[ROM] AOSP/CM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for a2109

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
are
md5sum 49f7d725e5a3f815fefdcc445ca4fdca
and
size 217899876
correct for J B-4.2.2-02142015-system.img?

partyhead

Feb 14, 2015
so , for JB-4.2.2-02142015-system
Not working
1. GPS ( gps test show that GPS not working)
2. Camera (try 4 different programs)

Working
wifi , Bluetooth audio , auto rotate .auto brightens ( working but strange ), microphone,
Spakers -is it possible to make them more loud ?

PLEASE Integrate root , can explain how if you dont know.(KingUser.apk in app, su to bin , so and busybox to xbin)
PLEASe integrate 14 mega bait xtra small gapps , link i post before

suggest remove chinize keybords, video editor (live walpeper - black hole , buubles , etc..walpapers.
replace stock camera with GoogleCamera2.0.0.2.apk and quickPic

reboot options

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
These are the md5sums:
0c5406027c59f936bef9724bf0f86fe2 JB-4.2.2-02142015-boot.img
49f7d725e5a3f815fefdcc445ca4fdca JB-4.2.2-02142015-system.img

so , for JB-4.2.2-02142015-system
Not working
1. GPS ( gps test show that GPS not working)
2. Camera (try 4 different programs)

Ok, bit disappointed about GPS. What is GPS test? Regarding camera, I think only the HAL loads, and for the rest, nothing. I'm pretty much at a dead end there. I might try cyanogenmod after all, since that's how superhansi made it work.

Working
wifi , Bluetooth audio , auto rotate .auto brightens ( working but strange ), microphone,
Spakers -is it possible to make them more loud ?

Bluetooth audio! Well, that's a nice surprise :) I did some further testing--bluetooth receive files doesn't work, wifip2p can be found but not connected, so is useless as well. I believe these are either kernel problems or problems with aosp itself.

PLEASE Integrate root , can explain how if you dont know.(KingUser.apk in app, su to bin , so and busybox to xbin)

Integrating root... I would prefer Koush superuser? As far as I understand that's only a matter of adding two repo's to local_manifest.xml?

PLEASe integrate 14 mega bait xtra small gapps , link i post before

suggest remove chinize keybords, video editor (live walpeper - black hole , buubles , etc..walpapers.
replace stock camera with GoogleCamera2.0.0.2.apk and quickPic

reboot options

Well, for now I'd like to keep rather close to stock. I think that everyone will have their specific wishes, and that's mine ;) Also, the more I change, the more I need to take care when we go for another version. By the way, what is extra small gapps? I can't include that anyway, needs to be flashed separately?

One last question, what is antutu? I think a type of benchmark?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR TESTING, MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Hi PJBrs, you are a true hero: 02132015 ROM and kernel run fine. I
did not loose any data.

One comment: my screen started black (perhaps because of 'auto'
brightness settings). To fix this, in adb, I had to things like

settings put system screen_brightness 128
and
echo 128 > /sys/devices/platform/pwm-backlight/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness

Another thing I notice: GPS is not present (says GPS Status app). Also. Maps
does not go to where I am when I ask it.

(and indeed Camera does not work)

Still: congratulations !

partyhead

Feb 14, 2015
2PGjbrs
gps test - programm , show connections to satellites , and signal stranght
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en
dont know why , but on all firmwares our tablet get good connection with GLONAS satellites. but normal satellites dont catch. or very weak signal and just few of them

Yes i recomeded you to take a look to cyanogen mod. most favorit my firmware . hope yours will be better.
you can get libs from there. as i told also 4.2.2 . but dont now how to migrate to KK later

Root -- does not matter what kind . which more easy for you

About gapps . - yes. usually they are bit . around 100 megs and useless programs like hangouts , gmail , maps.
but there is tiny gapps .. i sent you link before. just minimum libs there and market. 15 megs.
do as more continent for you :) no prob to install gapps after flashing your rom
Gapps - needed for google services like market , gmail, maps ..
extra small gaps - just minimum , for login , google account

