Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
yeah we need to modify the build prop to have this show as a device that has compatible apps... I have not tried any of the market enablers if someone wants to try those.

amazon appstore of course can be obtained via amazon and that does work.

steev what method did they use on the novo 7's?

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@Steev (anyone) - Can your rooted image file be installed using the tablet's internal system recovery ?

It would be nice if there was an alternative option to apply the root for someone who doesnt have access to a PC, but can get to the tablets System recovery utility.

Thanks

I'm not sure. Can you flash custom zips with the standard android recovery or do they have to be signed by Google?

I will look into it

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
yeah we need to modify the build prop to have this show as a device that has compatible apps... I have not tried any of the market enablers if someone wants to try those.

amazon appstore of course can be obtained via amazon and that does work.

steev what method did they use on the novo 7's?

A lot of apps don't show because there are missing xml files in /etc/permissions

Fix here:
[FIXED] Google Play issues (missing apps) - SlateDroid.com

Some people also use the Galaxy SII or Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus fingerprint (has the same GPU)

Now that these firmwares are confirmed working I will make a custom ROM with Gapps and Google Play fix.

Also, has anybody tried overclocking the CPU with SetCPU or CpuMaster?
The Allwinner kernel is overclockable and other Allwinner A10 devices can run stable at 1152MHz

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Thank you Steev for you perseverance to help us cheap arse Coby users and ReeDeer for orchestrating this symphony of misfits (me especially). My question, has anyone rooted their 7042 using W7 64bit? I am still a woosey and am holding out doing the root. Keep up the great work guys, we really appreciate all your efforts, even if we are afraid to try them :eek:
Problems With W7 64Bit and LiveSuite

I was having serious problems with my W7 64bit PC using the LiveSuite on my MID9742 to install the Root.

After starting LiveSuite, and selecting the coby_9742_4.0.3.img file -- I held VolumeDown and Pressed Power several times (NOTHING, nothing. nothing)
Then I downloaded the Live Suite v 1.07 Package as recommended by @Patriotswrath.
The difference between the new LiveSuite and the original LiveSuite was the new LiveSuite installed a Driver after it unloaded all the files.
Unfortunately, I Still had a problem.

(It's The Cable Stupid, It's the Cable)
Then I remembered having similar problems in the past with previous tablets being recognized by my PC.
See, since the USB cable is so short, I have an extension USB cable.
When I noticed I was having problems, I eliminated the extension USB cable. Connected with short supplied USB cable. (it was ackward with the short cable)
But it worked! ... LiveSuite recognized the MID9742 right away and the flashing process completed quickly. My tablet restarted. Rooted. (yeah!)

You can also try plugging the USB into another slot on your PC. OR restarting your PC. OR Try another USB cable.
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbs

May 6, 2012
So for any other noobs like me I thought I'd post what I did to get play working.

First, the stock /system partition is pretty full so I removed the following apks:
aldiko
es_file_explorer
ES_TaskManager
Gallery2
GetJar

Then I copied over the following apks from the 20120429 zip file:
GoogleServicesFramework
GoogleLoginService
Phonesky
Talk

Then get the xml files from
[FIXED] Google Play issues (missing apps) - SlateDroid.com

and copy to /etc/permissions
and chmod to 644

The reason I installed talk was because while playing around with this before I had read that in some cases logging in the first time through play doesn't work so it's better to use talk or another google app.

I'm installing other apks from the gapps, but the above is all that's needed for Play to work.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
nimsu said:
... anyone figure out a fix for the sdcard issue?
Thanks guys. Using patriot's steps got google play. sd card is still an issue
If you ever get around to asking a specific / detailed question, perhaps someone will assist you.
Why ask a question that requires someone to ask what you are talking about. Just say it (ask it) in the first place.
Thanks

nimsu

May 5, 2012
Oh.. I thought it was a known issue.

The SD card does not get recognized when trying to view it with builtin apps like aldiko or es file explorer. It seems to label the internal memory as "SD Card"

RedDeer

May 3, 2012

The SD card does not get recognized when trying to view it with builtin apps like aldiko or es file explorer. It seems to label the internal memory as "SD Card"

SORRY, I just tried. My micrSD card is not recognized

REmoved >>>> See @Patriotswrath's Answer below

Last edited:

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011

ES File Explorer

Long press favorites

go to \mnt

then \mnt\extsd is your external sdcard

\mnt\sdcard is the internal sd

Some ICS flavors will show emmc instead on extsd but it's there

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Thanks @Patriotswrath I didnt know that the microSD card had moved in ICS.
You Are correct. Found contents of micrSD card in /mnt/extsd
Thanks

--- see @nimsu- Like I said "If you ..ask a specific / detailed question, perhaps someone will assist you."

Last edited:

nimsu

May 5, 2012
Thanks Pats and Red Deer... Seems odd that they renamed the sd card.

1)Have you found a way to get Akidbo to see it? (Not a giant issue)
2)Getting flash to work
3)A Barcode Scanner that works.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks Pats and Red Deer... Seems odd that they renamed the sd card.

1)Have you found a way to get Akidbo to see it? (Not a giant issue)
2)Getting flash to work
3)A Barcode Scanner that works.
1) akido sees it fine, go into files then press the up button
2) com.adobe.flashplayer_111115007.apk works

Status
Not open for further replies.