Reported WiFi Issues w/A28, A32, A43, A70, A101

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Archos reports using WiFi Buddy for Android shows 103% signal where a PanDigital 9" Tablet shows 110% signal on 802.11n and Maylong M150A10 Tablet shows 103% signal. All 3 tablets the WiFi bar is at peak performance using the TL-WR1043ND. This Gig/N300 with USB networking seems to do a much better job than everything I got here. Shoot if I can get for $50 bucks with free shipping I'll get another one and put in in the garage area. Single down there is about 4 out 5 bars.

waga

Oct 21, 2010
A28 had same issues connect 15 seconds then drop connect again-drop-connect-then get unable to connect. Have D-Link 615 changed setting to TPIK only instead AES and TIPK (??? right abv. ???) have on mixed b/g/n put on channel 1. now stays online but does drop signal when screen sleeps. - connects again when woken up. Do have WIFI buddy set not to shut of WIFI but still does.

Last edited:

geobjork

Dec 12, 2010
I don't know what has happened to my A70IT, for the last couple of days it has not disconnected from WiFi that often, may be three-four times. In the beginning it disconnected every three to five minutes, reading newspapers. I don't know if it does automatic updates without me knowing it. Anybody know if that is possible? I have not tested it on other networks than my own, settings: channel 1, WPA2, so the channel 11 issue remains to be seen.

The changes I've made myself are I switced to Dolphin HD browser and disabeled JavaScript. That made a significant improvement to download speed, but thats another issue. I use the standard browser with JavaScript enabeled if needed.

I must say that when A70IT works, it is great. It is fast, great screen and good battery life. I have seen some complaints that it is slow, that is not the case with mine anymore, and I was ready to return it. I really hope it stays like this. Right now I'm totally satisfied with it, knock on wood!

The fact that it works like this leads me to believe it's not a hardware issue, also that it now works with WPA2 indicates some kind of software changes, Android or Archos?

Pompeybear

Dec 16, 2010
Hello, I just received an Archos 101 . It is a christmas present but persuaded the wife to let me test it before she wraps it up.

Started it up and was running on 2.1 , connection to router was good, it connected to internet and was generally pretty good.

I then seen that it could be updated to 2.2. Update went smoothly..........connection to router is good , but now I have no connection to the internet for anything! WTF is going on. How can I be connected to router but have no internet access, my iphone , xbox, pc and mrs HTC android 2.2 can use the internet. why not this?

Can I roll it back to 2.1 or after reading this thread will a different router clear the problem. I have changed channels , encoding , resets etc. Nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions

geobjork

Dec 12, 2010
I read in a forum that you can't roll it back to 2.1, apparently 2.1 gets erased when 2.2 is installed.

As far as I know, the A70IT and the A101IT are the same except for the seize. My A70IT also connected with 2.1 installed, but it kept on disconnecting and reconnecting very frequently, the connection indicator on the top bar disappeared. After upgrading to 2.2 the disconnecting was not as frequent and the indicator remained also when I lost contact with the net, until, for no explainable reasons, everything works perfect. (I fold my hands).

I notice that you have done the known things, channel and encryption, I myself do not believe in the story about WAP2, and in several forums the channel story is also in question since they have tried under channel 11 with no success. What I would do is to try to connect it to another network if you can and see if it works. You have already proved that the device has the capability to connect to your router when it did with 2.1 installed. I "feel your frustration" and can only wish you good luck.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
It's the same chips used in all A28, A32, A43, A70 and A101. They all have the same issue with WiFi. I've gone through many of the routers I use for testing here. Even got one from TP-LINK that seems work. Some Atheros chips don't play nice. Now there's seem to be another update. But problem is the keyboard is not accurate along with the WiFi. The battery doesn't seem to last long on a charge. Some people have complain about the power button being faulty. I haven't seen that yet. But once these tablets freezes it a real pain to unlock them.

geobjork

Dec 12, 2010
Today the happy news came to all Archos owners with WiFi problems, an update that should solve all those problems. The update installed without issue, updatetd a few of my apps and everything looked fine. 5 minutes on the net and I am back to the problems I had before. I should never have done the update, in version 2.0.54 the problems had disapeared, now on 2.0.71 they are back, I again have to turn off WiFi and reconnect every 5 minutes to get back on the net. Well, this is frustrating. Now what?

