[ROM][5.1.1] AOSP-5.1.1 / CM-12.1 for Lenovo a2109 (20160901)

jeremy6652

May 9, 2015
I don't think there is a way.

Also I don't know if it's just my tablet again but everytime i charge my tablet and it's powered on, it only charges to 98% and then the percentage doesn't rise anymore but the charging icon stays...

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
Also I don't know if it's just my tablet again but everytime i charge my tablet and it's powered on, it only charges to 98% and then the percentage doesn't rise anymore but the charging icon stays...

Your battery is going out, I supposed also that it will not hold a charge as before or it goes down very fast.

You could buy a battery on ebay for a few bucks. It is very easy to change.

jeremy6652

May 9, 2015
Well, I get around 13 days with screen turned off. And around 2 days when using it normal. But yeah, thats less than when I bought it.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
Well, I get around 13 days with screen turned off. And around 2 days when using it normal. But yeah, thats less than when I bought it.

It is still a good battery life. I found it strange that it will not charge at 100%.

I have two A2109, one with the CM12.1 and the other with AOSP and both will charge to 100%... I supposed that it is the battery that is doing this. I am a computer repair technician and usually that kind of problem come from the battery.

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
Ok here a recipe to do the job right on a Windows system:

1- Download Letools from Lenovo: LeTools Download
2- You have to root your tablet. Instructions here:
Development: A2109 Root - Page 2 - Lenovo Community
** Look for the post of mcl630 in the middle of the page. **
3- Then you have to install CWMrecovery. Instructions here:
A2109 - Clockworkmod Recovery and Root - Lenovo Community
I suggest that you install the CWMrecovery posted by @PJBrs here cwm-6.0.5.1-20160214-UNOFFICIAL-kai.img
4- Copy the ROM you want to install and the gapps to your SDcard
5- Reboot to recovery (when tablet is off, push the sounds up button while opening the tablet)
6- Install the ROM in recovery.
7- Just after the ROM is install, do not reboot and install in recovery the gapps you had downloaded from here:
The Open GApps Project

First boot is very long so by patient,

Your done

Hi Again.
back off my holiday. I have managed to unlock the lenovo. However the superuser 3.1.3 arm .zip link is not working. I tried installing other superuser from play but none work (reading, this is because the file in the down link is lenovo signed?)
if i do get this file the instruction says

If you need to root:
Select "install zip from sdcard"
Then "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from external sdcard" (depending on where you put the Superuser zip)
Now navigate to your Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip and select it
Choose 'Yes Install Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip"

is this during the CW mod install, or before as a separate thing?
do you have to root?

any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
Hi Again.
back off my holiday. I have managed to unlock the lenovo. However the superuser 3.1.3 arm .zip link is not working. I tried installing other superuser from play but none work (reading, this is because the file in the down link is lenovo signed?)

If you need to root:
Select "install zip from sdcard"
Then "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from external sdcard" (depending on where you put the Superuser zip)
Now navigate to your Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip and select it
Choose 'Yes Install Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip"

is this during the CW mod install, or before as a separate thing?
do you have to root?

any help greatly appreciated.

Right, a little bit of progress.
I can flash CW mod recovery and reboot, bringing up CWM options.

I am again confused.
Is CWM the means to install an updated image, or does it include the image itself?
Also I have put gapps on my external SD as one of the options is to install a zip from sd, but when to do it?

Could one of you kind soles help this dummy?
Once I flash CWM recovery, and reboot to it's recovery menu, can someone breakdown the steps, as i fear i am close to bricking it. (with all the no going back warnings)

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
After much reading, and re reading I finally had a go and currently have it up and running.
If I understand right.

1)copy the ROM zip and gapps zip to external SD
2)unlock the boot loader using leTools
3)install/flash CWM as joebine nicely supplied the links etc.
4)boot to CWM recovery and back up. (CWM is the means to install the ROM)
5)install ROM zip, then install gapps from ext sd
6)reboot, and wait an eternity for the boot and updates.

I am probably wrong but root is not required (i was able to install BBC iplayer which i think won't work on rooted device?)
The only problem i have is cast caused a reboot ( but i think i read that somewhere months ago)

Anyway,
big thanks to all. Is there a paypal link for donating?

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
I spoke too soon. All 4 app says tablet is rooted, but all all apps for hiding root say it is not rooted

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
[SNIP]

Anyway,
big thanks to all. Is there a paypal link for donating?

Here is some info about how to donate. Outdated though, I'm not collecting funds for replacing bricked boards any more, thankfully!!

I spoke too soon. All 4 app says tablet is rooted, but all all apps for hiding root say it is not rooted

Are you using AOSP or cm? In the latter case, I think you need to enable developer options (go to Settings, then About the tablet, and then tap the build number 7 times to activate developer settings, IIRC), and then under Settings -> Developer options you can activate root access for apps and adb. An easy way to check root is to install Terminal and then do "su".

NOTE! CWM may offer you to fix su on exit. Don't let it do this, because it doesn't work on lollipop. If you did, I think you need to reinstall.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Small update - Kernel development is going not too badly. But expect at least 4 weeks for a new cm-12.1 version. Marshmallow will take longer, but should be possible.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
Hi Again.

Sorry for the link that IBM remove from their site. So this is the link to get it:
Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

The ROMs are not included with CWM but it is available on the first page of this thread for Android Lollipop and on this thread for Android KitKat:
[ROM][4.4.4] Cyanogenmod-11 for Lenovo A2109 (20160510)

The most stable ROM for now is the Kitkat ROM.

Last edited:

scissors99

Jun 25, 2016
Thanks.
I downloaded the zip for future. The only app complaining is all4 from channel 4. I can live without it.
For now i am happy, i have android 5.1.1. and can now use kodi 16 as well as several other apps, and all the crapware is gone.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks.
I downloaded the zip for future. The only app complaining is all4 from channel 4. I can live without it.
For now i am happy, i have android 5.1.1. and can now use kodi 16 as well as several other apps, and all the crapware is gone.
Good to hear!

What's the problem with "all 4 channel 4"? Can you perhaps get logcat?