Retina Display or IPS-II Screen??

IPS-II Screen or Retina IPS Display

• Total voters

CanonG

Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I am struggling to get either retina display or IPS-II Screen Tablets? IPS-II Screen is said to be 30% brighter than the IPS-Screen. However, the new Pipo M9 though has IPS-II Screen its PPI is only 142.79 while the ppi of Onda v972 is 310. I am going to use it to watch full HD movies

Just wondering which one will you choose?

Last edited:

tragidy

Jan 29, 2011
For now retina is a high resolution which is great however visually I see no difference, the ips is a nice bright screen wiked view angle as is the retina its entirely up to you as optometrist around the globe have confirmed that Steve Jobs retina is not visually detectable only brightness would be.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You are comparing apples to oranges. IPS is a screen technology and does not directly address resolution. Retina is a description of resolution taken to mean the point past which individual pixels are not identifiable.

Brightness is yet another factor. I would say brightness only comes into play if you are using the tablet outdoors or in a very brightly lit room. From your description of watching full HD movies these does not sound like environments you would do that in. So unless you have concerns about watching movies out doors take the brightness out of the equation. Standard brightness is sufficient for normal indoor use.

Given the stated use pixel density will matter and on a 10" screen a "retina" display of 310ppi is going to be very noticeably better than 143ppi. Personally I think 1280x800 is fine for 7-8" screens but too low for 10" screens. For me with watching HD movies on a 10" screen this is an easy no-brainer of ppi over IPS or brightness factors particularly when one ppi is over 300 and the other is less than 200.

JP

CanonG

Jan 30, 2013
in short, for screen bigger than 10.1", I should go for retina display rather than the new brighter screen with low ppi?