Ripping Videos from DVD to the Acer - Solved

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
I am exhausted after reading through this entire thread. I guess I don't get it. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just download the movie from Amazon to your A500?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I am exhausted after reading through this entire thread. I guess I don't get it. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just download the movie from Amazon to your A500?

If you're not into ripping DVDs and blu-rays, I'd try Google first for movie downloads. Has anyone confirmed that Amazon will let you download a movie and will it play on the Tab? Personally, I can't see paying a rental to download to my tablet, but I have other viable options.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Wanted to get some thoughts on this. Having issues with clearfi with movies showing up after I rip them. Sometimes they show up right away, other times I have to screw with it forever. Seems to be the problem is that they are not showing up in my WMP Library either. I add the containing folder and it shows all the other films I've ripped except the two I'm having issues with. The ONLY thing I've changed on occasion is the bitrate for keeping around a certain file size. This is a reoccuring issue with some movies. When I eventually get it to work by luck it seems, then they show up. I have the folders shared on my network. I suppose I can dump them on a flashdrive, but it's easier to stream when at home.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Sounds as if you WMP database is getting corrupted it. I've had this problem too. You can find a setting deep inside that will force WMP to rebuild the database, but be warned, if you have a lot of music files, pictures and videos it would take a nice long time.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Thanks. I don't mind the wait. I can just let it go over night. BUT I hate WMP. The interface is AWFUL! The only thing I don't like with clearfi is that it seems you have to have the files in your WMP library in order to have them visible. Or is there another way?

Okay, so I removed the folder from the library. Jumped through the settings again to find the right location, then re added. (I've done this before several times and it didn't work, but it decided to work this time) Noticed the icon had a lock on it. But then added it, and now they all show up again and are accessible.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I would imagine it can be done some other way....though I have not attempted to do so yet....I'm not to happy with WMP either for this very reason (buggy database). If you can find some Win7 program that provides similar function then that would be a way to achieve this. Itunes does it but only for iOS devices. WMP is really just linking into Win7 DLNA services.

jcook42

Jul 19, 2011
This is all fantastic! My question may be naive, but I have movies on the tablet memory (sdcard). Is there any way to move them directly to the external_sd on the Acer? Or is this a Honeycomb issue that I read about on another thread?
I have tried to copy and paste them, but the external_sd appears inaccessible.

Thanks!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
This is all fantastic! My question may be naive, but I have movies on the tablet memory (sdcard). Is there any way to move them directly to the external_sd on the Acer? Or is this a Honeycomb issue that I read about on another thread?
I have tried to copy and paste them, but the external_sd appears inaccessible.

Thanks!

What do you mean appears inaccessible?

Get ES file explorer free from the market.
Copy from sdcard and paste to /mnt/external_sd, all done on the tab.

jcook42

Jul 19, 2011
Sorry, I copy the movies (from the tablet memory) to try move them, but when I get to the sd card, "paste" isn't an option. when I try to read any files that should be on the card, it says the directory is empty. I've been using Astro as my file manager.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Sorry, I copy the movies (from the tablet memory) to try move them, but when I get to the sd card, "paste" isn't an option.

If source and target are the same directory it will never show you the paste option.

The part you might be missing is that sdcard refers to the build in memory
and external_sd refers to your add-in microSD card. (Stupid names, but what can I say).

Lets assume you have a Movies directory on the SD card.
the complete path will be /sdcard/Movies

Then lets assume you want another Movies directory on the External_SD card.

In ES File Explorer
Tap the symbol that looks like a microSD card. (This takes you out of /sdcard into the root of the tablet, the url bar says only a single slash. The microsd card symbol changes to a house which indicates if you tap it again you will go home).
Tap the mnt sub-directory. URL bar shows /mnt
Tap External_SD URL bar now says /mnt/external_sd
Hit the hashed window symbol in the bottom of the tablet (the menu icon)
Tap + (new)
Select Folder
Give it a Name (may want to use MoviesSD just to preserver your sanity)

Now, Tap the House (icon changes back to a microsd card)
Tap the Movies directory
Long press a movie to select it, and tap Copy (to select multiple, first hit the plus sign sitting on two documents under the word LAN, then tap each movie)
Tap the MicorSD icon again
Select /mnt
Select External_sd
Select MoviesSD (URL bar shows /mnt/external_sd/MoviesSD
Tap hashed menu at bottom
Tap operation
Tap Paste
Done.

PS: I used to use Astro, but it was so crash prone I switched to ES File Explorer. So you will have to translate from the astro to the ES.

Last edited:

HarshReality

Jun 19, 2011
I admit to a sense of irony.. You are using a windows based program to rip a video to play it on a linux based system.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Dan,

Thanks for the guide for ripping dvds for the A500. What about for videos that I already have on a USB stick? How would convert those files which are avi?

Thanks for your help

I used Xilisoft for converting medias (Audio and Video) to any format.

SexyNavy

Aug 8, 2011
To Dan776,
You know your stuff! Just last night I was trying to use DVD fab to convert a DVD to my Acer. I found some other blog sites that said to use Foxreal or DVD Fab MPG4/H264/Ipad options. I ran the MPG4 for darn near 3 hours only to find out that it wouldn't work. The video was skipping on the tablet. Then I did some more google searches today & found your instructions. It converted much faster (less than 1.5 hrs). At first, I tried playing the movie in one of the pre-installed players & got nothing. I downloaded the MoboPlayer and still wasn't getting anything. Finally, I got it to play but I wasn't getting any sound. I was almost discouraged. But all I did was restart the tablet, tried again & BAM! The movie played without skipping & the sound was crystal clear! This couldn't have come at a better time. I really needed this to work so I would have something to watch on the plane. Now with 4 movies loaded, I'm ready to go.

THANKS AGAIN DAN!!!!!!