Pompeybear

Dec 16, 2010
Well an update on my situation, got onto neighbours wifi without so much as a problem ! Stable and quick. So my next solution is a new router. Hopefully that will sort it. It's a bit **** that my tablet connected to my router before the froyo update and now it will not connect to it. Even after this latest update . For info I am currently running a netgear dgn1000 . Anybody got any suggestions on router I should buy ?

Pompeybear

Dec 16, 2010
I have the happy news that my 101 is now working as it should . I got rid of the netgear and bought a tp link router. I now have Internet connection . Not happy this cost me £60 to get things working . But tbh it seems to be worth the hassle. Now just need to get the google on there!

geobjork

Dec 12, 2010
It seems that I have found a source for my problems staying connected to Internet with my A70IT. When I
connect I get a notification that the traffic is blocked by the firewall (Windows Vista) on my PC that is
right next to me. When checking my firewall control there is a WLARP.exe that is disabled, and immediately
when that is enabled I can surf with the Archos without problems. I can also see on the Network Traffic
meter there is activity when using the A70IT. The strange thing is that this does not happen when I use my
A7HT. Anybody know what this is? I thought that the different units where independent from each other.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I'm getting the Archos next week. I hope I don't have any wifi problems. I have a Netgear G router with my Tivos hooked up to the network also. I will be taking mine to my work also and we have a guest wifi for guest that I use all the time to connect on my phone. And an occasional visit to Starbucks I may bring it. I am looking forward to getting my Archos and hope I don't have any problems.

Pompeybear

Dec 16, 2010
As I said previously it had something tp do with my netgear, as I tried it on old netgear also. The problem persisted. My 101 seems to now work on the 3 other wifi's I have tried it on.

ratickle

Dec 17, 2010
Today the happy news came to all Archos owners with WiFi problems, an update that should solve all those problems. The update installed without issue, updatetd a few of my apps and everything looked fine. 5 minutes on the net and I am back to the problems I had before. I should never have done the update, in version 2.0.54 the problems had disapeared, now on 2.0.71 they are back, I again have to turn off WiFi and reconnect every 5 minutes to get back on the net. Well, this is frustrating. Now what?

After installing the 16-Dec-2010 update from Archos, half of my Wi-Fi problems went away. I can now connect to Wireless-G using WPA2+AES (and every other combination), but my A70 will still NOT connect to Wireless-N only hotspots regardless of the encryption used. Hopefully January will bring another firmware update from Archos that will fix this last problem.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I am going to offer a dose of a reality analogy here. Unless you have 100Mbit FIOS to your home, or have a media center like environment at your home, you are better off on the stability of a G network Think in these terms as of Dec 2010.
1. The average user has a 4Mbit or less download to their home. This means the max download throughput will be 4Mbit from anywhere on the Internet. If you are unsure, use DSLreports.com speed tests to discover your upload/download speed from a wired connection.
2. The home internet of a G WLAN is 54Mbit under perfect conditions and most have a variance of 11-48Mbit variance in their house. The N is about 118Mbit but the sensitivity is even higher and speed drops by a fern plant or Microwave in between you and your tablet.
3. Most Tablets have horrible antennas so unless you amplify your signal on the router, the performance is variable x3 or more.
4. So let's put it all together. You have a 54 Mbit performance at best to your router and then it chokes to your 4Mbit NAT front-end Router.
And I am not going to touch the variables of latency on the Internet itself.

The best analogy is you may have a garden hose of network flow (.5inch/13mm) at your home, but depending upon your ISP provider it may be like a squirt gun size filter for a 256Kbit link to a Pencil thickness of throughput with a 10Mbit connection.

Bottomline an N network is great until you hit your Internet network interface. You will get more bang for your buck by buying a better Border router than a faster internal speed.