Rockchip 7 inch Android Tablet - Apad iRobot (Moonse E7001)

ale.f76

May 26, 2010
Hi,

[FONT=&quot]I would be really interested to UPDATE ANDROID OS to 2.2. Do you guys have any idea on how to do this?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you so much.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ale[/FONT]

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Until someone builds Android 2.2 (or any other Android version) especially for the aPad/iRobot, and posts some update instructions, we're stuck with 1.5
The first to do this would likely be the manufacurer, if not some übergeek devotes some time and effort to the task (and gets the hardware specific drivers and stuff from the hardware manufacturer).
Not that that's really a bad thing - I haven't really seen that much improvement in the more recent Android versions, besides the fact that some apps (some of them quite unnecessarily) require later Android versions. Froyo / 2.2 with its substantial performace improvement would be nice tho...

ale.f76

May 26, 2010
Until someone builds Android 2.2 (or any other Android version) especially for the aPad/iRobot, and posts some update instructions, we're stuck with 1.5
The first to do this would likely be the manufacurer, if not some übergeek devotes some time and effort to the task (and gets the hardware specific drivers and stuff from the hardware manufacturer).
Not that that's really a bad thing - I haven't really seen that much improvement in the more recent Android versions, besides the fact that some apps (some of them quite unnecessarily) require later Android versions. Froyo / 2.2 with its substantial performace improvement would be nice tho...

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your reply Zilver.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I see your point and must agree on the fact that a new OS version developed directly by the manufacturer would be the best option. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there anyone who is in touch with the producer and could have information about their plans about possible updates?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there no website to contact them directly?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are consumer and I believe that this stuff is very good hardware: couldn’t we make a sort of “coalition”?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think it could be useful to them too, as we could let them know our impressions and advices for possible improvements.. etc.[/FONT]

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
[FONT=&quot]We are consumer and I believe that this stuff is very good hardware: couldn’t we make a sort of “coalition”?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think it could be useful to them too, as we could let them know our impressions and advices for possible improvements.. etc.[/FONT]

A dedicated user base would be good for the manufacturer, yes - see what xda-developers.com does for HTC. Problem (my) is, I'm not at all familiar with compiling Linux systems. Ideally, someone like Cyanogen (a famous ROM cook for HTCs Android phones) buys an aPad and starts tinkering with it. Another problem is: Who manufactures them? Moonse is mentioned, "Orphan" another possible candidate. Perhaps many different manufacturers churning out basically the same hardware? When you look at the OS version info, it says something about Rockchip - the cpu chip manufacturer. Perhps it's them who also provide the OS for the tablet manufacturers?
Too disappointed with the touchscreen, I just sold my aPad - at least not losing any money on it. I'll probably go for Archos 7 or 8 Home tablet next. At least it's a known manufacturer...

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
OK, Archos just arrived. (aPad arrived Monday)The Archos' presentation is a tad better than the aPad, as the UI seems a little more polished than the chinese rival. The Aarchos is absent the randonm unreadable chinese characters that I frequently find in the aPad.

The 44gram weight difference is apparent whn holding them both in hand. The Archos is heaver, and seems more solidly built, lass prone to scratches since it's case is black unpainted plastic, unlike the Apad. I rather the wake up/sleep button on the aPad. It's handier and seems to actually put the devise to sleep. The Archos just turns the screen off via the on/off toggle on the top- not very user friendly.

Video playback seems about the same, a little jumpy on both units, depending on the bit rate of the video (more testing needed) BUT the dual stereo speakers on the Archos are MUCH better than the single mono speaker on the rear of the aPad, hands down.

No accelerometer or camera on the Archos as you already know. I already kinda miss the auto orientation feature of the aPad. It's not lightening fast like an iPad, but works. Sometimes reading is much less tiresome on the hands in portrait mode.

The Archos is sleeker looking. I wouldn't be embarrassed whipping it out in front of the iPadders, but the aPad looks kinda chinky in comparison.

So far, in my quick comparison, the Archos is a better media viewer with better speakers and a handy kickstand Whereas the aPad might do a little better for web browsing with it's auto orientation.

Battery and other comparisons to come.

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
My aPad died. I charged fully last night. Turned it on this morning, visited a few sites on Skyfire. Then the unit started to become unresponsive and shut off. I turned it back on. Same thing, unresponsive, then shut off. Now, it will not power on at all. I contacted the seller for a RMA to return the unit for refund. They advised that they will email me back with the procedure once they contact the mfg. This sucks.

Looks like the Archos wins...

FIJIBanks

May 25, 2010
So I have had my tablet since Tuesday, and I love it. Not quite as responsive as my iPod Touch, but it's NOT Apple and that makes it better, right?

Anyway, with the exception of having the miscellaneous Chinese characters still present, I must say that this little tablet is very nice and speedy! I have been walking around campus (I work for a small, private, liberal arts college) and garnering a lot of interest in this little pad. Might be ordering some more to resell here.

BTW, I got mine from merimobiles and I was quite pleased with their work.

Josh

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
FIJI Banks,

Does yours have the webcam? How long did it take to get it after you paid?

Thanks,
Dave

imaredr

May 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum since I have just got my tablet. I am glad to see that most of you have not had any major problems. I really like mine, but so far I can't get any of my micro sdhc cards to work. I was wondering what cards are you using. Since the device has little storage a memory is a must. I bought mine from Jiontang and have written them to see what can be done. I would really hate to have to spend the $$ to send it back. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
I was able to get my apad working again by plugging and unplugging the power cord several times. I hope it continues to work. I really like it.

