[Review] Chuwi VX8 Quad Core

hdenie

Jul 22, 2014
CHUWI VX8 GPS NOT WORKING maybe a firmware problem ( revised see below AUG 25,2014)

Initially I was very impressed. It has everything I hoped for .
I mainly purchased the CHUWI VX8 for its dimensions, it’s screen resolution it’s computer power (Quad core) and last but not least its GPS functionality.
The unit comes with GPS apps (GPS test) but this application fails to register any satellites, (even outside without any obstructions) with the location icon active in the menu bar.

I also downloaded from Google playstore the “OsmAnd”application and it also failed to register any satellites,
I am familiar with the GPS functionality on other android products therefore I do not think I have it improperly configured.
I suspect the satellite radio receiver is not working.
I am currently corresponding with Dino Direct, the supplier, to solve this problem.
I am wondering if any body else’s experience the same problem.

It may also be resolved by a firmware upgrade.
PLEASE advise***

Aug 25, 2014

If you look at my previous post,July 22,2014, I reported GPS was not working. I only gave it 3 stars. I reported my problem to Dino Direct and they send me another CHUWI VX8 ( at no charge).
Surprise the GPS is working as it should.
Cudo's to DINO DIRECT they communicated with me and solved the problem.
I am now very happy with all the functions and with the Seller, who did not let me down and solved the defective GPS

Last edited:

mslr

Jun 10, 2011
Hi,

I bought this tablet for use as a GPS for my holliday with free gps tools

ANd it's work perfectly, i find the gps quickly with precision

I just need to activate the GPS on parameters

Regards
Marc

hdenie

Jul 22, 2014
Thank you
I contacted the seller and we do have a communication problem.
I did receive a firmware package , unfortunately the instructions are all ,I believe, in Chinese
Attached is the "read me" file If anybody likes to translate this, please be my Guest

Attachments

• $readme Shuwi VX8.pdf
    663 KB · Views: 503

Rade

Jul 25, 2014
Hi hdenie,

Same problem here. GPS not working. I tested it outside, he can recognize only 1 satellite, and can't lock to it.
I am in communication with my seller (Pandawill) and will see if he can provide some fix.
I sent email, directly to Chuwi, but they did not respond.
Please check this simple tutorial, and see does this help for your reinstallation of firmware.
Download Android 4.4 Kitkat stock firmware for CHUWI VX8 Phablet ~ China Gadgets Reviews
please report back.

best, Rade

hdenie

Jul 22, 2014
Rade
I am so happy to see I am not the only one who has this problem. I did some more testing and indeed only 1 satellite, and it can't lock on.
I am somewhat hesitant to flash a brand new Tablet manually, with instructions some what dubious, and in a language I do not understand.
All other functions work . I will wait how the seller, Dino Direct, reacts. They can put pressure on the manufacturer to produce an upgrade fix sent directly to the tablet . The way most popular(more expensive ) tablets do.
On my side I have some leverage with payment sent via PayPal.
Lets stay in touch.

Hans

Jdens

Jul 29, 2014
Hi Marc,

I have probleme with my GPS
Can you give the version and date of firmware please.
thx

Dens

Hi,
I bought this tablet for use as a GPS for my holliday with free gps tools
ANd it's work perfectly, i find the gps quickly with precision
I just need to activate the GPS on parameters
Regards
Marc

hdenie

Jul 22, 2014
upload_2014-7-30_12-3-5.png

Dens
see my tablet information .
Hdenie (Hans)

Last edited:

Rade

Jul 25, 2014
Hi guys,
sorry to hear that your gps not working properly. Hans, I have exact data model as yours.
One more thing bothering me. How much storage do you have?
My is 5gb + 1gb system storage. Isn't it suppose to have 8gb? Where is 2gb?
o_O

hdenie

Jul 22, 2014
Hi guys,
sorry to hear that your gps not working properly. Hans, I have exact data model as yours.
One more thing bothering me. How much storage do you have?
My is 5gb + 1gb system storage. Isn't it suppose to have 8gb? Where is 2gb?
o_O
The balance are used for the system and backup files