AnTuTu Benchmark - yes. most important program to test deviece speed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.ABenchMark&hl=en
why important- on same device with different firmwares and kernels - could be speed difference up to 20 %
by the way before score was 13000 . so with you firmware results are VERY GOOD.
but its we did not test yet battery usage . hope cores dont work all the time
here is overlooked kernel, but i think you dont need it , you firmware really fast http://d-h.st/2uO
as i know our cores work on 1300 mhz.. but this guy told that overloced kernel to 1500. dont know is it true or not. i dont know linux , and how all this works.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Finally compiled CM-10.1. Camera HAL loads without issue and I don't know why. Audio doesn't work and I do know why. Don't know about GPS. So. We're switching to CM for now.

The bad news, it will definitely be slower than "vanilla" AOSP and I really hope to be able to get back to AOSP later, but I just don't know what patches Cyanogenmod has that make the camera HAL load (still Gallery force close, but I think that's fixable; we'll probably lose panorama mode again, like in AOSP-4.1.2, but whatever).

So CM is just much easier to compile than AOSP, because it adds back in all those patches that enable compatibility with older vendor blobs. For AOSP, you just have to go hunting for patches (or be a real dev and write code; I'm just a builder). That was doable for audio, but apparently not for camera.

Here you can find some items om my to-do list. The further down the list, the lower the priority for me. But if you find something you'd like to contribute to I'd really like to hear it! I want to get to KitKat, preferably even Lollipop just as much as you do, but we need to take small steps so that we know where the bugs start creeping in. Testing helps a lot, adding code helps even more, and the more we can make this into a group effort the better it will get.

Most points on the long-term list, I estimate, take me about 8 to 40 hours. (A lot of time spent waiting for compilation).

To do for CM 10.1:
  • Redo kernel patch for bluedroid (I found out that I actually failed)
  • Test wifi p2p
  • Test GPS
  • Test writing to SDCard
  • Recompile with patched tinyalsa
  • Recompile with libjpeg-turbo, add vendor blob for libjpeg
Long-term:
  • Add LTO package from tf700t
  • Add selinux, either from kahlo007 or from tf700t or from grouper
  • Try to add 3g, based on difference between grouper and tilapia aosp repo's
Wish list:
  • Find out how to use grouper camera and gps vendor blobs to be able to compile AOSP -or-
  • Find out which patches to use for camera and gps to use A2109 blobs on AOSP -or-
  • Use thoemy's camera wrapper to enable camera on AOSP
  • Use the grouper open source code for the audio HAL on our tablet

I'll update over the coming 1.5 weeks. I'll add changes to a new cm-10.1 branch in my device repo on Github. Good thing with the CM source is that I now also have my self-compiled CWM image, which makes further development and installing updates all the more easy.

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Main result: I loathe the camera with a passion. No chances of working on GPS or bluetooth yet.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Let me qualify my previous post, also as a way to document my lack of progress.

The biggest advantage of cyanogenmod over aosp is that the camera hal successfully loads, that is, it can connect to the cameras. The problem is that our camera hal (camera.tegra.so) is linked to a version of libjpeg.so with proprietary additions. This is superhansi's analysis and you can read about it over here. If I add in libjpeg.so from stock, I get skia errors. Superhansi's solution, apparently, involved using libjpeg-turbo during compilation (see instructions over here) and then adding in stock libjpeg.so. And then the camera should work. If I do so, I note that camera preview works and I can take pictures without problem. However, they never end up in the gallery and in the logs I get:

decoder->decode returned false

Now, superhansi also speaks of a patch to libskia, but I don't know what patch, and that basically means I'm stuck with the camera. Perhaps someone could try to contact superhansi? Or point him to this thread?

