Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Good news, David, your wife's firmware dump is different than Joe88's!
It appears my suspicion was correct, Coby did use 2 different touchscreens.

With this firmware dump I should be able to get your touchscreen working.

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Windows XP 32-bit. Ran perfectly. No touchscreen issues as David mentioned. I'm running it now. All seems well. Running the script you mentioned for Play. Will post back when I see if it works. Note: It is actually running updates now...which is an improvement for sure. Still waiting on Google play...will post again after.

@swalker5906 is MIA since about 5:00 Eastern Today.
I don't want to do anything to my MID9742 until swalker5906 reports back in.
(I guess that he ran into problems trying to run ivanz Google play script.)

I tried ivanz Google play (install) script and it did not work for me. Fail, fail, fail, etc (then again, I haven't installed Steev's Fix)
( yes I am kinda rooted. Can run Root Explorer, delete/rename/ change permissions on files in the system/app folder )

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
What driver is it looking for on the 7042 when you enter upgrade mode? Whatever it is it fails to find it. If I connect usb when booted it loads everything fine, but upgrade mode is not. So Live Suit sees nothing.

If you click the "UserGuide" button in LiveSuite there are instructions for installing the USB drivers.
But if I remember right mine were installed automatically (On Windows 7)

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
If you click the "UserGuide" button in LiveSuite there are instructions for installing the USB drivers.
But if I remember right mine were installed automatically (On Windows 7)

Hmmm, well I did look at the users guide. It appears to be outdated but it also makes it sound like those drivers would take place after hitting update.

Windows itself is seeing a usb device that it can't find a driver for so it's not putting it active in device manager. Live Suit can't see any device to load a driver for because Windows isn't make the device active due to a lack of driver.

That is essentially what I'm trying to figure out. When I hold the volume button, insert the usb cable, and hit the power key until Windows dings for the usb device going active, it then tries to find a driver, doesn't and dongs, banging it out in device manager.

---

On the flip side with the tablet running all three drivers load for the tablet.

So I have no idea what driver Windows is looking for when you place the device is upgrade/download mode.

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
@reddeer yeah sorry... had some prior engagements this evening. going to bed now. you are correct, the play script presented some issues. will look into it further tomorrow. keep ya'll posted.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Well I defintitely have no idea what I'm missing. Stuck with an unknown device entry once I enter upgrade mode, so LiveSuit doesn't see a device and says Jump to update mode failed.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Those of you who installed Steev's rooted Image to your MID9742 or MID7042 Tablet

Can you take a minute and do a step by step of the installation process.

Some people viewing this site are unfamiliar with the tablet.

So a step by step of what you did after you downloaded Steev's image file. That would be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011

Those of you who installed Steev's rooted Image to your MID9742 or MID7042 Tablet

Can you take a minute and do a step by step of the installation process.

Some people viewing this site are unfamiliar with the tablet. So a step by step of what you did after you downloaded the image file would be very helpful.

Thanks

OK now rooted and have gapps running... Added gmail from play store...

If this is actually working I'll report.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
doing a "upgrade" from livesuite results in an encryption failure message after flashing the new rooted rom
it will just do a factory reset anyway and erase all your data
so just do the format

anyway using the rooted firmware from my dump, I can confirm its working fine and rooted after the factory reset
super user is installed and I can change that option in root explorer now to r/w

Last edited:

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
So essentially I did exactly what was at the start of the thread. Although I could not solve my issue until I downloaded a different LiveSuit package. I grabbed the Novo 7 1.7.2 update package and used LiveSuit 1.07 from there.

I installed PDANet
Then used the newly downloaded LiveSuit package.
This time when I went into upgrade mode it in fact loaded all the drivers just look it should.

Update to the rooted version of the 7042 package -- reboot

From there yes you do get the encryption failure, do the reset it prompts and after that completes you are rooted.

I grabbed the latest ICS gapps package Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Then extracted it to a folder.

I loaded Android Commander (as Im not an adb wizard)

I used AC to push the entire set of apps from the gapps package \gapps folder\system\app into \system\app on the tablet (you may want to either remove the stock gallery first or strip the gallery apk from gapps when you push it or you end up with two as one is gallery and one is gallery2)

Then use adb or AC to push the voicesearch library lib.voicesearch.so from \gapps folder\system\lib to \system\lib on the tablet

reboot and open playstore..

set account info and you're off and running.

had to load gmail from the playstore... that version of gapps does not include it but it loads fine from the store.

But it works and synchs.

Voice search works

Titanium BU is working...

etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.