Rockchip 7 inch Android Tablet - Apad iRobot (Moonse E7001)

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
got mine from lifengsihai , but, oddly enough, he's no longer a registered user on ebay...so much for the 2.1 upgrade...I'll be selling this when the notion Inks Adam comes out anyway...

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
hey ZilverZurfarn,

Looks like you know the Android OS pretty well. I'm an IT guy and know win, mac, and a little linux but I'm new to Android. If I get my hands on JesusFreke's ROM JFv1.51_CRB43-ADP.zip, can I just unzip it and copy the contacts.apk to a flash drive or is there more involved? Also, as far as upgrading to 2.1, do you think a generic 2.1 rom would work or will we have to get one made for these devices? Thanks for any info you might have!

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
Hey dsf767,

As far as a new version with a webcam, I have heard from several sellers that they were expecting to get those next. I just like to be sure that the seller has been around for a while and has good feedback. While the seller in your link has 100% feedback, he's only got 14 feedbacks....

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
hey ZilverZurfarn,

Found the Rom and the contacts.apk. Do I need the contacts.odex file too?

Also, have you tried getting the google voicesearch working? I found the apk and installed it but whenever I launch it I get an error message saying it had to close...

Thanks,

Dave

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
hey ZilverZurfarn,

Looks like you know the Android OS pretty well. I'm an IT guy and know win, mac, and a little linux but I'm new to Android. If I get my hands on JesusFreke's ROM JFv1.51_CRB43-ADP.zip, can I just unzip it and copy the contacts.apk to a flash drive or is there more involved? Also, as far as upgrading to 2.1, do you think a generic 2.1 rom would work or will we have to get one made for these devices? Thanks for any info you might have!
I found no Contacts.odex in that rom - Just Contacts.apk
There are 2 ways to install stuff on this tablet - Either by copying the apk to the microSD card and using the apk installer app shipped with the tablet, or use ADB (from adroid sdk) to install;
adb install c:\downloads\Contacts.apk
Unfortunately I can't get it to sync with my Google contacts - Even if there is a ContactsProvider.apk from factory. Perhaps there's some version mismatch or something.

Generic ROMs won't work, as the base stuff (everything not in .apk) like the Linux kernel has to be compiled for the correct architecture; Rockchip something in this case. Also different hardware requires different drivers, like USB host mode.
The Status Bar is also a little special with the home and back "soft" buttons that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I managed to dump the /system partition to my desktop and unpack the cramfs file system, but I'm not that good at Android to start adding/take out stuff and update /system - Haven't taken a look at the recovery mode, if there even is one.

I'm not sure, but I think VoiceSearch is an invention later than Android 1.5 so that can be why it crashes.
A good way to find out why stuff wont work is to (again) use adb - adb logcat - which shows you what's going on inside the device.

seals81

Apr 22, 2010
Hey dsf767,

As far as a new version with a webcam, I have heard from several sellers that they were expecting to get those next. I just like to be sure that the seller has been around for a while and has good feedback. While the seller in your link has 100% feedback, he's only got 14 feedbacks....

I just emailed JTshop about this updated device with a webcam. Apparently, there is no support for IM apps like MSN or SKYPE to do a video conferencing. He said he doesnt have these applications to test. So I asked him whats the point of having a webcam. He replied to take photo and video of the user. Which seems pretty useless to me a the moment.

Anyone knows of any android software that can utilise the webcam for the device? Gtalk maybe?

grahamtearne

May 20, 2010
After watching some videos on these devices I am deciding to take the plunge and just go for it.

It was either a netbook at £200ish or one of these android tablets for around £120.

Now I know the netbook will be able to do more, play flash etc, I get that. But I am travelling for a few months and this will be smaller and lighter and enable me to do most of the things I want to do (get online to check the news, football scores, update facebook, send emails etc, read an ebook) and its cheap, I dont care a much if I lose/break it etc.

The only downside I see is the battery life, about 2 hours if what i am reading is correct. Probably enough to maybe grab a tv show or two between a flight but other than that a power source will be needed!

Really is a shame about the battery but on a daily basis I will be working and it can charge then at night maybe grab a show and read an ebook for hald hour etc. I am working out in the sticks so regular wifi is a no go, when I visit the cities however it would be used primarily as an internet tablet to do light browsing, emailing etc in a hotel where I would have a power source.

If anyone with one sees my usage unacceptable for these cheap android tablets please gimme a shout.

I am looking at a few:

There is the EKEN M001: seems to be the cheapest, around $100 (so about £75! cheap as chips) looks ok as well in some videos, some lag doesnt bother me, I know what I am paying for...
Then there is the more iPad looking devices, there seems to be two versions, one claiming 1.2ghz (600mhz and 600mhz dsp whatever that is?) with a webcam and the one that most people seem to have here which is the aPad (looks the same as the 1.2ghz version, I am guessing they are REV 1 and REV 2?)

Either way on ebay most sellers are lsting the 1.2ghz version at around $160-200 depending on shipping etc.

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
hey ZilverZurfarn,

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to checkout the ADB program you mentioned. I usually just pop apk's on the SDcard and browse to them with Astro, which brings up the apk installer, but the logcat command in ADB sounds like something I'd like to try...

gurukos

May 14, 2010
Hello guys! In the end, I have big problem with my unit. As i allready said on a previous post, i accidentally broke a small piece of the touch panel somewhere in a corner. I thought that the seller would contact with me and try to help by providing a spare part or info about a supplier for such stuff, but as much as i can see till now, NO ANSWER AT ALL... The smart guy Lifengsihai is gone from ebay! He is not registered anymore and if you need some help or anything else... just pray... BTW do you people, know any info about a seller / supplier for spare parts for this tablet? I ve searched on ebay for 7" touch panels but every time i find only for the asus eeepc 701 (7") and afterl all i don't know if that panel could work with our tablets... Does anybody have a glue?
Thanks in advance - gurukos

Laharl

May 10, 2010
with all the bad feedback I have read I am definitely going to buy the Archos 7 from amazon.com (you can find the link in my previous post) for $199.00 and because amazon has the super saver shipping (free shipping) for orders over $25.00 it will cost less for it.

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
While there have been some bad reveiws on the screen, DOAs, etc, I'm pretty happy with my tablet. the typing does take some getting used to, but overall its pretty responsive going between apps, surfing web etc. and using finger nail to scroll makes it work way better, unless screen is defective.