[Review] Pipo Smart S1

didobuy

Oct 10, 2012
PIPO smart s1 review

$smart s1gpu.gif$smart s13.gif

Bad points

• home screen only landscape
  • itv player and Netflix only portrait
  • apparently we filled up the desktop after downloading the 20 or so apps we test
  • the screen resolution is poor making the tablet look and feel a bit cheap
  • the resolution also stretches the contents, either making it wider (landscape) or taller (portrait)

On the plus side the tablet beats the Cube U9GT4 (similarly spec’d and designed); the screen is at least rotated in the most user friendly orientation (landscape), although as mentioned it can’t be rotated and some apps default to portrait and can’t be changed, annoying! However it’s not running an Android phone OS like the U9GT4.
The compatibility is good, beating most of our tablets. Twitter and ITV Player apps work so no need to go to the websites. The hardware kept up with our tasks well and the animated backgrounds look cool.

In summary the tablet is good, but it is fairly transparent after using it for a half hour that Pipo intends the S1 to be a e-book reader or mini smart pad, rather than a full android tablet. It is much better spec’d than Cubes’ version though, with HDMI out and a proper charger jack. It’s also cheaper.

If you want a high spec 7inch and can live with the display software issues then there’s no reason to buy anything else really.

Heres the spec...

Spec
ModelPipo Smart S1
Operating System4.1.1
Display7 inch Capacitative touch screen
Resolution800x480 pixels
CPUDual-core 1.6 GHz RK3066
GPUQuad-core Mali 400
RAM1GB
ROM8GB
CameraDual Cameras Front 0.3, Back 2.0 Megapixel
WiFiYes, 802.11 b/g
3Gvia Dongle
MicrophoneYes
G-sensorYes
BluetoothNo
HDMI1080p
GPSNo
FlashYes
Android MarketYes
3D GamingYes
Connectivity
To PCvia USB (Micro Type B)
To 3G Donglevia USB OTG Cable into Micro USB Type B
To HD Devicevia HDMI Mini
To External Storagevia USB (Micro Type B)
Power
Battery3200 Mah, 3.7V
Working TimeAbout 4 Hours
Power DeviceAC USB Adapter
Appearance
ColorBlack
Dimensions193.5 x 119.5 x 11 mm
Net Weight340g
Aditional Info
Ports1 x DC In
1 x Micro SD Card Slot
1 x Earphone Jack
1 x HDMI Mini Slot
1 x Micro USB (Type B)
What's in the box1 x Smart S1 Tablet
1 x AC Charger (USB)
1 x Micro USB Cable (Type B)
1 x OTG Cable (Micro Type B)
1 x Manual

We sell it, check it out: PiPO SMART-S1 7 INCH DUAL CORE RK3066 1.6GHz ANDROID 4.1 JELLY BEAN TABLET PC - Android Tablet

We tested these apps:

App
Google Play storeINSTALLED
Google MapsINSTALLED
YoutubeYES
FacebookYES
SkypeYES
TwitterYES
WhatsappNO
MSNYES
ViberNO
TangoYES
iPlayer/BBC MediaYES
SkyGoNO
ITV PlayerYES
4odWEBSITE
NetflixYES
TV CatchupYES
Angry BirdsYES
eBayYES

rebeltiger

Dec 30, 2012
Before I start I'd like to add that I am a Linux geek and have My A+ and Network+ certifications so I do know what I am talking about. The Pipo s1 is a great tablet as for screen stretching I do not see it. As far as comparing it to any tablet By Ainol is a great mistake, The Pipo s1 is far superior in almost every way. My Ainol tablet now is being sold cheap to a friend because the Pipo is very comparable to my son New Samsung Galaxy Tab. The size is almost identical same ram and rom, it only lacks Samsung proprietary software and the remote control chip. The only problems are the Wi-Fi tends to drain the battery much faster than The Samsung so be sure to turn off Wi-Fi when not use, also it lacks a quality back camera. Anyone trying to Say Ainol tablets are better is kidding themselves they have phantom screen taps and do not charge well due to poor quality charge chords, oh and let's not forget Wi-Fi that refuses to work if your router is not on channel 11. Further The Pipo s1 feels solid just Like Samsung, Ainol tablets feel like if you squeeze the cheap plastic will snap. Ainol also uses MPIS processor opposed to The ARM processor in The Pipo s1 leaving the Ainol tablet unable to use almost half the applications in play store. In concussion Pipo s1 is a great tablet for your personal use but I recommend staying away from Ainol products. This was written on my Pipo

Last edited:

rebeltiger

Dec 30, 2012
For clarity Pipo s1 does have a Webcam facing the user but it's low quality for Skype or web casts. It lacks a camera that you would print pictures from.

Last edited:

mesk

Jan 9, 2013
Just thought I would add to this.I ordered a Pipo S1 on 1-7-2013 it arrived today.Ive seen some reviews stating that if a sd card inserted it will keep waking up,and a few other things .I just wanted to let everyone know that these problems seem to have been fixed. I have a sd card inserted and it sleeps like a baby.I also was given a English manual ( a few people mentioned it coming with a Chinese manual) However the manual is for a Android 4.0 device,and to my surprise the manual is almost identical to the manual that came with my now returned Zeepad 7.0.Also it only came with one installed Chinese app and it was disabled.Im currently charging it now,through my PC with a sd card installed and all seems to be well.Also this is stock JB 4.1.1,I havent had the chance to root yet.

I wanted a cheaper tablet for travel so I made the mistake of buying a $69 Zeepad 7.0.It wouldnt charge to 100%,the battery fluctuated,just powering on dropped the battery from 92% to 89%,it was just a mistake that I thankfully rectified.This tablet (S1) is a little speed demon! I didnt expect much from a $109.00 tablet but im pleasantly surprised!

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Just got one of these for the wife.

Well built, nice, responsive with JB, cheap ...and the rotate issue is solved by changing launchers. Go Launcher works fine ..and rotates.

:)