Ripping Videos from DVD to the Acer - Solved

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey all,

With some help from Ken (taichimaster), we've figured out a good way to rip DVD video to good-quality watching on the Acer. You will need "DVDFab 8" for this, which is free and downloadable from the internet.

1) Open DVDFab 8, and put in your DVD.
2) Select "DVD Ripper" from the menu on the left.
3) Hover down to "More" on the Ripper section, and select "AVI"
4) At the bottom of the window, there's a selection for "Profile" which is currently set to "generic.avi.divx.audiocopy". This needs to be changed to "generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy"
5) To further customize (sacrifice Quality for Size of File), you can select "Edit" to the right of where you chose the profile. Here you can choose a customized "bitrate"... lower bitrate is lower quality, but smaller file. Then press "OK". I wouldn't go lower than 950 KBPS but your milage may vary on this depending on the video.
6) Select the episodes / files you want to rip, select Start, wait, and that's it!

Your new file will play on the Acer tablet, using Moboplayer.

If you choose option (5), to lower the bitrate to decrease the filesize, I noticed that 950 KBPS is watchable if you're not out to impress. But if you're wanting to do an HDMI thing or just have better quality, and can handle the drive space, then 1400 KBPS or higher is probably the way to go. One more thing - if you're ripping Family Guy or South Park or something, then you can probably get away with 800 KBPS or maybe even a bit less.

There are probably more options in formats, so if anyone else has a favorite format, please let me know!

Dan

Last edited:

freakaphex

Apr 28, 2011
Sweet thanks!! I've been trying to figuring it out but haven't had any luck :( but you made my job easier :)

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Let us know how it works out! Also, if you end up customizing the bitrate, let us know what you chose, and what you're outcome was! I bet action-movies would need a higher bitrate than dramas. I love the control of DVDFab 8 - thanks taichi Ken for the heads up on that.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I'm using ripper.

Then there should be a "more" option. That's where you find avi.

After you select avi, then at the bottom is the profile, which you change to xvid.

That make sense? Wonder if there is a codec I acquired. If you don't see avi, then see xvid, let me know. I can check my codecs.

urdaddi

May 6, 2011
Thanks for the info Dan. I was looking on the website for DVDfab and they have several products. I want to make sure that I get the correct version. One of my intended uses for the Iconia Tab is to use it to watch DVD's. I appreciate your info that you have provided here. :)

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Get to the DVDFab website. Pick the DOWNLOAD option at the top of the screen. Pick DVDFab trial/update. Right now it's version 8.0.8.5.

A little caution here. I think the way it works is that everything works 100% for 30 days then it disables itself. The strange thing is that there is a new update in about that time that you can download and the process starts all over again.

If you really like the results you might want to help the company stay in business and buy the product.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Any way to rip them so much will play in the built in movie player, not mobo?
What works in mobo does not work on my nexus one.

urdaddi

May 6, 2011
I just finished with following your directions. It took about 22 minutes for DVDfab ripper to rip & convert my DVD into a file just as the directions stated.

Once the ripped movie was finished, I then copied the avi file onto a SanDisk 16GB Cruzer USB drive. That took a couple of minutes for the 1.3GB file.

I then plugged the USB into my Acer Tablet; opened up my recently installed Mobo Player. I directed Mobo Player to the USB drive and selected the movie.

All I can say is WOW! It was flawless. I could not see any lag or skipping anywhere....which I was expecting to get some just from having the movie played directly from the USB drive. I was extremely impressed with the outcome of this procedure.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Urdaddi, glad it worked out! just out of curiosity, was it a fast/action movie? What did you use for bitrate?

Ice, you can rip to mp4 from dvdfab... I had trouble getting that to work, but taichi had that format working. I think that's also under the avi area, but I could be wrong.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
To rip to a format the stock movie player can read, you probably want H.264 (as opposed to MP4)

There is an option for that, under "AVI" then under profiles - you'd want "generic.avi.h264.audiocopy".

Try that, I bet that would work. Let us know if it does... I'll try it if I get some time this weekend.

It'd be fun to try a side-by-side quality-check on all the different options. If only I had a high-action movie I could test it out with.

GadjetGirl59

Jan 22, 2011
Dan,

Thanks for the guide for ripping dvds for the A500. What about for videos that I already have on a USB stick? How would convert those files which are avi?

Thanks for your help

kxs783kms

Dec 20, 2010
To rip to a format the stock movie player can read, you probably want H.264 (as opposed to MP4)

There is an option for that, under "AVI" then under profiles - you'd want "generic.avi.h264.audiocopy".

I just converted the movie Tangled with this setup and the picture and sound(quality and sync) turned out flawless. I didn't edit anything, it ripped at 1364 bitrate and it took 4 1/2 hours to complete( the movie is 1hr 40 mins long), but it was worth it. The file size ended up being 1.05 GB. I wish it wouldn't take so long to convert, but I can't accept a low quality picture. Thanks for the info OP.

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Dan,

Thanks for the guide for ripping dvds for the A500. What about for videos that I already have on a USB stick? How would convert those files which are avi?

Thanks for your help

Hey gadjet...

I haven't tried this myself, but dvdfab has a video converter option. I would try that. Once you select video converter and move past the pop-up info screen, you can hover over "more" to select avi. You can then drag your video to convert into the labelled section of the window.

Don't forget to choose the proper profile before converting. The box for that is on the bottom, in a dropdown. You want the generic xvid as stated above, if moboplayer is your goal. For the stock player, try the generic H.264 profile.

Let us know if that works. I have no videos to convert to test it out.

Last edited: