[REQ][RECOVERY] Recovery Image for MID 7,8,1024

spillb

Jul 25, 2011
htcx THANKS!!!! That was it.....got my 8024 back.....had white screen...flashed firmware found on colby site and Im back in business!!!

Thanks Again!!!

aggie1138

Sep 10, 2011
Well now Mine is bricked (MID1024)...hopefully at some point and time someone WAY smarter than me will figure this out. I'm smart enough to get in trouble but too dumb to get out :p

spillb

Jul 25, 2011
Aggie....you didnt use the firmware for the 8024 did you? Because that wouldn't have worked.

There's a misconception on this forum that all these Coby tablets, 7024, 8024, and 1024 are the same or can se the same firmware, and its not true, or its partially true. What worked for some doesnt always work for others. Probably because theres different hardware version of themotherboad. When i opened mine up the motherboard was stamped 8025. Dont know what others are stamped with.

But bottom line is they are not the same and someone needs to make that clear.

I had to wait for two monrhs for this firmware release. Did everything, tried other firmware, open ir up and removed, erased sd card. Nothing worked until this.

I should add they do know on this forum that there's a hardware incompatibility because when I started a thread about me having
a white screen. In the thread I suggested that no one with an 8024 should follow the instructions in the "Unbrick or update Coby 7024" thread because that is what caused my white screen. After posting that, I was replied with that it worked for many others, suggesting that maybe I did something wrong. Then I was asked what firmware version was on the tablet, I was able to see it using Droid explorer, after posting the version, no one got back to me. But I found this post by in the "Unbrick or update Coby 7024" thread on the same day or day after

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mcsielski

I think the 8024 should have some component of different video and the "driver" of the film of 7024 does not work.

The "spillb" posted in another topic a screen shot made by ScreenCast.

Is running short so we need to change something in the "video driver".

you can find that quote here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7024-gingerbread-firmware-23.html#post115490

So be careful the tablets are not 100% compatible. Again...SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE IT CLEAR! Even the title of this thread suggests that they are.

Last edited:

aggie1138

Sep 10, 2011
Aggie....you didnt use the firmware for the 8024 did you? Because that wouldn't have worked.

There's a misconception on this forum that all these Coby tablets, 7024, 8024, and 1024 are the same or can se the same firmware, and its not true, or its partially true. What worked for some doesnt always work for others. Probably because theres different hardware version of themotherboad. When i opened mine up the motherboard was stamped 8025. Dont know what others are stamped with.

But bottom line is they are not the same and someone needs to make that clear.

I had to wait for two monrhs for this firmware release. Did everything, tried other firmware, open ir up and removed, erased sd card. Nothing worked until this.

I should add they do know on this forum that there's a hardware incompatibility because when I started a thread about me having
a white screen. In the thread I suggested that no one with an 8024 should follow the instructions in the "Unbrick or update Coby 7024" thread because that is what caused my white screen. After posting that, I was replied with that it worked for many others, suggesting that maybe I did something wrong. Then I was asked what firmware version was on the tablet, I was able to see it using Droid explorer, after posting the version, no one got back to me. But I found this post by in the "Unbrick or update Coby 7024" thread on the same day or day after

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mcsielski

I think the 8024 should have some component of different video and the "driver" of the film of 7024 does not work.

The "spillb" posted in another topic a screen shot made by ScreenCast.

Is running short so we need to change something in the "video driver".

you can find that quote here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7024-gingerbread-firmware-23.html#post115490

So be careful the tablets are not 100% compatible. Again...SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE IT CLEAR! Even the title of this thread suggests that they are.

I bricked mine a whole different way:D. This seems to be a lot different than how the Android phones operate. I'm sure I could un-do it if there was a way to get to the flash memory that is on board the tablet.

For now mine just tries to boot up but never gets past the COBY screen...it just shuts off.

pimentell

Apr 17, 2011
is only true copy of the internal SDcard not help solve the problem of bricks tablets

Yes. That´s because the 1024 has another NAND: SAMSUNGK9F1G08U0B PCB0. This NAND can works like a boot sector and backup for restoring the system or something (Press Power + Back remember?). I think that NAND can be corrupted by the wrong update. (see photo below).:p

$SDC10697.JPG

spillb

Jul 25, 2011
Well there are a couple of methods to recover the NAND.

One, which may be too advanced, is to see if there is a JTAG connection on the motherboard. Then you have to connect
a JTAG interface and reflash the NAND with a known good NAND that was pulled from JTAGing another working device. From my experience you
may run into to both devices containing the same ID info such as device serial number etc. Maybe I should start a recovery service and
charge to do this. But I don't have time for all that right now.

