Remote app question

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Does anyone have the ability to control the volume on the TV with the cable box selected?

Its not working on any of my 3 TV's.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Does anyone have the ability to control the volume on the TV with the cable box selected?

In remote control parlance that's called "punch-through." It's where certain controls on a remote automatically "do the right thing." But that only works when things are selected for which a control doesn't make sense. E.g.: Most remotes "know" that if you've selected the disc player, to leave the remote's volume controls on the TV. But some cable boxes have volume controls, so, if you select the cable box, the remote is going to move the volume control to that.

I don't even use the built-in sound on our TV, so I have the volume controls on the remote explicitly programmed for the receiver, regardless of what else is selected.

I don't know if that's possible with the remote capability in the VTAB's app.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011

I just messed with the remote app for the first time. Other than the fact that it doesn't know about the alternate code sets for Panasonic devices (see below), it seems to work pretty well.

In answer to your specific question, dornstar: Yes, the app supports (limited) punch-through. You simply hit the tab's "menu" key (while in the app, of course) and select "Set Volume Control. " Then select the device you want to always control the volume in that room.

Panasonic "alternate code sets": Panasonic provides for the possibility that you'll have two or more of their products with the same remote code sets, so what they do is allow each device/remote pair to use any of nine or ten different code sets. The VTAB unfortunately appears to know only about code set number 1. So, in our case, I cannot control one of our two Panasonic devices, because it's set for code set 2.

Jim

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Thank you so much. Can't believe I didn't think to hit the menu button on the tab for the volume control. It's working great.

Now, I need to figure out how to gethe A, B and C buttons for my cable box so I can watch on demand content.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Thank you so much. Can't believe I didn't think to hit the menu button on the tab for the volume control. It's working great.
You're welcome. Glad I could help :)

Now, I need to figure out how to gethe A, B and C buttons for my cable box so I can watch on demand content.
I don't know about your cable box, but "A," "B," "C" and "D" buttons often relate to "red," "green," "blue" and "yellow" buttons. (N.B.: Not in that order and, in fact, the letter/colour matchups change from remote/device to remote/device.)

Problem is: If the remote app doesn't already have a provision for those buttons/codes: You're probably out-of-luck - at least for now. The tablet, or at least the app, has no provision for learning IR codes and the app currently has no provision for manually entering them, as some remotes do.

I need to find out to where one should send bug reports and suggestions.

Jim

sa2

Oct 7, 2011
This pass through is now fixed on last update. I use the OTA box with volume for tv no problem. Just load up your living room, etc. Then hit menu button and select "select volume control" then choose the pass through usually the TV.

sigel

Oct 28, 2011
Is there a way to get the colored buttons when adding the xbox360? When I load a xbox profile it just gives me the standard.

sa2

Oct 7, 2011
On ota box, I have weird colorful buttons, I didn't/can't choose the colors, but then again I don't care much for the colors. It would be cool to load a background for the remote control kinda like the harmony from logitech.