Rejoice! Cheap Is Cheerful

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The UbiSlate 7Ci is really interesting. I've owned chargers that cost
more than this little tablet. At $38, it's miraculous that it does anything at all,
let alone function as an Android device.
This $38 tablet might not be much, but next year's one will be. What we're witnessing isn't corner cutting, but tech getting better and more affordable.
Steven Sinofsky, former Microsoft Windows president, reckons this is part of a wider trend. The ongoing march of Moore's Law will see device costs "continue to drop precipitously in price to what seems today like ridiculous levels, such as ones we've seen at discount super stores this holiday shopping season in the US. If automobiles are any indication, we should not assume low price is equivalent to low quality for the long term."
Source: techradar.com

Wolfen69

Sep 30, 2013
But, you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. It will do the very basics, and probably slow at that. Forget playing any good games on it.

There's a Proscan 7" tablet for sale at the store where I work for $79, and people are returning them like crazy. I think people's expectations may be too high for such a cheap device. In my experience, if you do not get a tab with at least a dual-core cpu and 1gb RAM, you are going to be disappointed with the performance.

Yeah, technology getting cheaper is always good, but people need to realize they will be severely limited by buying most low end devices.

I bought the Nexus 7 2013 for $229, and feel it was a good deal because it's one of the best, if not THE best 7" tablet around. And will be relevant for some time to come with regular updates directly from Google. Good luck trying to update a cheap, generic device.

jrclen

Dec 12, 2013
As technology and competition advance, lower prices will not necessarily mean low quality or poor performance. I bought my first 486 computer for $329. In the year before, some of my friends had bought their fancy new 386 machines for upwards of $2000. And upgrading the ram in that 486 cost me $160 for 4 MEG. Yes MEG. Now 4 GIG of better and faster ram can be had for under $60.

I agree that at the present time, a cheap tablet buys one just that, a cheap tablet. But I predict that in the future better tablets than we have now will cost less than what we paid.

Wolfen69

Sep 30, 2013
I agree that at the present time, a cheap tablet buys one just that, a cheap tablet. But I predict that in the future better tablets than we have now will cost less than what we paid.
Yeah, like I said, at the moment cheap tablets are going to disappoint most people. But even in the future when cheap tablets start running better hardware, OS/app requirements will also go up, making the "better" hardware still cheap and not run as good as more expensive units. The bottom line is, if you want performance beyond the basics, you need to pay for it. It has always been that way.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
But, you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. It will do the very basics, and probably slow at that. Forget playing any good games on it.

There's a Proscan 7" tablet for sale at the store where I work for $79, and people are returning them like crazy. I think people's expectations may be too high for such a cheap device. In my experience, if you do not get a tab with at least a dual-core cpu and 1gb RAM, you are going to be disappointed with the performance.

Yeah, technology getting cheaper is always good, but people need to realize they will be severely limited by buying most low end devices.

I bought the Nexus 7 2013 for $229, and feel it was a good deal because it's one of the best, if not THE best 7" tablet around. And will be relevant for some time to come with regular updates directly from Google. Good luck trying to update a cheap, generic device.

Walmart has quad core tablets for less than $100, people just made the wrong choice, the proscan is a single core and will act like a single core.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Wolfen69

Sep 30, 2013
Walmart has quad core tablets for less than $100, people just made the wrong choice, the proscan is a single core and will act like a single core.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone
Show me which one. I was just at Wally World and did not see that one. The only one I saw under 100 was the RCA single core for $69.

Btw, even if a quad core was available for less than $100, it doesn't automatically mean it's an awesome tablet.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Show me which one. I was just at Wally World and did not see that one. The only one I saw under 100 was the RCA single core for $69.

Btw, even if a quad core was available for less than $100, it doesn't automatically mean it's an awesome tablet.

it means it's better than a single core.

Ematic HD Quad Core 7" Tablet 8GB Memory Featuring Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) with Google Play: Computers : Walmart.com

Nobis 7" Quad Core Tablet with Google Mobile Services, 8GB Memory, HD screen, Dual Webcams and HDMI: Computers : Walmart.com
simply go to walmart website the number of tablets they sale will blow your mind.

Wolfen69

Sep 30, 2013
Not bad for the price. For someone wanting a halfway decent tablet experience, I suppose it will do. But these no name companies do not usually provide updates, so you will have the same OS for the life of the tablet. To each their own, but I'll still stay with my Nexus 7.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Let's not forget that even the 2012 Nexus 7 debuted with best-in-class specs and a price that was easy on the wallet, with the 8GB model priced at $199. Other tablet manufacturers began to follow in Google’s footsteps by offering tablets with decent specs at lower prices to compete with the Nexus 7. The 2013 Nexus 7 is once again leading the low-cost, high-end charge. It’s encouraging to know that not everything has to be depressingly overpriced. I personally feel that there is a change for the better taking place in the budget Android market, not only at the low end, but also at the high end. Or perhaps users were fine with the way things were before cheaper high-end tablets began to be released? Share your thoughts and voice your opinions during this season of giving.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all posters and loyal readers!