Ripping and Conversion that actually works?

bhyatt43

Feb 15, 2012
So I just received a Sony Tablet S from my wife for VD. I have been using my TMobile LG G2x pretty extensively for video/movies. Obviously the screen size was small, but it killed time at 30000ft with no WiFi. I travel quite a bit. I was using WinX DVD Ripper with some success to rip down some of the DVD in my collection to memory cards as MP4. I hadn't purchased the full version yet so it was spotty.
A friend recommended BestBuy's Cinema now and I downloaded 2 titles last night only to be extremely disappointed to find that it was in wmv format. WinX DVD Ripper doesn't support wmv -> MP4 conversion. Tried a trial version of HandBrake only to find that once it was encoded I was completely lost. I'm not totally clueless ... but defintely not overly software savvy.

So what programs have been used and work ... no kidding no gimmicks? I don't mind paying less than $50 for a full version of something that actually works. Obviously google brings back hundreds chalking themselves up as the hands down best. I realize that each platform has drawbacks so I wanted to ask Tablet S users direct.
Thanks in advance.

B

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Check out sothinkmedia.com. Their DVD ripper works well. It is not free, though. Also, you could try Tipard DVD Ripper. Any Video Converter might work, but it has been a long time since I used it.

Hope you like your Sony S!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for that one, JP! Only $10 and it looks at least as functional as the one I paid $35 for. Lesson learned.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for that one, JP! Only $10 and it looks at least as functional as the one I paid $35 for. Lesson learned.

You're welcome. Even better you can get direct support for DVD Catalyst right here on AndroidTablets.net if you have any issues. DVD Catalyst seems helpful and friendly :)

bhyatt43

Feb 15, 2012
Its like some kind of joke. I download the paid version of DVD catalyst and the first step of picking your device ... no Sony Tablet S. Every other device in the universe, but no Sony Tablet S. I need a drink.

bhyatt43

Feb 15, 2012
Its like some kind of joke. I download the paid version of DVD catalyst and the first step of picking your device ... no Sony Tablet S. Every other device in the universe, but no Sony Tablet S. I need a drink.

I ended up chose the Galaxy 10 as teh help files suggested picking a similar device. But now it will only rip down about 40-45% and then it kicks open teh DVD tray like it's finished. The video and audio looks ok, but doesn't finish. Plan to go hit them up in teh vendor area.

D

dvdcatalyst

I ended up chose the Galaxy 10 as teh help files suggested picking a similar device. But now it will only rip down about 40-45% and then it kicks open teh DVD tray like it's finished. The video and audio looks ok, but doesn't finish. Plan to go hit them up in teh vendor area.

I just replied to your PM and your email as well.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your purchase,

Somehow I missed the Sony tablets for profiles, but just about all the top-end Android 10" tablets are the same when it comes to video. Same OS, same CPU, same screen resolution, same internal video capabilities. The Galaxy 10.1 profile you selected is fine.

As your the issue you are experiencing, this could be related to the DVD.
Please check and see if your DVD is listed here:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/08/...blem-dvd-list/

if not, please try a different one (and let me know which one it is you are having issues with) and see if you encounter the same issue with a different DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Choosing Acer should work too, right? They both have 3.2 and my wife has one.

bhyatt43

Feb 15, 2012
Well lets see ... er ... ummm .... yeah most of the problem was overzealous operator error. With the exception of a couple glitches, the DVD Catalyst is working like a charm. And the support has been great. My concerns were answered via email within a couple hours. I chose the Motorola Xoom as output an dwhen I tried the files on my Sony it was spot on.
DVD Catayst is well worth the $10.

davect01

Jan 22, 2012
Just thought I would add a few thoughts.

I too have DVD Catalyst and have quite a few movies that I have converted, but they were converted to my old tablet, a 7" Archos. I have tried a few of them on the Sony and they look fine.

I have yet to try any movies specifically for the Sony, thanks for the hint as using the Xoom settings.

As to the conversion process, 90% of the time the conversion goes just fine. However sometimes something goes wrong in the conversion process. If your movie does not play right, just redo it and it should be fine.

D

dvdcatalyst

Choosing Acer should work too, right? They both have 3.2 and my wife has one.

That will work fine as well.

There is no real difference between the top-brand 10" tablets when it comes to video playback, so the profiles for them are mostly the same

However, there are differences between fast, hq, hq2 and hqxt. For more information on those profiles, please have a look here:

DVD Catalyst 4 – Device Profiles Explained (4.1.x) | Tools4Movies

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Quick question, how long does it take to rip a two hr video (about 2 gb)?

D

dvdcatalyst

Quick question, how long does it take to rip a two hr video (about 2 gb)?

It depends on a couple of things, such as the profile selected, the type of source material (dvd, video file) and of course the processor in your computer.

On average, I can convert a 2 hour DVD at about 7x realtime using the "plain" xoom profile, so slightly under 20 minutes, but I use a quad-core processor. If you select a HQ profile, or enable some advanced features, it can take quite a bit longer. If you are converting from an HD source, it can take a bit longer as well.

There are some DVDs that DVD Catalyst converts using a safe-mode in order for them to work ("restarted conversion"), which is also a bit slower than normal.