Remote control android tablets from PC

pitmancd

Dec 7, 2012
I'm surprised how many people don't understand the original question! I, too, was looking for an app/tool that would let me control my Android from a computer.

I finally found something. Goto the Google Play store and search on "VMLite VNC Server". It's pricey but it works.

Here are the general steps:

1. Buy and install the app onto your Anroid.
2. Download the software for your PC (Intel or Mac - I have Windows 7, 64-bit) from the developer's site: VMLite Android App Controller.
3. Run the PC software.
4. Have your Android connected to your local WiFi network.
5. Turn on USB debugging on your Android and connect it to your computer via a USB cable.
6. Run the Android app and start the VNC server.
7. Use a VNC viewer (I used RealVNC) to connect to the address shown on the Android, example: 192.168.1.10:5901

BTW, once connected I was able to remove the USB cable. And I was also able to restart the Android server without the USB cable. However, if I restarted the Android, I had to reattach the USB cable to initially restart the VNC server.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good find. It looks like a developer finally came up with an app to do this "THE FIRST AND ONLY VNC SERVER WITHOUT ROOT REQUIREMENT". It looks like an VNC client will work if you want to use something else in #2.

pitmancd

Dec 7, 2012
#2 is still needed. It enables/starts the server on the Android through USB. This may be why root is not needed.

Also, I just found out how to use a browser instead of a VNC viewer. Once the server is started, enter this into your browser and follow the instructions on the page that comes up: http://localhost:5801

BTW, it worked with both my Acer A500 tablet and HTC EVO 4G phone.

Last edited: