Replacement for Archos 705 / Bit of fun

penny1stu1

Sep 18, 2010
HI,

Whats the best choice currently for replacing my 2 Archos 705's.

Seem to be alot of 7" apads about, some with rockchips and some with via, then 128 or 256 RAM.

Whats the best choice, lets say for under £150????

I like fiddling so updateing, new ROMS etc so that would be nice to be able to do.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You would be wise to wait in my opinion. The Gen 8 Archos is just around the corner if you still like the Gen 6 705. The Gen 8 Archos are lighter and would have that familiarity. The downside is the lack of storage. Not sure which size of drives you have on the 705 but if you like your music/video library always with you, most of the other MID tablets right now will leave you disappointed
The 705 is a large PMP (Personal Media Player). Most tablets are designed to be MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices)
Pricing will drop as we get close to Christmas for the holiday sales. I forget the VAT, but it can put a crimp in the buy at well. In the US, the majority of brand name tablets will start to be available late October/early November. This will impact the prices on the generics out of China currently. They will drop to amazing levels.
I would avoid the devices with the VIA 8505 chipset as you will be disappointed in the video quality. The RockChip and Tele... and any of the newer chipsets would meet your needs. These have more powerful processing capability to handle the video
Look around, turn about twice and then look again. You will find lower prices have dropped on some of the products and better tablets available.