Remote Control

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I dont get why everyone is so negative about the IR remote.There is only one other Android device that I know of that even has IR capabilities and thats the samsung galaxy tab 7.0 plus. So if you look at its competition there really isnt any so I think we are just lucky vizio decided to mess with built in IR at all.

And i really need a copy of the updated remote control app if any body can pull it and share it that would be great thank you

IMA_210

Dec 20, 2011
My version of the remote control app is 1.0, I am still running on v1.4 code, I did not take the upgrade when I connected to wireless. Else I would send you the updated version.

Oct 10, 2011
Yes the Vizio remote app works but in only with very basic and simple functions. Fine for changing channels, volume or starting & stopping a DVD. In my music room I have 2 Sony CDP-CX355 CD changers. Each changer holds 300 CDs. The remote app has this model in memory but only controls power on/off and the stop/play next track/previous track functions. It also allows me to select either of 2 players (the Sony remote allows for 3 units) but the biggest drawback is it does not have a function for changing discs. Not much point in having 600 CDs loaded if you have to get up and walk over to the component stack every time you want to change a disc so the Vizio will certainly not be replacing my Sony remote.

rakstr

Aug 5, 2011
Yes the Vizio remote app works but in only with very basic and simple functions. Fine for changing channels, volume or starting & stopping a DVD. In my music room I have 2 Sony CDP-CX355 CD changers. Each changer holds 300 CDs. The remote app has this model in memory but only controls power on/off and the stop/play next track/previous track functions. It also allows me to select either of 2 players (the Sony remote allows for 3 units) but the biggest drawback is it does not have a function for changing discs. Not much point in having 600 CDs loaded if you have to get up and walk over to the component stack every time you want to change a disc so the Vizio will certainly not be replacing my Sony remote.

Yup, exactly my original point. Another basic remote is not needed on my table. I was hoping for, and told I'd be getting, a full function remote app. For instance, DirecTV has had a standardized set of keys on their remote for years. It shouldn't be much to ask that this app have all the same buttons (trying controlling the DVR with this remote, impossible) AND for Vizio's own TVs. I have 9 Vizio TVs from 20" to 65" and as old as 2007 (remember the $1500 Black Friday 32" @ Sams?). I like their products and that is why I'm very disappointed.

Sorry that some think that honest criticism is unacceptable. The hope was that Vizio may actually be taking some feedback from these forums. I know DirecTV does.

Last edited:

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Yup, exactly my original point. Another basic remote is not needed on my table. I was hoping for, and told I'd be getting, a full function remote app. For instance, DirecTV has had a standardized set of keys on their remote for years. It shouldn't be much to ask that this app have all the same buttons (trying controlling the DVR with this remote, impossible) AND for Vizio's own TVs. I have 9 Vizio TVs from 20" to 65" and as old as 2007 (remember the $1500 Black Friday 32" @ Sams?). I like their products and that is why I'm very disappointed.

Sorry that some think that honest criticism is unacceptable. The hope was that Vizio may actually be taking some feedback from these forums. I know DirecTV does.
Not quite sure what version of the remote app I have but it works just fine on my directv dvr and hd dvr. I'm rooted and have whatever came with 1.4 before the update. My app has the red, green, yellow and blue colored buttons for the different options in the menus.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I got the last version 1.4 build 1.9.57 ... I will attach the remote control app that is in this version hope you will notice the different its 3 mega so download it from this link

click here to download

And Merry Christmas

This is great, thank you so much for sharing. I am wondering how you pulled it from the device? Also I have tried this app and it installs fine and it will let me open it but when I try to set it up with a device it force closes on me, I was hoping we could get some bright minds in here and figure out how to get this app to work on the older OS version

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
This is great, thank you so much for sharing. I am wondering how you pulled it from the device? Also I have tried this app and it installs fine and it will let me open it but when I try to set it up with a device it force closes on me, I was hoping we could get some bright minds in here and figure out how to get this app to work on the older OS version
actually most prg`s didnt pull the app the application that did pull it is AirDroid ... I export app to pc ... when you install it did it tell you upgrade or overwrite the old app .... actually when i try to install SwiftKey tablet ( newer version ) it didnt work well coz I got old app and new app work together which make error and force the new app to close .... if you got root ... you can try uninstall the old remote app after backup it .... and then install the new one ... it is just an idea

rakstr

Aug 5, 2011
Not quite sure what version of the remote app I have but it works just fine on my directv dvr and hd dvr. I'm rooted and have whatever came with 1.4 before the update. My app has the red, green, yellow and blue colored buttons for the different options in the menus.

For DirecTV, it's missing some of the most used buttons for playback (skip <>), menu, numbers are an extra click away, ... Like I said, it's just not a complete remote. Look at this remote control app - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cognitial.directvremote&feature=search_result, it's outstanding and free. I expected Vizio to provide similar for their own TVs as well (Again, NO 3D button for their 65" 3D set??????), a GUI that looks and acts like the remote you got with the set, isn't that the WHOLE PURPOSE of using a device with this kind of power as a remote? The programmable nature and flexible display have been holding back universal remotes for years. Just another basic incomplete remote is nothing new.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
actually most prg`s didnt pull the app the application that did pull it is AirDroid ... I export app to pc ... when you install it did it tell you upgrade or overwrite the old app .... actually when i try to install SwiftKey tablet ( newer version ) it didnt work well coz I got old app and new app work together which make error and force the new app to close .... if you got root ... you can try uninstall the old remote app after backup it .... and then install the new one ... it is just an idea

Your right it said replace not upgrade, I then used titanium backup to uninstall the remote app and installed the new one and it still wouldnt work so I reinstalled the old one and tried installing over it which it would install and the new one would work on setting up some new devices like my xbox, but i noticed it only worked on devices that were already there in the old version. Then I rebooted to see if that would jump start it and to my surprise the old version was installed again. So my conclusion is that the remote app must use another feature that is built into the system ( which i havent found yet ) but we might be able to use root explorer to get it set up correctly. I will do some more testing, it would just be a lot easier if we could find a way to root the newest update

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
well I think the remote app didnt get much in upgrade .... by the way I found it also in update.zip ... actually i found all apk in update.zip that tselling provide ... I will attach the remote .apk from update.zip ... try it .. i am suspecting in something ... try it and tell me if there any change or if it work ... I think apk change after they install or remove signed key ... so this is supposed to work well if I am right ...

Download here

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
Awesome where did you find the zipped files at?
i found remote .apk in update.zip ... so i put it in .zip to upload it didnt came as .zip ... remote .apk I found it in update.zip ... look @ this post post here who found update.zip is tselling @ xda forum .. I hope thing`s are clear now :)