Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
the google play script posted in the other thread bricks it (lucky I can restore now :p )

how do you get android commander to see the device?

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@Patriotswrath
Thanks for taking time to write a detailed explanation of the steps you took to get Google Play Store installed. (seemed to help @Joe88)
I notice that some post detailed steps when they get in trouble.
But they don't do step by step details when they a successful. "Got Mine Working!" bye

There are a number of people viewing this thread who have no experience with tablets or Android. Some people barely speak english, but can get by.
So detailed step by step instructions would be very helpful to them.

For example, how did you install Steev's image file to root your Mid7042 or MID9742?

Thankfully, Steev has taken hours and days to help most of up, please take a few minutes to be helpful to others.

Last edited:

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
@Patriotswrath

Its a beautiful thing! I had some issues with the script last night. Went ahead and decided I would test those precedures above...had never used AC before. Works like a charm sir! Works like a charm!

Running my Mid9742 fully rooted and running Google Play thanks to Steev's images and Patriotswrath's instructions. Zero issues to report. At this very moment...we are there. :-D Great work boys.

swalker5906

May 4, 2012
I write instruction sets for the University I work at all the time. If you'd like I can scratch up these instructions to full detail from start to finish. Unfortunately, it'll probably be tomorrow before I can get around to it...

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
I write instruction sets for the University I work at all the time. If you'd like I can scratch up these instructions to full detail from start to finish. Unfortunately, it'll probably be tomorrow before I can get around to it...
@swalker5906 - Thanks
We dont need that much detail. Just a brief Step by Step

As an example, on page 10 Davidmatt needed a little help,
So I took a few minutes to briefly detail the steps I took to dump my MID9742. (see post 88 on page 9)
I also included links to make it easy for people to find the files needed to complete the task (that way they dont have to search around)

Another example, @Patriotswrath's Google Play Store install instruction details are very helpful. ( see post#105 on page 11)

Thanks

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012

@swalker5906 -
I've held off doing anything to my MID9742 until we heard back from you. Please briefly recount your nightmare.

Thanks

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@Steev (anyone) - Can your rooted image file be installed using the tablet's internal system recovery ?

It would be nice if there was an alternative option to apply the root for someone who doesnt have access to a PC, but can get to the tablets System recovery utility.

Thanks

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you Steev for you perseverance to help us cheap arse Coby users and ReeDeer for orchestrating this symphony of misfits (me especially). My question, has anyone rooted their 7042 using W7 64bit? I am still a woosey and am holding out doing the root. Keep up the great work guys, we really appreciate all your efforts, even if we are afraid to try them :eek:

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Thank you Steev for you perseverance to help us cheap arse Coby users and ReeDeer for orchestrating this symphony of misfits (me especially). My question, has anyone rooted their 7042 using W7 64bit? I am still a woosey and am holding out doing the root. Keep up the great work guys, we really appreciate all your efforts, even if we are afraid to try them :eek:

Yes I did this from 64bit 7. Now I did set LiveSuit.exe to run in in Windows 7 compatibility mode and run as admin.. Don't know that this was required to work, but it is how I ran it from the start.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Download and install PDAnet

INSTALL PDANET
Just follow the instructions provided by the PDAnet software
At the end you should have a functioning adb connection to your tablet

Download and install LiveSuite
Download LiveSuite v1.07

Once this package is downloaded make a new folder on your desktop
Place the package .exe in the folder and doubleclick
You should now have the package extracted to the folder

Download the correct firmware from OP/start of thread.
For my 7042 both versions of the firmware worked. For some reason the two screen version did seem to cause a strange loss of resolution on mine like the time looked oddly pixelated... might have been a bad flash.. I loaded the original version and it worked fine and I did not notice the resolution funkiness...

Place the downloaded firmware into the folder you extracted LS 1.07 to

Flashing instructions:

Go to the folder you extracted the LS package in...

Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img file you placed in the folder

Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, continue to get it depressed)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button six times a popup dialog appears on your computer screen

At this point because LS was open it should take over and launch its own processes and begin to install the firmware. When it says success your tablet should be bootable and will be rooted.

If you receive a Google encryption error on first boot...
Note: on the first version of the firmware I did not receive an encryption error. When I installed the two screen version I did. Either way allow the reset on the encryption error and it will boot fine.

GAPPS on the tablet:

I grabbed the latest ICS gapps package Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Then extracted it to a folder on the desktop

I loaded Android Commander (as Im not an adb wizard)

Now someone that wants to could easily create a package including gapps with a batch file/adb script to install gapps to the tablet.
In fact you could grab some of the packages for A10 tablets that already exist and modify the batch file to only install gapps and not have to do this part…

I used AC to push the entire set of apps from the gapps package \gapps folder\system\app into \system\app on the tablet (you may want to either remove the stock gallery first or strip the gallery apk from gapps when you push it or you end up with two as one is gallery and one is gallery2)

Then use adb or AC to push the contents of \gapps folder\system\lib to \system\lib on the tablet
I did the same thing with \gapps folder\system\framework and \gapps folder\system\etc\permissions again sending them to the respective location in \system\target

AC takes a bit to get the hang of but essentially if you installed a functioning adb connection at the start of these instructions it should find you tablet when connected to USB and load.
The left pane will show a local window, the right pane on a rooted device should show your tablet \system folder. Set this for the location you are going to push to. For \system\app portion of gapps click the app folder in the right pane so that the pane is set on \system\app of the tablet.
Above that pane is a PUSH button. Click that, and then select the files to push. For \system\app for instance navigate to the folder you extracted gapps to on you desktop. Then open \system\app and ctrl-a to select all. OK
It should then ask where you want to push to with a default of right pane.

OK
AC should begin to push all the files Some people will get a fault at the end of the push, if you do it’s OK the files are pushed just click OK on the message.
Now you repeat for the rest of your pushes:
Set right pane to the push to location like \system\framework
Click push, select files, and push…
When all done
Reboot and open playstore..

set account info and you're off and running.

If you used the version of gapps I linked it does not contain gmail. Just install via playstore.

In case you are curious I did try installing the gapps.zip file via recovery and while the package installed and said success it was not there even after rooting. So that's why I pushed it via adb. If someone wants to figure that out it would be great as it would make this whole gapps section MUCH shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Now the next step for people that get this done is keep an eye out for any apps from gapps that don't work... Post it so we can figure it out.

Also keep an eye out for stuff that is msising from playstore. I suspect someone needs to figure out doing a build hack for this that makes it show like an SGS 2 or whatever so that everything will show in the market. But I'm not positive this will be a problem.

sbs

May 6, 2012
Just wanted to report that both the rooting method and the firmware flash worked on my 7042.

I used the Joe88 dump as it was the only one up when I did this yesterday.

Working on getting play installed.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this!

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
i noticed stuff like amazon store (both the app store and the actual store is missing)
paypal is missing
vlc
mlb at bat 12

and a few others that I looked for

Status
Not open for further replies.