[Review] HP Slate 7

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
When I searched for 7 inch tablets on line I found that the HP tablet was the least expensive "real" tablet, on sale at Best Buy for $132. I went for it and ordered one. After my purchase (maybe the wrong time to do research) when I searched for opinions on line I found reviews strongly condemned the HP product. Reviewers criticized everything including the packaging. Almost all reviewers agreed that the screen was "disappointing." I thought maybe I should change my order to the Nexus 7 which would have cost about $70 more. I stuck with HP tablet.

When my tablet arrived I eagerly set it up. I found it worked very well. I downloaded some free apps and now I have a workable tool. I am still exploring ways that it can be of use to me--beyond what I use my laptop for.

I find that any serious writing can not be done easily on the tablet The Android keyboard keys are so small and sensitive that the error rate of keystrokes must be close to 50% unless I type really slowly. I also make compound errors because of accidental erasures. I often hit the wrong place on the screen and the tablet thinks I'm finished with a line I had just started and the screen suddenly changes. I wanted to sign for Skype on the tablet but keyboard errors made this very frustrating. I'll have to take a breath and try again.

But the tablet is great for reading and researching. Contrary to the critics, the lettering is sharp and clean on newspaper, magazine and news sites. These can be accessed simply using the browser. No special aps are needed. I enjoy viewing art and photo websites. The images are crisp and details can be enlarged with gestures. Videos run smoothly and the images fill the screen with sufficient sharpness. The sound through the speakers is sharp and very intelligible. I haven't tried earphones.

I even tried the 3 megapixel back camera and got some quite adequate photos in daylight.

I am growing with my HP Slate 7 tablet. I will learn to use it more fully. I will say I am more than satisfied with it.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It's nice to hear from someone who's happy with their tablet and not trying to fix a broken one. :cool: