Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Also...just wanted to take this opportunity to publicly say thanks! You're whillingness to crack away at a machine you don't even own is absolutly awesome! If the world were filled with more people like you (that not only have the knowledge to do this kinda work, but the drive to do it just because it should be done), it would be a far happier place! So really, thank you!

Thanks for the kind words.
My Novo 7 Elf tablet is similar enough to the Coby Gen 3, so I figured I'd at least give it a try.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@steev - Thank you very much.

Can you recommend a good Gogle Play Store, Gapps package installer?

Last edited:

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
when I flash the new image I know I will probably lose all firmware settings but will I lose installed programs?

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@Joe88 --- when I flash the new image I know I will probably lose all firmware settings but will I lose installed programs?

My guess is that you will basically have my MID9742 which was fresh out of the box on Friday. (I did the dumps soon as I opened the box)

UPDATE 5-6-2012: Please, do not install ivanz Google Play install script below - will Brick your tablet

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
when I flash the new image I know I will probably lose all firmware settings but will I lose installed programs?

During the flashing process, it asks you if you want to enter "Format" or "Normal" upgrade mode.
If you select normal it will keep your installed apps I *think* (I could be wrong, since have always used Format upgrade mode)

davidmatt34

Nov 4, 2011
7042, Application came back with "Update successful". But touch screen is unresponsive. The upgrade looks god but the touch screen does not work on the demo. Pressing the power button will put the device to sleep bu then you cannot unlock.

Last edited:

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
Yeah the LiveSuite app doesn't seem to like Windows 7. I've got a test machine I'm tossing XP onto now. Luckily I have a clonezilla image of an XP build I did awhile ago for that machine so it should only take about 10 minutes to setup. Then it's just a matter of getting livesuite setup and trying from there. I'll post again once I see if that works.

Also: For some reason my 9742 wouldn't detect on my box while just holding volume down and hitting the power key. I ended up having to hold volume up and the back key while tapping power for it to detect. I'm referring to step three of the original instructions for livesuite. Note: That is possibly because a) It's a windows 7 64-bit box I was trying it on or b) I started celebrating cinco de mayo about two hours ago ;)

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
7042, Application came back with "Update successful". But touch screen is unresponsive. The upgrade looks god but the touch screen does not work on the demo. Pressing the power button will put the device to sleep bu then you cannot unlock.

Damn, trying to think what would cause this.

Did you do Format upgrade mode or Normal?

Can you try reflashing, it worked for this guy:
Onda Vi10w - wrong touchscreen calibration after flash

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
Windows XP 32-bit. Ran perfectly. No touchscreen issues as David mentioned. I'm running it now. All seems well. Running the script you mentioned for Play. Will post back when I see if it works.

Note: It is actually running updates now...which is an improvement for sure. Still waiting on Google play...will post again after.

@David. Try doing a factory wipe from the recovery console then doing a format version of the upgrade from a windows XP 32-bit system. Worked for me at any rate.

Last edited:

davidmatt34

Nov 4, 2011
I will give that a shot for the 7042. I am running W7 32bit and it seemed to go ok but its worth a shot...

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
No luck with the reload..

I see two touchscreen drivers in the 7042 firmware:
goodix_touch (this one is used by default in Joe88's dump)
ft5x_ts

So I'm wondering if maybe Coby is using 2 different touchscreens in the 7042 models.
I will create a test build for you to try using the other touchscreen driver

Status
Not open for further replies.