Ripping Videos from DVD to the Acer - Solved

IsotopeFeaney

May 20, 2011
For DVD's use Dvd Catalyst 4 and select Motorola Xoom as output until they add the Acer A500. Plays on stock player with no issues. You can buy it at www.tools4movies.com for $9.95. It takes about 20-25 minutes for a movie with a quad core. For blu-rays use Blu-ray ripper from Dvdfab and select MP4 as ouput. It takes about an hour with a quad core and the quality is great. Also plays on stock player with no issues.

If you have an SD card installed, this is the fast and easy way to covert DVDs and video files to play on the NemoPlayer or on the Clear.Fi. No need to download another player. Well worth the $9.95 price. Thanks for the heads up JS11.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Handbrake is free and with proper settings, makes perfect videos that play perfectly fine on the Acer. Money well spent is not spent, in this case.

Last edited:

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Handbrake is free and with proper settings, makes perfect videos that play perfectly fine on the Acer. Money well spent is not spent, in this case.

Agree but i wasnt happy with my iPod converions. Maybe i was doing something wrong? DVD Cat works. Thats all i know.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Agree but i wasnt happy with my iPod converions. Maybe i was doing something wrong? DVD Cat works. Thats all i know.

Well, if I weren't happy I'd fine something that worked too, so I don't blame you.

I do remember that when I first started ripping for my Iconia, the rips were choppy when playing. I tried DVDFab8 and that helped, but only worked for a month. Then I went over to the Xoom forum here and found some setting with Handbrake that works on the Iconia too. So, now I can play my rips on my Iconia, iPad, laptops, and google TV.

It does seem as there is a bit if a mystery getting rips to work across a range of devices. I wish I could say I understand all the details perfectly.

Wall

Jul 8, 2011
I have been able to rip movies using DVDFab 8 into avi files and they work fine on my a500. Thought I would try ripping into an mp4 file. It runs, but at super sonic speed and no sound. Can someone tell me how to fix this or how to use Handbreak or am I stuck with avi? Which is better avi or mp4?

beastman

May 8, 2011
I was having problems so tried avi. It worked better.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I have been able to rip movies using DVDFab 8 into avi files and they work fine on my a500. Thought I would try ripping into an mp4 file. It runs, but at super sonic speed and no sound. Can someone tell me how to fix this or how to use Handbreak or am I stuck with avi? Which is better avi or mp4?

handbrake1.png

handbrake2.png

handbrake3.png

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
To use Handbrake, you need something like AnyDVDHD to remove the copy protection. Without that, handbrake can't rip. DVDFab8 has it's own copy protection remover built in. Both AnyDVDHD and DVDFab8 cost money, so you have to decide.

I actually prefer constant quality RF=24 in handbrake. Average Bitrate of 2200 also work. You can also rip to 1280 by 720p as well. Sample rate of 48 seems to be important, though I don't know why. I should play around some more with that setting, but I'm been sticking to it really strong for some reason.

Last edited:

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
What an excellent job, pics and all. Put this thread together from what you have done and you have a user's manual on how to get dvds to the tablet and more.

One minor clarification: DVDFAB - if you are using it ONLY for the rip to VOB files, then that part is free. Then you can hand the results over to Handbrake to convert.

Ken:)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
What an excellent job, pics and all. Put this thread together from what you have done and you have a user's manual on how to get dvds to the tablet and more.

One minor clarification: DVDFAB - if you are using it ONLY for the rip to VOB files, then that part is free. Then you can hand the results over to Handbrake to convert.

Ken:)

Question: DVDfab8 will rip to VOB for free, but not a similar thing for Blu-ray, right?

Personally, I want my rips -- if possible -- to be at least 1280 by 800 (or whatever make sense based on the movie). That means Blu-ray. It would be nice if there were some upscaling software that would make DVD rips go to HD quality.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Don't know about blue ray.

We've lived with a "tube" model tv with NO HD until about 3 weeks ago. I think we were using it to heat the house during the winter.

Finally talked my wife into a HD flatscreen tv. I was looking at the 40 to 50 inch models and she said they were too big. Yea, when you are standing 2 feet from them.

We ended up getting a 32 inch HD tv. Its screen area is smaller than the tube tv we gave away.

My wife brought it home to surprise me, she got a deal! Screen res was only 1024.

So no blue ray answers, no blue ray player.

Well, I at least have some HDMI ports to play with now.

Saw the "beast" that you have. I'm going to have to bring my wife over to your house to show her what is possible when you aren't looking for the "deal".

Ken

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Ken,

I got my beast on a deal too! You have to do the research first, tell your lovely wife what to get, and let her bring home the deal. :)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Most people buy too small when it comes to flat screens.
Measure your space and get the largest one your budget and wall space will accommodate.
Measure your couch-to-wall distance before you go shopping, and stand no closer while choosing.

That being said, I don't see me hooking my tablet up to my big screen.