Ripping Movies for Iconia using Handbrake

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I found this here:

Ripping movies... - Page 2 - Android Forums

found it!
Using the following handbrake setting, you will get files that will play perfectly on your xoom. OK guys, so here it is:

Start off with selecting the 'iPod Legacy' profile.
Then go into 'Picture Settings' and change the width and height to 1280x720
(If you want to achieve better quality and have a 1080p source, you can set it to 1920x1080)
Make sure that under 'Video' the code is set to h264, frame rate same as source and average bit rate 2200
Next up in 'Audio' select a samplerate of 48 and a bitrate of 160
Make sire that large file size, web optimized, and iPod 5g support are all unchecked and then hit start.

I think we can tinker with those settings (especially bit rate) a little more to get a better picture quality, but the method described above already outputs a prety decent result which plays without any stutter or lag for me.

I just used it for True Grit and it works great! The Iconia shines on movies [now]. Remember, Handbrake is free.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
As I now I have 3 more blu-rays...the last one is at full 1920 x 1080. I just changed the picture settings part. Plays with no problems using the standard players on the Iconia. Also, these vids play well on the iPad 2 as well.

dragon37

May 14, 2011
Meh. I gave up on Handbrake when I found that it didn't handle audio conversion very well at all. All I use now is RipBot264.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Meh. I gave up on Handbrake when I found that it didn't handle audio conversion very well at all. All I use now is RipBot264.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

What do you mean it doesn't handle audio conversion very well? I've had no problems. What do you need in regards to audio conversion?

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
I think this is a brilliant answer to some issues I've had. DVDFAB has a free ripper, but the conversion utilities are only good for 30 days, then you pay. Handbrake does the conversion of VOB to something that the A500 can understand. Looks like the files are a little bigger 1+ gb instead of under a gb for most movies. I wonder if tweeking the settings could help get the size down a little.

I can say that with audio, Handbrake can NAIL the audio/video sink where dvdfab misses it sometimes (the result is a video that seems to play in FF).

The recommendation is to use the Legacy IPOD, I wonder if Apple TV would work too. That is the format that was being used with dvdfab. Now to go find that short 20 minute video to try all the options on....

Ken

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Part of the reason the files are bigger, at least in what I've been doing, is with this change I need specify the frame size of 1280 by 800, that of the 10.1 screen. Prior to that, I was encoding at the iPad frame size, 1024 by 768. I have also done some 1920 by 1080 for Iconia, too. I have one movie that is 3GB.

Experimentation is key here, though.

I'm planning to solve the space problem this way:

Seagate GoFlex Satellite Review - ComputerShopper.com

That way, I can get best quality rips for both Iconia and iPad without having to worry too much about control of file size.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
What am I doing wrong? I try to set the picture size to 1280 x 720 and the entries continue to default to 720 by 480 (i think). I can't get the defaults to change. I'm missing a button somewhere.

any ideas?

Ken

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
What am I doing wrong? I try to set the picture size to 1280 x 720 and the entries continue to default to 720 by 480 (i think). I can't get the defaults to change. I'm missing a button somewhere.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you are doing. Are you on the picture tab? You should see source under that and then a box for Width. Keep the aspect fixed and just type in the width. The height will scale as needed. You should then be able to start your rip.

What I did is start with the iPad Legacy profile and then make the changes stated up there. Then I saved this as a custom preset called Android. Now, I just open that present and have a go. If I want to rip at 1920 by 1080, I just make sure the width is set to 1920....

$handbrake1.png

Last edited:

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Your picture showed me the problem. When I ripped with DVDFAB it ripped at 720x480 so the convert couldn't make it bigger than the source.
Also for anyone else out there if you leave the audio to AUTO then the audio track seems to be off just enough to drive you crazy.

Now I'm trying legacy apple tv to see what the output looks like.

Ken

urdaddi

May 6, 2011
I have tried to use Handbrake to convert a VOB file, and Handcrake coujld not do it. DVDFab would convert the file, but the resulting file quality was horrible - much different than when using DVDFab to rip directly from a commercial DVD where the quality is good.

sgtarky

May 31, 2011
I use anydvd and clone dvd to rip dvds, when I ran hanbrake it says my sources are 720x480, so I guess I wont be able to use my videos :( btw I didnt know how to change the output size in clonedvd

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
Foxreal Blu-ray Ripper helps convert/rip Blu-ray or DVD disc movies to MKV, AVI, WMV, MP4, 3GP, MOV, MPEG, FLV, F4V, MPG or other audio/video formats for playback on your portable devices or media players with ease, such as iPad 2, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, Droid X, Droid Pro, Motorola Atrix, Droid Bionic, Motorola Xoom Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S, BlackBerry PlayBook, Nokia, Acer iconia a500, HTC EVO 4G, Apple TV, WDTV, HDTV, PS3, PSP, Xbox 360, Nexus S, Wii, Nexus One and more.