Restore Lost Navigation Bar MID8048

carlosa11

Feb 16, 2014
I have a Coby tablet that was running single application mode when I got it but was crashing when loading. So I factory reset it which seems to be working fine with the exception of not having the Navigation bar on any screen or application so it is frustrating at the moment to run any app without having a way to return back to home screen, only option at that point is to reboot every time. Please help me restore the nav bar or guide me through a system upgrade since that doesn't seem to work or change anything when I select it from systems settings.
Coby
MID8048
Android Version 4.0.3
Kernel Version 3.0.8
Build number IML74k 20130117.135725

Thanks in advance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have a Coby tablet that was running single application mode when I got it but was crashing when loading. So I factory reset it which seems to be working fine with the exception of not having the Navigation bar on any screen or application so it is frustrating at the moment to run any app without having a way to return back to home screen, only option at that point is to reboot every time. Please help me restore the nav bar or guide me through a system upgrade since that doesn't seem to work or change anything when I select it from systems settings.
Coby
MID8048
Android Version 4.0.3
Kernel Version 3.0.8
Build number IML74k 20130117.135725

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you don't have a complete OS, something in your frame work is missing, most likely due to design, your tablet wasn't designed to be a full functioning tablet, just designed to run one application. if that is the case you clearly want to backup your system before you modify it, if you don't, you won't be able to return where you are at right now, which may be better than if the modifications fail.

Once you have backed up your system, you can download any 8048 dumps and try them, you might only want to switch out the frame work first try that, then switch more if necessary until you get the desired result.

carlosa11

Feb 16, 2014
Sounds like you don't have a complete OS, something in your frame work is missing, most likely due to design, your tablet wasn't designed to be a full functioning tablet, just designed to run one application. if that is the case you clearly want to backup your system before you modify it, if you don't, you won't be able to return where you are at right now, which may be better than if the modifications fail.

Once you have backed up your system, you can download any 8048 dumps and try them, you might only want to switch out the frame work first try that, then switch more if necessary until you get the desired result.

Thank you Vampirefo, but total Android newbie here. Could you please direct me to where to find the 8048 dumps and any info in "trying" them is greatly appreciated.

thank you!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Click the rooting link in my signature, and then check the other sticky posts in the Development subforum.

neolith

Mar 9, 2014

Another noobie with exactly the same problem as Carlos. I have rooted my Coby 8048 and uploaded an 8048 dump. I used Full!Screen to restore the home and back buttons but I still don't have the navigation bar and am unable to set the USB for MFT so I can access the 8048 from my Linux based PC. I believe the problem is that SureLock was on the machine and it was set for single-use application and when I did a factory reset the SureLock app went away leaving some code in the firmware that blocks the navigation bar. I tried Navigation Toggle but that does not work. My question is can I modify the firmware to restore the navigation bar (I know that is not easy but I am willing to learn using the tutorial on XDADevelopers).

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Another noobie with exactly the same problem as Carlos. I have rooted my Coby 8048 and uploaded an 8048 dump. I used Full!Screen to restore the home and back buttons but I still don't have the navigation bar and am unable to set the USB for MFT so I can access the 8048 from my Linux based PC. I believe the problem is that SureLock was on the machine and it was set for single-use application and when I did a factory reset the SureLock app went away leaving some code in the firmware that blocks the navigation bar. I tried Navigation Toggle but that does not work. My question is can I modify the firmware to restore the navigation bar (I know that is not easy but I am willing to learn using the tutorial on XDADevelopers).

I didn't see the 8048 dump you upload, where is it exactly? Try same advice I gave other poster, replace framework, and system app, if that fixes it, then you are done if not change more files.

What is Full!Screen?

Last edited:

neolith

Mar 9, 2014
Thanks for the quick response. Full!Screen is just a free app from the PlayStore. I used Root_with_Restore_Bin4ry_v33 to root and 8048_recovery_signed.zip which I renamed update.zip and placed on the device by using ADB on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine.
I need a little info on switching the framework and system app.Am I correct that I should download "Xposed Framework.apk" from XDADevelopers and upgrade to that?

Last edited:

LordBaal

Apr 3, 2014
Nope, most people don't, they generally only come here once they have messed up their tablet.

That's selfish! Well, I came here after I messed up my tablet, but if what I understood from you on the other thread is true then I will be able to upload the dump and not only help myself but eveyone else that owns this tablet.