[Review] Window (YuanDao) N101

didobuy

Oct 10, 2012
View attachment 8638View attachment 8639
The Window N101; we think the best way to review this tablet is to compare it to something similar, like the Pipo Max M1. Both are around the same price and both have similar specs but perhaps the first thing you’ll notice is the in-built memory. You get 32GB of storage space straight out the box, so no need to spend extra on an SD card.
The specs from there on in are top of the range for a Chinese import tablet today (oct, 2012). The screen is right up there in clarity and definition as well which always makes the tablet feel good quality and a real alternative to the leading brands.

The model we tested here, built on the 08[SUP]th[/SUP] of October 2012, has firmware capable of handling most apps, the only unusual trouble spots were twitter and ITV Player being website only.

We are really struggling to fault this tablet, which according to most sites is a ‘hot sell’. We can see why. Even the most enthusiastic 4 year old couldn’t button-bash this to a standstill.

Perhaps hiding the HDMI, SD and USB ports behind a little pseudo case is annoying, but that’s it. It comes well packaged and equipped, all the cables and leads, looks good, runs really well and got a really good score with AnTuTu benchmark:

$n101result.png

Overall we rate the tablet very highly, its competitively priced and there’s there no need to buy additional memory for it. Never heard of the Window/YuanDao brand before this tablet so we were surprised it performed as well as Cube/Ainol/Pipo etc.
Here’s the specs:

Spec
Model
Window N101
Operating System
Display
10.1 inch IPS Capacitive screen
Resolution
1280 x 752 px
CPU
Cortex-A9 dual-core 1.6GHz
GPU
Mali 400
RAM
1GB DDR3
ROM
32GB
Camera
dual cameras, front 2.0, back 2.0
WiFi
802.11 b/g/n
3G
via Dongle
Microphone
Yes
G-sensor
Yes
Bluetooth
Yes
HDMI
Yes
GPS
No
Flash
Flash 11
Android Market
Yes
3D Gaming
Yes
Connectivity
To PC
via USB (Micro Type B)
To 3G Dongle
via USB OTG
To HD Device
via HDMI Mini Cable
To External Storage
via USB (Micro Type B)
Power
Battery

7200mAh
Working Time
5 Hours
Power Device
AC Adapter
Appearance
Color
Black/White
Dimensions
255 x 168 x 9.9mm
Net Weight
635g
Aditional Info
Ports
1 x DC Jack
1 x Micro USB (Type B)
1 x Earphone Jack
1 x Micro SD Card Slot
1 x HDMI Mini
What's in the box
1 x Tablet PC
1 x AC Charger
1 x Micro USB Cable (Type B)
1 x User Manual
1 x USB OTG Cable
1 x Earphones

Here’s the apps (our version was :

App
Google Play store
INSTALLED
Google Maps
INSTALLED
Youtube
YES
Facebook
YES
Twitter
WEBSITE
Whatsapp
NO
MSN
YES
Viber
NO
Tango
YES
iPlayer/BBC Media
YES
SkyGo
NO
ITV Player
WEBSITE
4od
WEBSITE
Netflix
YES
TV Catchup
YES
Angry Birds
YES
eBay
YES

Here's the listing: Window (YuanDao) N101 10.1" Tablet PC Android 4.1, Cortex A9 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 32GB - Android Tablet

Skakaberg

Oct 29, 2012
I have ordered one of these today from your link.. it looks very promising. will let you know how I get on.

:D

didobuy

Oct 10, 2012
I have ordered one of these today from your link.. it looks very promising. will let you know how I get on.

:D

Oh yeh I can see your order just came through. It will be dispatched tomorrow ill make sure :) thanks.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

didobuy

Oct 10, 2012
One quick question if I may. your website description suggests it is version 2 although it does not spefifically state this. Can you confirm this is the N101 version 2?

