Ripping Videos from DVD to the Acer - Solved

bweave

May 15, 2011
I followed the steps above and the video worked great but i did not get any audio. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any help you can offer.....

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Just tried something and I want to know if anyone else will give it a test and let me know if they see the same thing.

Ripping into a xvid file like above works fine but I think the videos are a little washed out or towards the blue spectrum. I tried the "apple tv" option and got the following:
1. Colors seem better
2. Rip was faster
3. File was a little smaller

And Mobo was able read it just fine.

Anyone else want to give this a try and report back on the colors and rip time.

Ken

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just tried something and I want to know if anyone else will give it a test and let me know if they see the same thing.

Ripping into a xvid file like above works fine but I think the videos are a little washed out or towards the blue spectrum. I tried the "apple tv" option and got the following:
1. Colors seem better
2. Rip was faster
3. File was a little smaller

And Mobo was able read it just fine.

Anyone else want to give this a try and report back on the colors and rip time.

Ken

Well, it didn't work for me.

I used a CD from a set of TV shows that someone gave me (Stargate if you must know).

Rip times were about 12 minutes for a 45 minute program (best I can remember).
(This is a quad core machine, and DVDfab8 will busy up all 4 cores while ripping).
I adjusted the size slider in Dvdfab8 so that the size would be comparable to others I had ripped from the same CD.
I could play them with VLC on windows, (but could not suppress subtitles, apparently those are embedded at rip time).

However when I transferred these over to the Acer, nothing could play them except Mobo, and even Mobo required that you select the Soft-decoding option, and the sound w a s v e e e r r r y s l o o o w...
The color was fine.

Since it worked for you, I thought I must have screwed something up and I ripped it again using all the default settings (other than suppressing subtitles).

This took 7 minutes, and the file size was 1/3 BIGGER than my AVIs (but those were using the settings recommended up-thread and had the quality slider down a bit from normal).

When this one was copied to the Acer, and played with Mobo there was no sound and the video was very fast, skipping massive amount of frames. Soft decoding slowed it down, but then the sound was slow.

So perhaps you could post the EXACT settings you used for AppleTV, cuz it won't work for me.

As for the too-blue, try adjusting mobo's output (fingers on left and right side of playing movie).

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'm really upset by the amount of trial and error required to get videos to run correctly on this tablet. Not only must you used different software on the tablet to play the vids, but you most also play around with different software on your encoding/transcoding PC.

The standard ought to be that any vid that plays, should play correctly. If you want to swap out software, fine. But spending time testing this and that is a poor game.

JS11

May 17, 2011
For DVD's use Dvd Catalyst 4 and select Motorola Xoom as output until they add the Acer A500. Plays on stock player with no issues. You can buy it at www.tools4movies.com for $9.95. It takes about 20-25 minutes for a movie with a quad core. For blu-rays use Blu-ray ripper from Dvdfab and select MP4 as ouput. It takes about an hour with a quad core and the quality is great. Also plays on stock player with no issues.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
For DVD's use Dvd Catalyst 4 and select Motorola Xoom as output until they add the Acer A500. Plays on stock player with no issues. You can buy it at DVD Catalyst 4 | DVD and MKV to Galaxy Tab, Iconica, iPad2, NOOK, Playbook, Transformer, Xoom and more. for $9.95. It takes about 20-25 minutes for a movie with a quad core. For blu-rays use Blu-ray ripper from Dvdfab and select MP4 as ouput. It takes about an hour with a quad core and the quality is great. Also plays on stock player with no issues.

I'm trying this now. I'm a little confused as to why those from Handbrake don't work....they for fine on the iPad 2.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Ok...just make Blu-ray rip using DVDFab to transcode to MP4 format. I'm using the Blu-ray of the film Serenity as my test case. I just used default settings.

When I played this back using Mobo player, the image only took up a block of screen, leaving bars on both left/right and top/bottom. Also, while it is not choppy, the quality is obviously less than what I had with HandBrake.

So, now i'm using the player that comes default on the Acer. Not the clear-fi thing. This one can scale the image of fill the screen on the left & right, leaving bars only at the top/bottom, where they should be. Another thing is the that the audio level is better via DVDfab than via Handbrake. I always have troubling with the volume being too low when ripping blu-rays on Handbrake.

So, all in all, it seems the iPad has a leg up on videos compared to HC. While the screen is better the same vids that play and stream on iPad are choppy on HC/Tegra. If you lower the bit-rate, it seems you can rid yourself of the choppiness.

I'd really only like to do the transcoding once and then be able to use the movie on both tablets and my Google TV, too.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
In Mobo player, touch along the bottom of the screen to get the mobo player "command line" up. On the left side you will see a "[ ]" thing. Push it and it scrolls through all the different aspect ratios.

Ken

JS11

May 17, 2011
I did Serenity as well but it's not a good example to use because it was not shot HD and was converted later. It's so so in quality. I also did Book of Eli and it looks a lot better.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your help in this. I've been putting DVDs on my acer iconia all night and morning. It's one of the main things I bought the tablet for, and I was really disappointed when I couldnt get anything to work well. I know this was probably easy for you, but I really just wanted to thank you sincerely for your help with this!

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
It seems that transcodes from DVDFab8 work on both the Acer and the iPad 2. I think I can live with this solution. Thanks.

linetrash118

May 21, 2011
Thank God I found this thread. I've been screwing around with this off and on for a couple of weeks now. Thanks for the hard work guys. One question I have though, is there anywhere I can buy and download rather than having to buy a dvd?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Thank God I found this thread. I've been screwing around with this off and on for a couple of weeks now. Thanks for the hard work guys. One question I have though, is there anywhere I can buy and download rather than having to buy a dvd?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Android Market, though they are blocking on rooted devices.