I can still see a few ways forward with the camera, but they're all very difficult. The first, of course, would be to further isolate the skia error and just solve it by finding the right patch. For that we need to compare camera logs (logcat) with working and non-working roms, perhaps best to compare my rom with superhansi's cm-10.1.

A second way would be to find the right patches for both libjpeg and skia from the associated repos from Nvidia. One would expect those patches to be part of nvidia's tegra repos. I have tried a bit, cherry-picking some neon-optimisations from nvidia's repos, but I ended up having compile errors that I didn't understand (remember, I cannot really code), so I gave up that direction. (Alternatively, one could try just using Nvidia's jpeg and skia repos; haven't tried that either.)

A third way would be to try to use the grouper camera hal with a limited a stock libs (especially libnvodm_imager.so, which is the only lib that explicitly appears to reference our cameras, as evidenced by running strings on it). I tried this a few times and it doesn't appear to work. I did look at the kernel source a bit and I saw that grouper sources have slightly different camera files in the drivers/media/video/tegra directory. Perhaps patching them into the lenovo sources might get the grouper camera hal running. If that would be so, then we're actually in very good shape, since the grouper camera hal is updated as part of the nexus proprietary libs thing for each android version. I haven't tried this, I don't even know whether this is in the right direction. I would first like to ask over at xda.

With regard to bluetooth; I think I did a better job patching the kernel this time, but I can't seem to send files now. Receiving files work. GPS--nothing seems to work, and Google maps actually immediately reboots the device.

All in all, 4.2.2 is turning out to be very frustrating so far. I think I'd best give up on the camera for now, go back to aosp, and try to fix bluetooth and gps. (As long as the hal loads, at least a fix should be possible, and perhaps upstream changes are more amenable to our proprietary libjpeg-from-hell.so.)

Results:

Clockworkmod-6.0.3.7
cm-10.1 update package
md5sum: 48b9fc47af3af069c8ba5f078016b42b

Last edited:

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
All in all, 4.2.2 is turning out to be very frustrating so far. I think I'd best give up on the camera for now, go back to aosp, and try to fix bluetooth and gps.
Going forward with AOSP (not caring about camera) seems a good idea to me. Personally I actually hardly ever used that camera.

partyhead

Feb 14, 2015
I need camera only for skype.
gps sometimes as navigator

sorry . i dont have knowledge about libraries.cant help

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Guys, GPS and camera are going to take ages. However, today I managed to get gps running on 4.2.2 for the first time! Not standard on boot, but I have hopes that I can fix the init script so that it will also work on boot. Perhaps next weekend I'll post an update.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Updated images for Android 4.2.2, with working GPS. Not working: Receiving files over bluetooth, camera.

boot.img (md5sum: aa042cb74b878b7c3f9e5c194b018f87)
system.img (md5sum: f12a1c990345fb0b8d8a7bfb49b59016)

By the way, GPS now seems in better shape than ever :) I dropped a silly binary called gps_util (did little more than create a few directories) and added the gps HAL (that's /system/lib/hw/gps.tegra.so) from asus tf700.

I hope hope hope so much that we might also use the tf700 camera HAL to fix the camera. Probably not, but who knows...

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Updated images for Android 4.2.2, with working GPS. Not working: Receiving files over bluetooth, camera.

boot.img (md5sum: aa042cb74b878b7c3f9e5c194b018f87)
system.img (md5sum: f12a1c990345fb0b8d8a7bfb49b59016)

By the way, GPS now seems in better shape than ever :) I dropped a silly binary called gps_util (did little more than create a few directories) and added the gps HAL (that's /system/lib/hw/gps.tegra.so) from asus tf700.

I hope hope hope so much that we might also use the tf700 camera HAL to fix the camera. Probably not, but who knows...

The ROM runs fine on my a2110. I did factory reset and I am restoring from Titaniumbackup and will let you know if anything major is wrong.

Upto 4.4.4 I would say ;-)