Replacement USB Cable

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So, after a little less than 6 weeks use, and I am a very careful user, both ends of my USB cable for my Transformer have started to crack and come apart. I blame this on poor manufacturing, poor design (really folks, stop putting charger ports on the BOTTOMS of tablets), and the very short length of the cable. I was able to buy a replacement adapter and cable from MicroCenter for $29.99, and the cable that comes with that is 2 feet longer than the original so I am ok for now, but I have also posted to the ASUS website about this and will copy this group here on what happens.

I have used my gTablet for over a year, I have also extensively test the Xoom, the Galaxy and the Huawei devices and played with others, this is the first time I have had a USB cable issue. Since it happened at both ends as well, I know that it is something more than an anomoly.

Here is the post I sent to Asus via their customer service site:

To Whom it May Concern:

Due the very short length of the USB Cord, and the placement of the charging port, and the sub-standard manfacture of the USB cable the plastic at both ends of the cable around the metal of the USB plug and the ASUS Tablet plug has cracked and come off exposing the plugs and making the entire cable very unstable.

I have purchased a replacement USB Cable and Charger (US Adapter Kit) for $29.99 from MicroCenter, but am wondering if you will replace the original charger since this device is less than 6 weeks old, and has been treated very carefully.

I await some form of response, thank you.
Peter Brauer

--

I will be sure to post any responses I get

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
I found the same issue with the cable, and like you, I am very careful with it. I was suprised since Asus usually makes good products.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Still waiting for a response

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So here is the update. Nothing new, and not even a response. Escalating if I can but at this point I am pretty underwhelmed at Asus Support.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I know a lot of users have had issues getting email responses from ASUS which is pretty weak since they are a global tech company.

You could try a phone call to them and you should get a quick answer. I had to RMA my dock for the battery drain it it took less than 5 minutes on the phone.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Phones have been horrible, and the IM Chat function has also been offline. I know I could get this done via phone, but honestly right now I am also trying to test and report their full customer service spectrum.