Request: Step by step root for 7022..

whiteybulger

Jun 18, 2011
I know its around here somewhere but there's a lot of information and misinformation all crammed into a few threads.. I wanna root so I can use Droidsheep and the new Android Network Toolkit (when its out of beta).. Any takers? Im lookin at you daprospecta! ;)

JArmandB

Jul 13, 2011
Here's what worked for me.

1. Make a backup of your stock recovery.
a. Download dump-recovery-signed.zip and put it as update.zip on top(root) of SD card (e.g. /sdcard/update.zip)
b. Boot into recovery by turning the tablet on while holding the back button
C. Install update.zip from stock recovery
*Note: Stock recovery will be dumped as dumped_recovery.img and /proc/mtd will be copied as dumped_proc_mtd.txt on top(root) of SD card. keep them in safe place.

2. After you have backed up your stock recovery, install ClockworkMod Recovery 4
a. Download recovery.zip and put it as update.zip on top(root) of SD card (e.g. /sdcard/update.zip)

3. After you have installed ClockworkMod 4 boot into recovery (same as above) and backup your stock ROM using the menu. Make sure you save this to a safe place.

4. Once you have backed up the stock ROM install su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
a. Download su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and put it as update.zip on top(root) of SD card

When you turn your tablet back on, you will have root. Make sure you get busybox from the market, this will enable most root apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) to run.

You can download the dump-recovery-signed.zip and CM4 from Fun's site here: Telechips custom firmwares | androtab.info
Scroll down to get the correct version.

You can download su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip here: http://downloads.androidsu.com/super...fgh-signed.zip

Thanks to Fun and Baluvee and many others for showing the way. If you want CyanogenMod 7 follow all the instructions on Fun's site.

Most of this came from this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...chnical/18701-need-root-solution-mid7022.html

I recommend going though that thread to see how others have worked it out. Good luck!

Oct 11, 2010
The dump recovery update zip and the clockwork recovery updatezip can be applied from the tablets Settings/about Device/SystemUpdate/installsystemupdate

But not the su.

BrianRosentha

Aug 9, 2011
I guess I'm missing something here.

• I downloaded dump-recovery-signed.zip and put it on the root of my sd card renamed to update.zip.
  • I power on holding the back button and enter the system recovery screen.
  • I select "apply update from sdcard" and navigate to Update.zip. The system finds it, opens it, verifies it and installs it, ending with "Install from sdcard complete".
Now what? If reboot and hold the back key, I just get the recovery menu; if I reboot and don't hold the back key, the system just starts up as normal.

What am I missing?

-Brian

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
That's it... This is part #1 of the tutorial: you have just backed up your ROM, so you can install CWM and revert if you want or need to.

Sep 17, 2011
ok, my question is this because there is not enough detailed info/instructions regarding the dump-recovery-signed.zip part.

So what you are saying is rename it update.zip then either use the settings/update option or reboot into standard stock recovery mode and flash that file..... ok but then what? what happens by flashing dump-recovery-signed.zip(renamed of course)? ie:does this simply dump an image of the stock recovery application and more importantly, where does it dump it to so it can be retrieved and saved in a safe location? <==== most important part because there is nothing even posted beyond this below part...

"C. Install update.zip from stock recovery
*Note: Stock recovery will be dumped as dumped_recovery.img and /proc/mtd will be copied as dumped_proc_mtd.txt on top(root) of SD card. keep them in safe place."

I plan on rooting and having CWM installed while waiting for a stable fully functioning CM7 port is maturing before flashing but I want to make sure my stock recovery and ROM are backed up and ready to flash as needed. The ambiguous nature of some instructions however I am sure are confusing some of us =) I suspect from some of the posts I have read here this may be due to some language translations in text.

Last edited:

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone have the image for the stock recovery?I followed bad advice and did not back it up.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks, I found the file, but when i tried to install it it failed. It said something like finding installation package blah blah blah,installation aborted. What do I do?

Sep 17, 2011
Thanks, I found the file, but when i tried to install it it failed. It said something like finding installation package blah blah blah,installation aborted. What do I do?

Where exactly is it failing at?

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I go into clockworkmod select install zip from SD card select stockrecovery. Zip and it says finding update package
Opening update package
Installing update
Installation aborted
That's all, thanks for all your help:)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum

Sep 17, 2011
You should exract the files to your pc desktop put your tablet in fastboot mode and push the image using fastboot from the desktop.

Command usually is x:\<whatever folder fastboot is in>fastboot flash recovery <recovery img file> "or something like this" you should use the search tool for more info in the forums. I have yet to see any one post the exact steps on what to do with the dumped recovery img yet but my guess is above. I figured this by referring to ==> http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot

I am not sure you can use cwm to flash that as is.

Last edited:

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Alright thanks a lot. I wanted to know how in case I ever needed to send it back for warranty so now I'm all set. Yay!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum

Sep 17, 2011
Well one thing I have noticed in these forums is that there are a lot of vague response posts for help, and I do not mean as in wrong, I mean as in only half the answers back to questions. I have read nearly all the threads here on the 7022 and there are quite a few replies to questions such as I need the stock recovery and the answer you get back is either how to make the recovery, or here's the file, however they for some reason leave out the directions for actually restoring these files or what utils to use. Since a lot of the posts are by people who like me just got this model and may be unfamiliar with it, its frustrating to only get half answers. It would be nice to get more of a mini how to sometimes with the responses for some of the new people. =)