Mike

May 28, 2010
Mine arrived this morning, My winning bid on e-bay was $157.50 ($2.50 under my max bid). There's so much to it, both good and bad, that I don't know where to start. Well the first thing is this is the out of the box appearance. It's plastic, everywhere plastic, including the screen. maybe there is glass below the plastic somewhere, but the top coat is plastic. Mine arrived with a slight flaw in the corner giving the plastic the slightest wave. The bottom plastic is metallic gray (silver), which is a poor design choice, it makes it look cheap, like they were trying to make it look like metal, as opposed to using white or black like the old plastic cased ipods. This had a different type touch screen than ipad or ipod touch, for one thing they are glass, this has a screen more like the old PDAs of past. I HIGHLY recommend using a stylus, one it works much better than finger touch, I found I had to press down to get the screen to respond, but it was quite effortless with the stylus. Also, I have never seen a screen so clouded my finger prints, I have heard of devices being "finger print magnets" but this takes the cake, after five minutes of use, I had to grab some lcd screen wipes. I wouldn't recommend anything else ( such as windex, nail polish remover [lol - just kidding]) to clean the screen. I first tried one of those microfiber cloths, but it just smeared the finger prints around. Save yourself the trouble and get a stylus, then the only time you'll have to touch the screen is when you want to use the multi-touch feature. I bought this mainly to entertain myself when I'm on the train, and being the train has no wifi, mostly movies. I am disappointed to report that so far it is spotty at that. I tried two avi files and it had trouble with the audio sync on both. I tried a mkv (720p) and it wouldn't even try to play that (advertising says it does0 and the last format I tried was mp4, which, the box says nothing about being able to play, well it played the best, flawlessly. Too bad I only have a few mp4 files as my WD HD TV player hates mp4s (audio sync issues). Anyway. The screen is crisp, bright, and the colors are vivid. At first I thought the USB connections were broken, because when I would connect a thumb drive or a external hard drive they would light up, but the device would not acknowledge that they were there, however when I connect it to my PC via the USB it connects fine. The 8gb micro SD card worked fine, and was how I got the videos and mp3s on the 'apad' ( the mp3s sound very good, by the way, but the album art did not show up. Perhaps there is a setting I overlooked). All the apps I downloaded via the marketplace application worked as expected. I had read on another forum that there would be concern that apps would not work, being newer android phones are now on android 2.1 or higher. I don't think this is the case as older linux programs still work on newer linux cores ( most of the time anyway). Despite changing all the settings I could find to English, there is still A LOT of Chinese still in the device(+20%, I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but trust me when you can't understand 1/5th of what is there, it's a lot.) I'm hoping that when there is a firmware upgrade, I can get it in an all English format. I think the mic on mine isn't working, when I recorded a test video (Oh yeah it has a 1.3 MP camera) there was no sound when i played it back. The speaker is very poor, so you'll need to keep a pair of headphones with you. I'm hoping that the jack is the kind that works a headphone/mic combo (like for cell phones). I don't think it has bluetooth, but that would have been really cool, esp. stereo bluetooth. The camera is on the screen side so you can use it when your talking via video skype. OK that's enough nuts and bolts, here's my conclusion. This IS NOT an iPad killer, it IS a poor mans (nerds) iPad.. The build quality will probably last 18 months under normal use. This is not something you would give to your grandmother, but it will definitely give you some geek street cred.

Mike

May 28, 2010
If it were possible, I would love too. But I'm not a code monkey, so if there isn't a GUI or step by step instructions (preferably, with screen shots), I'm useless. I found a copy of 2.1 online, but have no clue how to flash it to the device. And, I would have to be assured that I could flash the old rom back to the device (once someone tells me how to make an image of the old rom) if 2.1 didn't work. From what I have read on other forums, this is a custom version of 1.5.x that someone altered to work on this device. That is why there is so much Chinese embedded throughout the software. So we'll have to wait till some 15 year old code wizard reworks the rom to work on this device. The problem with that is that most "15 year old code wizards" would love to share with you that they did it, but would have no interest in showing you how to do it. Now excuse me while I go chase some kids off my lawn.:p

This does bring up a good question. Does anyone know How I might make a back-up of my iRobot (aka apad, aka Moonse E-7001), just encase something gets corrupted?

Mike

May 28, 2010
WARNING!
I just got burned in my Irobot, aka: Apad, aka: Moonse purchase. The Seller stated that it was a 1.2GHz processor (CPU600MHz+DSP600MHZ). I have run two separate test ('CPU Benchmark' and 'Quick system Info PRO' both are free in the Android Market) and found that it only has a ARM926EJ-S rev-5 (v5l) running at 299.00MHz! (I thought it seemed sluggish). DroidBench tells me I am running at 76.296 Mflops/s, I have NO IDEA what this means, if anyone can tell me if this in any way confirms or disputes what the other two MHz benchmarks give me, PLEASE let me know. I contacted the E-bay seller in China about this, but am not very hopeful, about a joyful conclusion. Lastly, just as a reference ARM926EJ-S rev-5 (v5l) is what is used in the Tom Tom One XL GPS. Excuse me while I go kick the couch and cry.

davemon

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah they're not bad...It would be good if the youtube app let you change video size like built in vid player does...

Just found a trick to make video play bigger in you tube. When video comes up press the home button then at home screen press and hold home button and choose you tube from pop up menu and video will be big!!