[ROM] AOSP/CM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for a2109

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Okay, I'm running out of time while I'm finding out that I should have prepared better for uploading my rom. So. To keep my promises, I have put up an ota image over here (expect slow download). Installing this will fail with a failed assert. However, you can solve this with the solution over here. I'm trying to make a compatible recovery in the meantime.

EDIT: I've also put up a system.img and boot.img file, which you can flash with fastboot, like this:

$ fastboot -i 0x17ef flash system system.img
$ fastboot -i 0x17ef flash boot boot.img

In sum, please test if you can! Warning: I haven't tested the ota package myself! You have to manually change it a bit to use it. I'll improve later.

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
So, still more progress :) HDMI-out is working as well as WiFi-Direct (couldn't test the latter, but no more errors and the settings menu appears to work)! I've updated boot.img and system.img. As far as I know, this leaves only one bug, which is that panorama pictures do not work. I think this is related to using proprietary libjpeg and libskia. With regard to browsing the device via bluetooth, I'm starting to wonder whether that's even supported in aosp.

I still haven't compiled a recovery image. If anyone would be able to build cwm using my device tree, please let me know! In the meantime I'll try to add TWRP to my AOSP tree to see what'll happen.

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
So, still more progress :)
Hi PJBrs
The AOSP ROM works fine, at first usage, on my Medion Lifetab MD 99300 (S9714) aka Lenovo A2110 tablet. Huge Congratulations!
In order to benefit from a Google account, I added gapps-jb-20121011 and after Play Store updates the system runs fine. I also rooted ROM.
I need to test a few things but for now I look forward to more achievements from you. Say, KitKat or Lollipop ;-)
PS: mobile data does not work (it is 2110 specific)

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Hey Tasinofan, thanks very much for testing! Were you perhaps able to verify USB-OTG? Also I didn't test PTP and MTP USB connections, so if you could test those I'd very much appreciate it.

Regarding mobile data... I could try to do something about that. A good starting point would be if you could upload your stock kernel, kernel modules, all init*.rc files and the file /proc/config.gz.

I succeeded in building TWRP, but it doesn't boot. So, if anybody could build clockworkmod with my device tree I'd still very much appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll do one more try of adding libjpeg-turbo to see whether that fixes panorama camera mode, and after that I'll switch to 4.2.2.​

Last edited:

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Hey Tasinofan, thanks very much for testing! Were you perhaps able to verify USB-OTG? Also I didn't test PTP and MTP USB connections, so if you could test those I'd very much appreciate it.

Regarding mobile data... I could try to do something about that. A good starting point would be if you could upload your stock kernel, kernel modules, all init*.rc files and the file /proc/config.gz.

I succeeded in building TWRP, but it doesn't boot. So, if anybody could build clockworkmod with my device tree I'd still very much appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll do one more try of adding libjpeg-turbo to see whether that fixes panorama camera mode, and after that I'll switch to 4.2.2.​
USB-OTG works with vfat (not with ext4). I guess same is true for
external SD card. Of course one can manually mount anything from CLI.

Medion Lifetab stock had remarquable feature to automount USB-OTG ext4
and external SD card ext4.

As for PTP and MTP. I connected to Linux and Windows, but none see the
device. Note that from CWM recovery, Linux does see the tablet, both
with 'lsusb' and 'adb'. On your ROM I have USB debugging
enabled. Perhaps I need to configure something else? Do you see the
tablet with 'lsusb'?

I use own compiled kernel and modules (source provided by Medion
(S9714-JB_OTA_GPL_Source_316). It works fine.

I tried to attach S9714-JB_OTA_GPL_Source_316.config.gz kernel config and
rc-files.tar.gz (both stock and aosp rc files). Seems [UPLOAD A FILE] does not work.
You can PM your email address (so I can email it). Or suggest any other way to get the files.

Some other remarks.

(1) external SD card permissions:

# ls -ald /storage/sdcard1
d---rwxr-x 11 1000 1023 32768 Jan 1 1970 /storage/sdcard1

(vold mounted with uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702)

chmod and chown does not have effect

so, for example, Titaniumbackup cannot use external SD card directory.
Not sure if this limitation is AOSP specific. Perhaps one can configure
'vold' to allow less tight permissions.

(2) auto brightness

If I choose auto brightness, screen becomes black (even after reboot).
After some time (perhaps because of random touching black screen),
screen becomes bright. For now I do not use auto brightness anymore.

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Hey Tasinofan thanks for testing! Very nice to hear that USB-OTG is somewhat working.

