Remote Desktop App

razorbackcpa

Nov 18, 2012
I currently have a media PC hooked up to my television running Windows 8. I want to purchase a tablet that I can use a remote control for my PC, mostly launching Netflix and Hulu Plus or other video streaming services. Before I purchase a tablet, I was curious if anyone has done this successfully, how smooth the application runs (assuming the tablet and the PC are on the same WiFi network), and which tablet would be best to achieve this goal?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

I would first suggest to make sure the tablet you get has access to the Google Play store so you can get the Netflix app. Then you do not need to use a PC to watch netflix. In my experience, netflix on my tablet is quite good. Not quite FULL HD quality, but extremely watchable and great quality.

For Hulu, I think remote desktop apps will probably be best, my favorite is Splashtop. I have not tried it with Hulu, but it is pretty good and I can watch 720p video streamed on my local network with no stuttering (media center recordings).

I am not going to say which tablet is best, there are a lot of good ones out there. I will say that if you stick with the name brands (Sony, Acer, Asus, Samsung, Google Nexus, Toshiba) they are all gonna be quality tablets that last you a few years, and get updates pretty quick. If you go with some of the other lesser known brands, they may do the job, but they may not offer the same support and upgrades as quickly.

razorbackcpa

Nov 18, 2012
Thank you for the response, Frederuco. I think I may have created some confusion on what I am trying to do. I don't necessarily want to watch the videos on my tablet, I want to use the tablet to control my PC so I can watch videos on my TV. That being said, the Netflix app would be nice for when I am traveling. I have heard about Splashtop, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I need. Using this, will I be able to click/double click on icons with the touch screen abilities (mostly from the Windows 8 metro screen), or does it only allow me to control my mouse pointer though the tablet?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Splashtop brings the entire PC experience to the tablet, not just the mouse. There are also some remote control apps to use your tablet as an input device, but I have not tried any of them out.

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
I have installed 'splashtop' app today in both my computer & iPad. It works fine. Good option to go for wireless access of computer at home.
Screen size is getting some issue. have to fix it.

pandyarenu

Nov 30, 2012
Today technology will increasing more and more, with this technology everything is possible. Many new things are developed by using this, i like this remote desktop application very much, it's really great technology, we can connect the tablet to our tv.

annaharris

Aug 28, 2012
Using the splashtop application to control your directly support idevice allow your interact with your screen, HD video and support audio file.