work (which I'm sure i will at one point), we have support for froyo at least, but i'm still having some difficulties with the lcd driver.

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
@perivarlura
I have a few question.
1.do we need a new build kernel to make recovery to work or we can use the original one?
2.can you add the app2sd on recovery - or make the right script to mount ext2 partition on sdcard/sdcard2?
3.on what i find the original kernel it dos not have support for framebufer - are you trying to inplement this by your own?

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
Well guys, I went through the motions just to see if I got different results than the OP. That would be no! I ported clockworkmod recovery from the cyanogenmod source and ended up with the same double screen results that have already been accomplished (see pic).

So clearly the next step is to compile a custom kernel. I have been slowly working on the kernel but now that I see there is no hope for the recovery as is, I will step it up.

Attachments

• $IMG_0756.JPG
    $IMG_0756.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 1,284
Last edited:

pegaxs

Nov 27, 2010
Just throwing an idea out there... could this be related to anyone using LCD density app ?? It's something most of us seem to use and i remember it from a Linux build i did years ago where the screen would show up similar to this because the resolution of the drivers would not match that of the LCD monitor it was connected up to...

Now if only i can remember what we did to fix it... :/

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
Just throwing an idea out there... could this be related to anyone using LCD density app ?? It's something most of us seem to use and i remember it from a Linux build i did years ago where the screen would show up similar to this because the resolution of the drivers would not match that of the LCD monitor it was connected up to...

Now if only i can remember what we did to fix it... :/

If you look in the log in the cache catalog for the recovery, you'll see that its complaining about missing framebuffer support.
Still trying to get the 2.6.32 kernel running, but its not easy, not having any console output for the device during boot.
If we had an rs232 connection or similar to the hardware on the tablet, this would be much easier...

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I had a fresh firmware install when I pulled boot.img so definitely no interference from anything.

I haven't looked in to the framebuffering issue but couldn't we just add frame buffering support to the .29 kernel? It seems like it would be easier to compile since we have the source. I know cwr and amon will run on .29 just fine, the huawei kernel just wasn' built very well.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo

perivarlura

Nov 27, 2010
I had a fresh firmware install when I pulled boot.img so definitely no interference from anything.

I haven't looked in to the framebuffering issue but couldn't we just add frame buffering support to the .29 kernel? It seems like it would be easier to compile since we have the source. I know cwr and amon will run on .29 just fine, the huawei kernel just wasn' built very well.

Since I've got recovery "working" now, for me the next step is to get the 2.6.32+ (froyo) kernel running, as the frambuffer debugging just messed up everything even more.The best result i had with the released kernel source, did remove the duplication, but it "skipped" in the menu, so you only saw every 2nd step, which made it even more impossible to use the recovery.

So my focus is now to get 2.6.32 running, and I think I'm making progress, though, its difficult without a screen console / debug as I said before, all kernel panics, or other errors are left in the dark atm.

But if someone can make it work for 2.6.29 nothing is better, though we will still be stuck at eclair, as froyo depends on 2.6.32 or higher.

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I would love to see the .32 up and running but froyo can run on .29

My froyo rom for the droid eris...

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1294533210196.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1294533210196.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 787

razor950

Nov 25, 2010
You need a few patches on .29 to be able to run froyo but yes it is possible!

I was gonna give it a go but doing such as task yourself without much motivation, I enjoy hacking android devices and I did like the S7 for the short time I had it but I just didn't have the motivation.

Now, if we setup a github and you two will/can help out with patching then I'll consider, mind you I don't know everything that needs to get patched.