[Review] aPad iRobot RK2818

moxiebee

Dec 28, 2010
Feverhost Sorry to hear you had a similiar experience with your tablet. Do you have a SD card in the tablet before you try to connect it to the computer? I read on a site that you have to have an SD card in the tablet in order for the computer to see it. Might try that. Since it was so misrepresented, are you going to keep it?

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
moxiebee: Yep I have an 8GB for it.

I am going to keep it, although there was misrepresentation of the specs.. it works for me. I also do not want to go through the hassle of sending this back, getting a refund, or another tablet. I'm afraid that it will take too many weeks.

If anything.. in 4 months i'll be selling some of my tablets, and purchasing a higher end tablet. Looking at some 8" or 10" multi-touch capacitive tablets 1Ghz, 512MB or 1GB RAM tablets in the $300 - $400 range.

NightLord

Dec 13, 2010
Feverhost,

How do you know that 2.2 is faked on the device?

The 2.6.25. version of the linux kernel on the device does seem to be a bit odd though.

Last edited:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
NightLord: xaueious had me install/run ASI... which shows that this tablet runs API level 7, which is Android 2.1 - Android API Levels | Android Developers

Also the processor is 600Mhz, clocking in at 622Mhz - Bogomips 311 = real clockspeed of 622MHz on ARM9: BogoMips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia see ARM9

It's still a nice tablet... I personally like it, which is all that matters. Although it was sold with incorrect specifications. It's 600Mhz, not 800Mhz, it's truly running Android 2.1, not 2.1, and (my camera) is .3MP not 1.3MP.

NightLord

Dec 13, 2010
Well it was kinda strange that the built in apk kanager showed version 2.1 for all of the system apps, but i guess we have an answer for that now :)

Anyways, I wouldnt blame NS for the misrepresentation of the specs, as this tab is advertised with similar specs on other sites too (see one for eg: http://www.wholesaleonepiece.com/ap...a_p2056.html?zenid=ug4gapm9alv0m74pj24o9dgb70 - although cpu speed is at least listed here correctly), I think the producer is to blame here. Note that NS lists it as a 2GB while its 4GB, and I realy dont think its a deliberate lie.

BTW my biggest problem is that context menus are not working in the browser (nor in 3rd party browsers for that matter). Any workarounds for that?

Sent from my SmartQV5II using Tapatalk

Pingban

Jan 24, 2011
You're right, android 2.2 mostly companies with freescale 800Mhz, 512MB RAM and 4GB Nand flash at the tablet market at the moment, and it works well with flash 10.1.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
One of the big selling points for me, at the time, was Android 2.2. I thought it was great that it had Android 2.2, as no other tablets had it for that device. They said it was "upgraded"....

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I use Shootme to take pictures of my screen, but its for rooted users.

Otherwise I would use ddms or DroidExplorer

Rockchip's flavor of Android 2.1 does have a bit of Android 2.2 mixed in, so it isn't completely a lie in that sense...

NightLord

Dec 13, 2010
This is why I'd like to know who produces this tablet, maybe I could contact them for a new firmware. The fw on the tablet is dated 20101202, so maybe they have something newer, if the tablet is still being produced.

Do you happen to have any idea?

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Tapatalk

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Not really sure by who this is manufactured. Nowsupplier knows where they got it.

Did not see an ad for it on shanzhaiben

NightLord

Dec 13, 2010
Look here:

shanzai.com/market-mayhem/bandit-gadgets/tablets/2034-grab-an-irobot-this-christmas-for-usd-135.html

Feverhost, pls let me know if u happen to get any info from NS. BTW do you still have the stock ipad like UI? I lost it due to a factory reset, could you please post it here for me?

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
NS said they haven't been told there has been a firmware release.

NightLord: Do you know the name of the stock UI? I'm sure I have it on here somewhere...

NightLord

Dec 13, 2010
I think it was called 'home' or something like that, and had a nice house like icon in the app manager (it does not show up in the launcher among the other applications).