Regards

Yeh it has "N101 dual core (in chinese) II" on the back; the "II" meaning version 2. Ill update the listing to include this. Thanks

Skakaberg

Oct 29, 2012
Oh yeh I can see your order just came through. It will be dispatched tomorrow ill make sure :) thanks.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Product arrived this morning. I had a quick play with it and I have to say I am very impressed. Screen is bright and responsive and the new speaker loud and clear. I will have a more in depth look at it tonight when I get home but this looks like the bargain of the century.

didobuy

Oct 10, 2012

Skakaberg

Oct 29, 2012
There are reviews on the internet of this tablet being used with a 3G dongle via the ~OTG USB slot with no issues. on a side note can anyone tell me if the verion II is any bigger then the original one? I have ordered a case and it does not fit.

JimboX

Jan 21, 2013
Hi, I was looking for a RK3066 tablet, and I was so impressed by this review that I've just ordered mine from Didobuy too (and joined the forum :D). I had a N90 before, ordered from China - it was pretty well built and had a good IPS screen (when it eventually arrived) - but it was slow in comparison to today's tablets, and battery drain from the single core chip was bad even on standby.

Looking forward to getting the N101 II ...

JimboX

Jan 21, 2013
Window N101 II arrived quickly (thanks Didobuy - great service) - first impressions are great build quality, excellent screen. It's not quite as fast as my Nexus 7, but it's certainly no slouch either. Plays games like Shadowgun well. WiFi signal excellent, local English UK setup with the Chinese apps disabled. It's also not as heavy as I would expect for a 10.1" ... so far, I'd highly recommend it.

The only thing is that I've been unable to root it - I've tried the two methods posted elsewhere to no avail. Superoneclick notes that the tablet appears to be rooted already (it isn't) and although the process completes and says it's successful, the tablet's not rooted on re-boot.

I'd like to get it rooted to install things like AdFree, and remove (rather than disable) the Chinese apps.

Anybody got any ideas? ... Thanks in advance :D

Edit: Here's the log from 'one of' the rooting tools - they all have the same issue with modifying the contents of the /system/app directory -

*---* VonDroid.com N101 II Root Tool based on work by sunnydavid *---*
--- Plug in your device, make sure debugging is enabled in Developer Options
--- This script will now copy files over to your N101 II

--- Reboot 1/3 - Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted
Press any key to continue . . .
--- Reboot 2/3 - Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
--- If the ID shows as 0/root then continue, otherwise CTRL+C to cancel and star
t over
remount succeeded
1796 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.050s)
5190 KB/s (1062992 bytes in 0.200s)
--- Installing SuperSU
Unable to chown /system/app/SuperSU.apk: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/app/SuperSU.apk: No such file or directory
failed to copy 'RootExplorer.apk' to '/system/app/RootExplorer.apk': No space le
ft on device
Unable to chown /system/app/RootExplorer.apk: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/app/RootExplorer.apk: No such file or directory
Completing Root
echo --- Reboot 3/3 - Your N101 II should now be rooted

(I know it's the wrong section - I'll pop a new thread in the appropriate one.)

Another Edit!

N101 II is now rooted. Ran the above script a couple of times (same errors as above), then manually installed Superuser from Google play, re-booted, and it is now rooted. Possibly someone with better knowledge of Android will know what the issue is - but I'm just glad I got SU access - all the Chinese apps now uninstalled, AdFree installed and hosts file updated. Great!

Last edited:

pudaniel

Sep 18, 2011
I've been looking for a good tablet under $250 that has some power, memory and easy to access aps (google play) for my wife. I've gone through 3 Models of Craig Kyros Tables and was dissatisfied with all. I've been keeping an eye on this WEB site (Free Shipping China Electronics Wholesale - Direct Dropship Electronics From China) where I bought a great 10" DVD player. Last month I found this Tablet and it was $209 + shipping ($32+). When I got it in I was impressed with all functions. The only Issues I've had are The Chinese manual (users guide) and some of the Chinese language programs. Once I went in and set language to English and removed the Chinese language programs I was able load all my wife's email, facebook and game apps.