Request: Step by step root for 7022..

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
please let me know if this is a dumb question, as i am still VERY NEW to all things Android related...

must you 'root' the 7022 in order to install/get CM working?

for CM you would need to install the custom recovery but not root since you wont be using the stock rom. You would flash CM7 in recovery and it would already be rooted since superuser should come with that rom

tink1cker

Nov 6, 2011
Well one thing I have noticed in these forums is that there are a lot of vague response posts for help, and I do not mean as in wrong, I mean as in only half the answers back to questions. I have read nearly all the threads here on the 7022 and there are quite a few replies to questions such as I need the stock recovery and the answer you get back is either how to make the recovery, or here's the file, however they for some reason leave out the directions for actually restoring these files or what utils to use. Since a lot of the posts are by people who like me just got this model and may be unfamiliar with it, its frustrating to only get half answers. It would be nice to get more of a mini how to sometimes with the responses for some of the new people. =)

Heh heh...I know this post was written back in September, but I just came across it. I wondered how long it'd be before I found such :). I agree wholeheartedly. I've been building PC's since 1995 and tinkering with the pre-PC computers since 1982 (Remember the Commodore 64, the Timex/Sinclair 1000, the Texas Instruments TI-99, the Amiga? Yeah, I'm olllllllld lol! And I also have lots of now-useless, irrelevant skills HAHAHAHAHA!!!!), so I've learned you have to troll around a LOT before you find all your info you need. I'm used to that, and I have the patience, but a lot of people don't.

Originally posted by nba1341: We probably need more sticky threads for these situations with step by steps. As for using adb and android sdk xda has very good detailed threads on how to use it with video tutorials. Can't find video tutorial but here is this.

EXCELLENT idea nba1341! I haven't been on here very long, so I don't know how far you've progressed, but the stickies I have seen are WONDERFUL time-savers. This seems to be a great group of very knowledgeable people working toward the same goal, so I think it'll all come about very well. Personally, I'm enjoying myself. Like someone somewhere else said, if you don't like tinkering, you can always buy an Apple product.

revlin

Jun 5, 2012
Command usually is x:\<whatever folder fastboot is in>fastboot flash recovery <recovery img file>...
I figured this by referring to ==> Fastboot - CyanogenMod Wiki

Just to let everyone know, this command will restore the original recovery mode to the Coby Kyros, meaning ClockworkMod will be ERASED from your device. This procedure DOES NOT restore the original factory ROM, you'll still have CM7 or whatever you had running before you ran 'fastboot flash recovery...' You will have to perform this same command using the "recovery.img" found in "recovery.zip" (referenced in these instructions) to get CWM back as your recovery/backup/ROM manager.

If you want the stock OS/ROM restored to your device, you need to have backed it up immediately after having installed ClockworkMOD, BEFORE you installed CyanogenMod. I learned this the hard way, not having used CWM to back up original ROM so I can't get back to factory setting. Oh well...

Last edited: