[Review] Motorola Xoom

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I am going to be adding my written review as well as my 18+ minute video review of my new Motorola Xoom that I purchased from Verizon for $599.99. I will be using the $35/mo data package that includes 3GB of bandwidth per month. I have also posted this information on Xoomforums.com, with their permission.

I will be editing this thread to include the text and video... (work in progress!)

Last edited by a moderator:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I don't think they are bad. The angle looks really bad on my web-cam, which due to my monitor being right in front of the tablet. Next time I do a video I am going to turn off the monitor so there is no backlight. I'll record a quick video off my camcorder to show the angles.

Daveglo

Apr 1, 2011
I have the wi-fi version. Can't say enough good things. Screen resolution is awesome, but I do recommend a screen protector to cut down on prints. I like that it didn't come pre-loaded with a lot of garbage apps. Battery life is excellent. Plays video great. The touch management is perfect for me, I get little to no bad touches. I am holding out for a better case than the stock one offered by motorola. I want one lighter and softer. I like the camera, us older folks appreciate the larger display. :)

Most apps run with no problems, just a couple of notes: Skype's client does not support video (yet). And there is NO Netflix client yet, either.

Going to get an HDMI cable and test drive mirror mode this weekend!

I'll append this review as I get more details.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Got a couple of questions for you guys?

My wife took my Best buy cards and bought me a Xoom last weekend for my birthday. ( I told her I was getting a Playbook but she doesn't know the difference and thought she would suprise me!!) I thought well I will test drive it this week on the road.

So far not bad at all except for 1 glitch that I cannot figure out.

When browsing a webpage such as calendar and then hit the back button about 80% of the time it goes back 2,3 or 4 pages. Very, very frustrating. Now my S7 also did the same thing but I thought it was resistive issue. Also when going back, it goes to the top of the page instead of where you left off, if it only goes back 1.

Has anybody figured this out? Am I doing something wrong? Would one of the other browsers such as Dolphin work better?

If not I think I will return it and wait on the playbook. However I really like the size (which I didn't think I would but I don't really transport it around just use in the hotel room/lobby and the airplane and airport.)

Thanks,

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
I've tinkered with the XOOM just a little and IMHO, it's a bit on the heavy side. I wish that weight information were a bit easier to come by since that can make a huge difference in using something one handed or having to lug it around. I think that another important consideration for the 3G/4G tablets is the data package from the various carriers. For example, Verizon's data is $20 per GB.

I've used nearly 15GB of data just on my smart phone this month. At my current rate of use, that's $300/mo and I would expect that with the larger format that my data use would actually be higher on a tablet than my phone.

Last edited:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
It is an expensive device, although if you get the 4G with Verizon they have knocked the price down to $199.99. Just have to get a $35/mo 3GB contract for 2 years.