The other is a method that I've been reading on another forum for another tablet that I own.
What they are doing is using the Linux dd command to read the NAND partitions and reflash the NAND. Again you
would need uncorrupted images of the NAND partitions.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011

One, which may be too advanced, is to see if there is a JTAG connection on the motherboard. Then you have to connect
a JTAG interface and reflash the NAND with a known good NAND that was pulled from JTAGing another working device. From my experience you
may run into to both devices containing the same ID info such as device serial number etc. Maybe I should start a recovery service and

The other is a method that I've been reading on another forum for another tablet that I own.
What they are doing is using the Linux dd command to read the NAND partitions and reflash the NAND. Again you
Can you post a link to that forum you are refering to. I would like to pull the image from both my 8024 and 1024 and place it on the forum so others can have access if they mess up their tablet

pimentell

Apr 17, 2011

I know that, but i cant´t see any JTAG pins on the 1024. Linux dd command isn´t possible because the tablet is "dead". No connections is possible. The only solution is remove the NAND, reflash it with a universal programmer and solder it back. I can do that but i don´t have the original image. Maybe if i buy another to copy it, then we´ll help others with the same problem. This method can unbrick all tablets ARM 11/A8 Based or TCC8902, iMX515, HSG X6 and more...:eek: Below is the universal programmer and the adapter for the TSOP48 NAND...
$s_MLB_v_O_f_163612368_2803.jpg$s_MLB_v_O_f_187617569_2010.jpg

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
flashing the official 8024 firmware to my 7024 there are part of the screen which i cant see..well its suppose to be because 8024 screen is bigger :p the camera is also in reverse.

Last edited:

spillb

Jul 25, 2011
Vernox701,

Not sure about the rules for posting links here.
Site: SlateDroid
Forum: Cortex A9 > Rena
Thread is: Dumping Rena3 Firmware How?

Here a excerpt of the first post in the thread, go to the site to read more some of his questions were answered.

" This is what I did but first you need:

- to Root your rena tablet
- install Terminal Emulator

From reading some topics, I understand that our device have memory blocks that contains files that can be dumped and eventually the files can be re-flashed to the device. The 3 major blocks are:

- mmcblk0p1 which contains boot files for (uboot4.bin)
- mmcblk0p2 which contains the kernel or (uImage4)
- mmcblk0p5 which contains the Android system files (android-fs4.tar.gz)

Now to dump their contents I launched Terminal Emulator and type #su
#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p1 of=/sdcard/uboot4
(mtdblk0p1 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "uboot4")

#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p2 of=/sdcard/uImage4
(mtdblk0p2 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "uImage4")
#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p5 of=/sdcard/android-fs4
(mtdblk0p5 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "android-fs4")

Now this is where I'm stuck, I suspect the resulting files are not yet in their correct format. Re-naming or adding extensions to them and trying to flash them will not work, so it means they are still in another format and need to be "converted" first...
If someone knows how to "convert" the resulting files to the correct (uboot4.bin) (uImage4) (android-fs4.tar.gz) format, pls. tell so
rolleyes.gif
, so that we can enjoy backing up our device's original firmwares and re-flashing them if needed..."

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Vernox701,

Not sure about the rules for posting links here.
Site: SlateDroid
Forum: Cortex A9 > Rena
Thread is: Dumping Rena3 Firmware How?

Here a excerpt of the first post in the thread, go to the site to read more some of his questions were answered.

" This is what I did but first you need:

- to Root your rena tablet
- install Terminal Emulator

From reading some topics, I understand that our device have memory blocks that contains files that can be dumped and eventually the files can be re-flashed to the device. The 3 major blocks are:

- mmcblk0p1 which contains boot files for (uboot4.bin)
- mmcblk0p2 which contains the kernel or (uImage4)
- mmcblk0p5 which contains the Android system files (android-fs4.tar.gz)

Now to dump their contents I launched Terminal Emulator and type #su
#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p1 of=/sdcard/uboot4
(mtdblk0p1 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "uboot4")

#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p2 of=/sdcard/uImage4
(mtdblk0p2 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "uImage4")
#dd if=/dev/block/mtdblk0p5 of=/sdcard/android-fs4
(mtdblk0p5 successfully dumped to sdcard with a file named "android-fs4")

Now this is where I'm stuck, I suspect the resulting files are not yet in their correct format. Re-naming or adding extensions to them and trying to flash them will not work, so it means they are still in another format and need to be "converted" first...
If someone knows how to "convert" the resulting files to the correct (uboot4.bin) (uImage4) (android-fs4.tar.gz) format, pls. tell so
rolleyes.gif
, so that we can enjoy backing up our device's original firmwares and re-flashing them if needed..."
I used adb from my windows computer and pretty much have the same thing. Stuck with image file. I tried using romdump but will not work through terminal or with adb commands. It errors out with "segmentation eror".

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Coby has released and installable firmware (Froyo 2.2) for MID8024, it has a similar structure. Maybe if you download the file and look at their files it will help. ;)