Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@Joe88 and @davidmatt34
Please do not download SuperUser or BusyBox. You going to mess everything thing up. (patience needed)
@Steev is working on a Fix. Just be patient.

Ive managed to Root and install Google Play on my MID9742. ( Apps / Books / Movies / Music) Google Play is only partially working (60% - 70%) .

I also have Root Explorer working. I was able to manually install the Vending.apk (Google Play) and Change the permissions.

Adding SuperUser or BusyBox manually may make your tablet Unable to Install the FIX Steev is working on. (block permanant root)

Following Steev's FIX, everyone should be Runing Play Store and other GoogleApps by the end of this weekend.

Time to stop hacking and take a chill pill. Cinco de Mayo

Last edited:

cyrius

Apr 25, 2012
@RedDeer
Thanks for sharing your files. After trying rooting my MID9742, it stucks on android splash screen and the only thing I can do is entering in the recovery mode (wipe data/factory reset doesn't fix the issue). So I have to reinstall the stock system. But How ? Do I need your dump image zip file or just the system.tgz ? Copy the system.tgz on the external SD, and go to "apply update from ext. storage" menu ?
Again, thanks a lot

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@cyrius
Hold on just a little longer. @Steev is working on a restore file that can restore your bricked MID9742 ,MID7042, ec.
(for others reading, cyrius tried to root his MID9742 with z4root. Now it just hangs on Start. Never reaches desktop. Bricked.

Steev set up this thread to find a remedy for Bricked Coby Gen 3 tablets (MID9742, MID7042, _ _ 42, etc) like yours.

..... Quote from Steev = " ... With these [dump files] I should be able to create firmware restore images to be used for unbricking."

Steev will likely have something for testing later today or tomorrow.

My guess is that Steev is also working on a rom with Google Play Store, Google Apps, with other enhancements already baked in.

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Don't worry, cyrius.
We should be able to get you unbricked.

I'll try to get the 9742 firmware put together today.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
My guess is that Steev is also working on a rom with Google Play Store, Google Apps, with other enhancements already baked in.

I want to make sure that the restore firmwares are working first, so that people have a way to go back to stock in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@swalker5906
FINALLY!!! You've been waiting a while for that thing to arrive.
Welcome Aboard!

NOTICE TO ALLL:
I see that Amazon has TEMPORARILY dropped the price of the MID9742 to $209.
So contact your retailer to get a price adjustment.
Hurry. The price will likely jump back up to $259 once word gets out that the MID9742 has been rooted.

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
@RedDeer
Definitely going to go back up. I ended up buying through an ebay reseller...which is why it took entirely longer than I liked. But $209 for this absolutely gorgeous machine is awesome. I work for a university doing support for faculty and staff so I've laid hands on lots of Ipads/galaxy tabs and the likes. I honestly like this one better than anything else I've handled. Resolution is spectacular. You can feel the GB of ram. Nice machine over all. With @steev being as awesome as he is...its going to go right back up quick.

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
Here is the 9742 firmware:
Link removed
md5: 71a31c954e164a0bb7f19bbd1a143d7a

Flashing instructions are in the first post

Is this the rooted version or the original? I'm downing it now. Will let you know how the test goes.

Also...just wanted to take this opportunity to publicly say thanks! You're whillingness to crack away at a machine you don't even own is absolutly awesome! If the world were filled with more people like you (that not only have the knowledge to do this kinda work, but the drive to do it just because it should be done), it would be a far happier place! So really, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.