Relatively new Android user: question about multi-tasking on an Android tablet.

zoup

Jan 6, 2013
I'm sort of new to Android and I was wondering how I could not only open more than one app at a time, but switch between two or more running apps, sort of like the Alt+tab feature in Windows. The device is pretty cheap, so the operator's manual isn't of much help. I'm using the device to listen to audio speeches while jotting down notes.

And how can I do this on a Android 2.3 7 tablet?

The device is a new CrystalView XT (two-in-one notebook/tablet) and comes with a keyboard.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can't open more than one app at a time in Android (Samsung has made special changes to allow it on some of their devices). To quickly switch between running apps long press (press and hold) the home button to see running apps and switch between them.

JP

zoup

Jan 6, 2013
You can't open more than one app at a time in Android (Samsung has made special changes to allow it on some of their devices). To quickly switch between running apps long press (press and hold) the home button to see running apps and switch between them.

JP

So there would be no way I could listen to audio and jot down notes and information while frequently going back and manipulating the audio/video player (pause, play, rewind, etc.)?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No, that's not entirely accurate. You just can't have the music player and the note app open on the screen at the same time. Android can multi-task, just not multi-window. So if you play a music app it will continue to run in the background while you do other things like read or take notes. To quickly change the track you can usually open the notification bar and find music app controls for quick changes. You can also long press the home button as described to quickly jump back and forth between the music app and the notes app if you want to find a specific album to change to for example and then jump back to taking notes.

From the link in my signature.

App switching: Opening and switching applications - Android OS Help

You will probably see controls similar to this in the notification drawer.
$LG-Star-toggles-225x300.jpg

and some controls like this from the app switcher after long pressing the Home button
$6-multitask.png

zoup

Jan 6, 2013
No, that's not entirely accurate. You just can't have the music player and the note app open on the screen at the same time. Android can multi-task, just not multi-window. So if you play a music app it will continue to run in the background while you do other things like read or take notes. To quickly change the track you can usually open the notification bar and find music app controls for quick changes. You can also long press the home button as described to quickly jump back and forth between the music app and the notes app if you want to find a specific album to change to for example and then jump back to taking notes.

From the link in my signature.

App switching: Opening and switching applications - Android OS Help

You will probably see controls similar to this in the notification drawer.
View attachment 9791

and some controls like this from the app switcher after long pressing the Home button
View attachment 9792

Playing around with it now. Awesome! Don't really care about multiple windows, just need to utilize more than one app at once.

Thanks. Much appreciated.