[REQ][RECOVERY] Recovery Image for MID 7,8,1024

MarioCG

Aug 23, 2011
Hi all

First, I'd like to thank all users of this forum who's helping me to buy my tablet (a Coby Kyros Mid1024) and solve lots of questions.

I'm brazilian and Kyros tablets are very popular around here.

As a contribution [here] you can have a solution to the backup and restore problem, plus a way to expand internal storage memory of a Coby Kyros 7024 (and all devices which uses microSD as internal storage memory).

For those who have problems with translating from portuguese to english, PM me and I can provide a good translation.

Cheers

EDIT#1: I can post the translation in an attachmed file, if it is allowed by mods.
EDIT#2: I'll take my chances. The tutorial is rather long, so it's zipped.

Attachments

• $Memory expand for Coby Kyros.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:

javier2

May 2, 2011
This is wonderful! not only for expanding memory but also for making backup of the whole system in case of bricking the tablet!!!!!
OBRIGADO!!!!!

crashangel

Aug 18, 2011
Hi all

First, I'd like to thank all users of this forum who's been helping me to buy my tablet (a Coby Kyros Mid1024) and solve lots of problems.

I'm brazilian and Kyros tablets are very popular around here.

As a contribution [here] you can have a solution to the backup and restore problem, plus a way to expand internal storage memory of a Coby Kyros 7024 (and all devices which uses microSD as internal storage memory).

For those who have problems with translating from portuguese to english, PM me and I can provide a good translation.

Cheers

EDIT#1: I can post the translation in an attachmed file, if it is allowed by mods.
EDIT#2: I'll take my chances. The tutorial is rather long, so it's zipped.

Hi,

You can be uploading original rom from 1024 for Download ???

Thanks!

MarioCG

Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

You can be uploading original rom from 1024 for Download ???

Thanks!

Hi Crashangel
I'm sorry. I can't because I didn't receive mine yet. Nonetheless, as long as I receive and warranty time be expired (vendor gave me 3 months), I will open it and make an image of the original system. It will be available soon. I hope this is not too long for you. Meantime, maybe another user of the forum can carry on this procedure and post his image to you, although I suspect that only desperate users who has already crashed their systems will read this post. :D

;-)

Caibel

Aug 27, 2011
So, I tried to update the firmware on my 1024 and bricked it. Twice. I didn't unbrick it. I just put a different update on the external SD card and it used that one instead of the update on the internal SD card. I'm pretty pissed about it to be honest because I've only had it for one day. I'm also kinda irritated with Coby for not having 3.0 on it to begin with since the chipset can definitely handle it (hell, the Nook Color can run 3.1). Anyways, if anybody happens to have the original firmware that I can install you'd be saving my sanity. Thanks!

Caibel

Aug 27, 2011
Based on ZenTsang's findings and a chat with Coby's less than stellar tech support I'm thinking the recovery image is already in our hands. Tech support stated that you can recover back to factory original by holding the home + power button and selecting from the menu. They also said we would loose everything we installed and setup on the tablet. In my mind the easiest way for them to do that is to apply an existing img stored on the tablet. I'm a bit swamped today but perhaps tonight I'll start looking for a " larger than usual " file on my tablet. Been trying to pull root explorer from my phone, ( I paid for it ) but have not located the apk yet. Estrongs search does not seem to work.

Since you've already paid for Root Explorer, then you probably won't mind what I'm suggesting.

There is an app called Share App by andy_apk buried in the Market. Download it and go to the Share List and search for Root Explorer, download and install. This doesn't require root access. If you can't find Share App, then let me know and I'll upload the APK for you.

Kiserian

Aug 28, 2011
Hi there. Not all readers of this post had bricked their tabs, im just learning a bit about this tab xD. Mmm... has someone tried to use a parition program after extracting the sd card from the tab? Theres a slight chaance that sd card can be partitioned to protect critical data from it. Btw, if coby releases the code for the 2nd generation, their sells are gonna rise like hell! They dont understand so... theres no helpin it. Try using a partition explorer so :p good luck xD

MarioCG

Aug 23, 2011
Hello MarioCG,
Do you have rom for 8024?
I need it.

I'm sorry. I own a 1024. :(

So, I tried to update the firmware on my 1024 and bricked it. Twice. I didn't unbrick it. I just put a different update on the external SD card and it used that one instead of the update on the internal SD card. I'm pretty pissed about it to be honest because I've only had it for one day. I'm also kinda irritated with Coby for not having 3.0 on it to begin with since the chipset can definitely handle it (hell, the Nook Color can run 3.1). Anyways, if anybody happens to have the original firmware that I can install you'd be saving my sanity. Thanks!

I'm gona try to access it through a linux system, since it can read ext4 partitions. A simple dd comand can make an image of it, I suppose. The problem is that I've been busy these days and couln't install linux (Ubuntu is just fine) to try.

Since you've already paid for Root Explorer, then you probably won't mind what I'm suggesting.

There is an app called Share App by andy_apk buried in the Market. Download it and go to the Share List and search for Root Explorer, download and install. This doesn't require root access. If you can't find Share App, then let me know and I'll upload the APK for you.

Look, I promise you I'll try to help, but let me enjoy my coby for a while. Android is very new to me and I don't wanna brick it in the first day (I actually just received it a few hours ago).
;)

jl_atecubanos

Aug 29, 2011

Amigo eu tambem consegui bloquiar o com 1 semana de uso, mandei um e-mail para a coby, disseram que iriam disponibilizar a rom original em 5 dias

yikzu

Apr 12, 2011
Doing this will only back up personal files? Or does it allow you to create an image of the system files? In other words, will I be able to restore my system?

axelroo

Aug 29, 2011
Hi Kids. Thanks to MarioGC's instruction at the top of Page 4 in this thread, I've been able to extract both an image of the internal sd card with android 2.2 for the MID8024-4G as well as the factory recovery image. There are just two things I need. My /system/bin/wpa_supplication is tainted since I replaced it with a version which allows it see adhoc networks. It wouldn't be such a bad thing but there are a few bugs which causes it to enable and disable wifi repeatedly when it can't find a preexisting network. So if someone could give me a copy of the original wpa_supplicant, I can release a true factory version of the image. Lastly I just need a recommendation of where i can post the files safely. Once I have those, I'll be happy to write up on how to use these images. If anything, if you goofed up while playing around with Clockwork for a compatible recovery image, drop me a line and we'll if I can send it direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

rancho

Sep 1, 2011
@axelroo
Hi axelroo,
I have a bricked 7024-4G and I think that it uses the same ROM that the 8024.
I opened it and I made a "DD" backup, but my ROM is bricked. So it was just to save it.
Do you have a good DD image to give me?

Thank's in advanced.