Regarding autobrightness... It does seem to work, but not very well. I personally am using it, but I guess something is wrong in one of the overlay files.

Regarding automount and permissions--I would also very much like to have a look at your fstab files (fstab.kai, vold.fstab, recovery.fstab). Automounting ext4 and making it available to any user would be quite hard, since if I'm correct it can only work with read-write permissions for others (666 for files, 777 for folders) or you're running into file ownership issues. To do it safely can perhaps be done with fuse? I don't know...

I'm currently trying to compile 4.1.2 again with libjpeg-turbo. After that I'll look at fstab.

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Automounting ext4 and making it available to any user would be quite hard, since if I'm correct it can only work with read-write permissions for others (666 for files, 777 for folders) or you're running into file ownership issues. To do it safely can perhaps be done with fuse? I don't know...
You are right in that automounting ext4 is not supposed to work (but I am not sure why). But somehow it worked on my stock Medion Lifetab. Not all that important, of course.
As of permissions: what are the permissions and user/group IDs for you on an external SD?
And does 'lsusb' show anything for your device when USB connected to Linux?
I emailed some requested files.
Good luck!

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Short answer regarding USB. I need to turn off adb and developer options in order for the device to be used as MTP device, but after that I succeed in copying files to it.

I got your files but nothing immediately jumped out... Also, I noticed that 4.3 and higher don't have vold anymore, so perhaps that will bring new opportunities (and problems of course ;)).

I also tried external-sd. Device mounts fine, same permissions you listed (uid=1000, gid=1023 ; that's group sdcard-rw; fmask 0702, dmask 0702). So, I guess that write access to external sd is limited by design. I wonder though which apps are member of group sdcard-rw. I couldn't write to sd with FX.

Last edited:

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Short answer regarding USB. I need to turn off adb and developer options in order for the device to be used as MTP device, but after that I succeed in copying files to it.

I got your files but nothing immediately jumped out... Also, I noticed that 4.3 and higher don't have vold anymore, so perhaps that will bring new opportunities (and problems of course ;)).

I also tried external-sd. Device mounts fine, same permissions you listed (uid=1000, gid=1023 ; that's group sdcard-rw; fmask 0702, dmask 0702). So, I guess that write access to external sd is limited by design. I wonder though which apps are member of group sdcard-rw. I couldn't write to sd with FX.

Thanks for the update! So things look good. As you say, KitKat and, who knows, Lollipop, will certainly differ,...

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Just a short update. I've switched to 4.2.2. I tried fixing the camera with libjpeg-turbo. Funny thing--it fixed panorama picture mode but it broke taking normal pictures (smth like SkImageDecoder:: Factory Returned Null). Didn't know what to do about this, bit since all the rest was working, and since nobody seemed to be waiting for 4.1.2, I decided to move on. The code is still there though.

Regarding 4.2.2 -- It boots, and that's all there's to be said about it right now. Camera doesn't load, bluetooth can't activate, audio HAL doesn't load. So I'm currently hunting patches in the aospplus and cyanogenmod repo's. One alternative to the audio problem would be to use an open source HAL, such as the one in the grouper device tree. But it needs a specific mixer_paths.xml file to load, and making one seems beyond me. At least wifi seems to work o_O

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Update -- audio now working. Next step is camera, and then bluetooth. Should not be very easy, actually, so expect it to take some time. I don't know what the rest of the device is doing, but I did spend some time watching youtube videos of Ok GO :)

Funny thing though, I was able to use mainly grouper libs this time. Also note that the build instructions are out-of-date now. I'm currently using branch JellyBean-4.2.2 in my repo, and grouper libs for 4.2.2 as well.

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Update -- audio now working. Next step is camera, and then bluetooth. Should not be very easy, actually, so expect it to take some time. I don't know what the rest of the device is doing, but I did spend some time watching youtube videos of Ok GO :)

Funny thing though, I was able to use mainly grouper libs this time. Also note that the build instructions are out-of-date now. I'm currently using branch JellyBean-4.2.2 in my repo, and grouper libs for 4.2.2 as well.
Good luck and much inspiration!

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Small update on 4.2.2. Still no luck with camera. I identified a bug in one of my scripts, so perhaps that's what causes the camera not to load (incorrect PRODUCT_PACKAGES definition in the nvidia vendor tree due to setup-makefiles.sh mistake may have caused insufficient / wrong vendor libs to be added to the build). There's also massive battery drain, which might be related to wifi and location services.

Bluetooth does seem to work however as well as microphone. As soon as I have the camera working, I'm moving on to 4.3.