Returned the Xoom today....

pikapp168

Jan 20, 2011
Well I gave it my all. I really liked the device, but with all the issues it was having, I just couldn't see the value of $800. I think it has great potential but it's going to take some time before that device really shines.

I have decided that the iPad 2 will suit my needs. I would suggest to those that are on the fence on as to whether or not to buy, to wait. Wait for the wifi only model. The device is not worth $800. Just my 2 cents.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
$ZAymB.jpgIt's going to go for $539 at Sam club in Mid March! Wi fi model. Jusy Buy it back for $231.00 Less!
pencil.png

Last edited:

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
i still dont get the problems and what they are.i havent had the "force close" thing at all.im setting here now browsing the net,replying to this post,chatting on yahoo messenger,and jamming music via bluetooth to a laptop with a usb x_fi card.it is running everything im doing flawlessly.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom using Android Forum App

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
What exactly are the issues? It looks a lot like a troll post. We have not yet seen the issues that the ipad2 will have. If the only criticism of the Xoom is the price, I would gladly pay more for an Android device than a closed, proprietary, unserviceable, itunes entombed device.

RipplingHurst

Mar 3, 2011
I have an Apple iPad - but that is now mostly used by my daughters, I can't barely touch it when I'm at home - and did really wanted to buy the Xoom, but it was clearly rushed to market, IMHO. How can Motorola+Google launch something with a non-working SD Card? Think about it people. This is totally unprofessional. How hard could it be really? What's the official excuse? Do they say something in the box? "Sorry, SD card reader included is non-functional ATM".

I would expect this kind of behavior from Notion's Adam, but not from the flagship Android tablet. It seems that the Adam was less rushed than the Xoom...

I'm hoping the Samsung tab 10.1 will have an equal or better screen than the 7" tab, if so, I'll probably go for it. However, I'm really tempted to buy the old iPad for $399.00 (Apple is giving $100.00 off across the line) or even $349.00 refurb. I think $399.00 for a non-contract device is very tempting, and then I would give it to my daughters. This is the most economic sense for me.

However, I really want to try something else, Android or if I must, HP's WebOs if the Samsung disappoints.

salzybaby

Oct 5, 2010
so what makes the ipad2 worth 800 dollars in your mind

I guess it's in what you're looking for. First let me say, I'm an android fan... 2 galaxy S phones and 2 tablets. I really like the OS. I like not being tied down to Itunes. You can always jailbreak an apple product though.

Now, let me play devil's advocate. The iPad is polished. People expect products to work, correctly, right out of the box. The difference between Android and iOS is that android hardware can be made by anyone. Near endless configurations. Software written by anyone, near endless code to fit hardware of all shapes and sizes. iOS runs well and is reliable because Apple controls the hardware and the software. Very limited hardware configurations make a developers life a little easier. I was fighting the iPod thing forever, I had all varieties of Mp3 players. When I did get an iPod, I was actually satisfied. we now have a nano, classic, and a touch.

For me, iOS doesn't make me happy. It is too locked down. When I get new toys, my first thought is "what can this thing really do?" So I tinker. For my wife, she doesn't enjoy it. She wants an iPad 2. I'll wait a while and get one on craigslist, or the apple store refurb. The wifi, 16 gb model will go $440 refurbished. I'm waiting for a new tablet and it will be android for me but I want to see what comes out and which ones are true performers.

For someone who wants a no hassle product, the iPad might be a better option right now. For poeple who like a challange and like to milk performance out of devices, android tablets are the way to go.

Just a thought.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There are at least three major producers (MSI, LG, Lenovo) who are getting ready to release comparable and more competitive in MSRP than the XOOM. Motorola recognizes this and is initiating their first drop by the Sam's Club pricing. This will be repeated elsewhere. The MSI is a really good example. Its MSRP (Retail Price) will be $540. This will likely drop to the 400s or less on special sale. It has almost identical specs to the WiFi version of the Xoom.

supersteve1

Mar 9, 2011
I will definately buying the xoom, why get the ipad2, to be tied down with itunes, the xoom is more faster than the ipad, to me it has the best features, i think it is a beast of a machine.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I've made up my mind and I'll wait to purchase a higher-end tablet around July/August. More tablets will be on the market, and will drive down prices.

Feb 4, 2011
I just returned mine only to wait for the wifi only model. Its a great tab but I know that i will never activate the 3g/4g data as i can tether to my Droid X when on the go. I can find better uses for the $200+ i will be saving.

jimandroid

Mar 14, 2011
We bought 3 Xoom - one for me and 2 for my girls - I didn't want iPads and that was a good move. True it's a bit pricey at $599 with the Verizon data plan but to be honest it's worth every penny I thrown in it.

I think you're right... a neat trolly troll post :)

Mar 3, 2011
Wow! Three xooms with data! I am sure with daughters they have phones and unlimited text too. I would hate to see that phone bill, lol.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Since I am new here I dont know specifically which problems the OP had with his Xoom. Perhaps he could share? When I ranted about my Archos 7 home I made a laundry list of all the things I didnt like.

The only universal complaint I've heard so far about the Xoom is the non-functional SD slot. And strangely many people seem to be getting by OK with that. I'm not a Moto fanboy by any means (though I do enjoy my Droid) but it would be nice if a rant thread could have some good, juicy rants going on.

Hows the display? For vids? Games?
Hows the touch screen? Specifically for typing.
How are the speakers? The media player? The live streaming of music and video?
Hows web browsing?
How is running multiple widgets and animations going for you?
How do you like the email and IM?
Can it make calls with a bluetooth headset? If so how are you liking that?

Be specific. You shouldnt have bought an 800 dollar device if you had no real use for it, and you shouldnt return it if you do have a real use but there are particular shortcomings that could possibly be fixed.