Renaming stock apps

modernimage

Nov 13, 2011
Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have a Disgo 6000 running 2.2 straight from the box. I have installed Z4Root and Terminal Emulator and have so far been able to delete the WeatherForecastLondon.apk file, however when I try and rename the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to a .bak I get and error message saying no such file. When I perform the ls command both apk files are there! I have enabled SU in the prompt line and I'm using the command

mv Phone.apk Phone.bak

What other stock apps are worth removing? I did try and do a search as I believe I sa on a previous post a list of apps that could be safely removed.

Thanks in advance

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have a Disgo 6000 running 2.2 straight from the box. I have installed Z4Root and Terminal Emulator and have so far been able to delete the WeatherForecastLondon.apk file, however when I try and rename the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to a .bak I get and error message saying no such file. When I perform the ls command both apk files are there! I have enabled SU in the prompt line and I'm using the command

mv Phone.apk Phone.bak

What other stock apps are worth removing? I did try and do a search as I believe I sa on a previous post a list of apps that could be safely removed.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

Caution with removing or renaming any stock application with 2.2. On the original Disgo 6000 with 2.1 renaming those stock applications did produce better results but it is NOT needed in 2.2.

With a little more searching and reading you'll find many more references to what if any tweaks are useful in 2.2 but caution in applying tweaks originally for 2.1.

Several users have reported issues with renaming/deleting -

Browser.apk
Launcher1.apk
Phone.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk

The following stock applications do not seem to cause issues if renamed/deleted, therefore, they can be changed if desired -

CalendarWidget.apk
DeskClock.apk
droidreader-0.5.apk
FileManager.apk
Laputa3.0.3.apk
sam4.apk
Term.apk
WeatherForecast.apk

PS REQUEST - There are Disgo users still on 2.1 since NO official update exists for the tablet. Can you provide a dump of the mtd2 "resv" partition for investigation to see if it contains a backup system image which could assist original Disgo users? http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...users-time-unite-request-official-update.html

Last edited:

modernimage

Nov 13, 2011
Thanks for your information.
I did manage to rename Phone.apk using Androotfile and so far haven't had any issues. What sort of issues could happen with removing/renaming Phone and TelephonyProvider out of interest?
I cannot get hdmi to work even though the device says HDMI is connected, any pointers?
Happy to provide a dump if you can give me simple instructions.

Thanks again for your assistance

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your information.
I did manage to rename Phone.apk using Androotfile and so far haven't had any issues. What sort of issues could happen with removing/renaming Phone and TelephonyProvider out of interest?
Multiple "Force Close" requiring "Factory Reset" which wipes all application requiring re-installing.

I cannot get hdmi to work even though the device says HDMI is connected, any pointers?

Excerpt from thread 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/10733-disgo-6000-mini-hdmi.html#post66684

I finally got an answer from the Disgo support staff:

"Please try pressing the Menu button on the rear of the device when the cable is properly connected between the Tablet and the TV. This should project the image from the tablet to TV."

This works!

Yeah!

Happy to provide a dump if you can give me simple instructions.

Thanks again for your assistance
Steps to dump discussed in Request - Disgo 6000 users with pre-installed 2.2 dump mtd2 "resv" partition. Once the image is saved to the micro SD card it can be uploaded to a download site for investigation. It should be about 128 Mb. It can be viewed with a Hex editor. If it contains all "ffffffff" it is padding and useless. If it contains data then it will require some further investigation to identify what it does contain and if it is usable. Thanks.

Last edited:

modernimage

Nov 13, 2011
Hi
I've managed to dump an image(resv.img 128mb) onto the device(local) memory but when I transfer it to a usb stick it shows 0 bytes on the device and doesn't appeartick on the usb s when plugged into my laptop. What am I doing wrong?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hi
I've managed to dump an image(resv.img 128mb) onto the device(local) memory but when I transfer it to a usb stick it shows 0 bytes on the device and doesn't appeartick on the usb s when plugged into my laptop. What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing, these devices are problematic. Attempt to use another memory device which may require formatting in another device such as a camera or phone. Here are a few variations of the command however, the only one utilized and tested is the /sdcard.

Code:
$su
#
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]#dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/[B]sdcard[/B]/resv.img bs=4096[/FONT][/COLOR]

Code:
#dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/[B]local[/B][FONT=Verdana]/resv.img bs=4096[/FONT]

Code:
#dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/[B]udisk1[/B][FONT=Verdana]/resv.img bs=4096[/FONT]

Last edited:

modernimage

Nov 13, 2011
Experimented last night and managed to dump to udisk1.

Do you want to pm me or shall I post the dump as a zip file?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Experimented last night and managed to dump to udisk1.

Do you want to pm me or shall I post the dump as a zip file?

Check it out with a Hex editor and see if it contains any data or if its all just padding "ffffffff".

If there is data please upload/post for investgstion.

Thanks!

Sent from my p7901ui using Android Tablet Forum

modernimage

Nov 13, 2011
Does anyone have a copy of TelephonyProvider.apk in case I need to restore it?
I did back it up using Titanium but cannot find it at the moment. The tablet so far has been stable since renaming Phone and deleting TelephonyProvider and appears to be loading quicker with better battery life although this could be just me thinking I've made a difference!

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone have a copy of TelephonyProvider.apk in case I need to restore it?
I did back it up using Titanium but cannot find it at the moment. The tablet so far has been stable since renaming Phone and deleting TelephonyProvider and appears to be loading quicker with better battery life although this could be just me thinking I've made a difference!
Please provide the Hardware Id "hwver". It is either noted in Settings or can be obtained with the following command.

$cat proc/cmdline

Compu_Guy

Nov 26, 2011
I went ahead and tried this on my SYTAB10ST running 2.2 with the phone.apk and Telephony.apk. After renaming phone.apk, Android kept throwing a force close. I reset the tablet and when it came back, everything was good. I then renamed Telephony just fine. There doesn't appear to be anything strange. It seems a little more snappy. Might just be me. :)

jatke

Nov 26, 2011
Did renaming the Phone & Telephony.apks reduce battery usage by Cell Standby? My 10ST shows Cell Standby routinely accounting for ~80% of battery usage. The prospects of increased performance and battery life certainly seem attainable if Cell Standby's load on the system were removed.

$Battery Usage.jpg
Typical 10ST battery use graph

Last edited:

Compu_Guy

Nov 26, 2011
It should improve it a lot. It took me a minute to finally get to the Battery Usage screen, but I only show Display and Wi-Fi. Nothing else. My Display is at 72% and my Wi-Fi is at 28%. Seems like it fixes that issue. I can check my wife's later tonight. I haven't done this on hers and see what it says.

Last edited:

jatke

Nov 26, 2011
I'm seeing similar - only Display (63%) & WIFI (38%). Now Im curious to see what the before & after Quadrant benchmarks reveal.

$Battery Usage2.jpg