[ROM] AOSP/CM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for a2109

DBlake

Nov 29, 2013
I just flashed 4.2.2 AOSP. It's a lot faster and a lot better than stock.

EDIT: I can install VirtualBox with Ubuntu to help with compiling, if you'd like. I have 6GB RAM and 2.35GHz quadcore processor on the host.

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Here's for some quite good news! I found the fix to prevent CM-10.1 from crashing on Google Maps, and I used frameworks/native from Cyanogenmod to load the camera hal in AOSP. So both are now on the same level of completeness, that is, complete as far as I know, except that you cannot take regular pictures with the camera. However, video recording works, panorama pictures works as well. (With stock jpeg taking pictures does work, but then the rest of the rom loses support for jpeg pictures, that is, you can't see them.)

Here's the roms. AOSP:
JB-4.2.2-03302015-boot.img
(md5sum: aa042cb74b878b7c3f9e5c194b018f87)
JB-4.2.2-03302015-system.img
(md5sum: 9ee126f73b689b384135320ec6941df4)

CM-10.1:
cm-10.1-20150331-UNOFFICIAL-kai.zip
(md5sum: 19dad17212a26ccb63f57dfc5b8918a1)

As for the way forward--I still see two options for making the camera work. The first--find patches that make skia work with stock jpeg, or find sources for both skia and jpeg that make the camera work. The second--use a camera hal from a different rom (either tf700, from which I also took the gps hal) or grouper (nexus 7). Part of this might be that the kernel interface for the camera needs changing as well. Especially the second option can be worked on without sources, so if anyone wants to have a go at this, please let me know (I will be offline during Easter though). I think that I myself will go for 4.3 now.

Finally, DBlake, thanks very much for your offer! I just bought an Ivy Bridge Core i5 myself, so compiling is a bit less of a hassle. But perhaps I can take you up on your offer in the future? I foresee some git bisecting coming up :)

Last edited:

DBlake

Nov 29, 2013
Awesome! We finally have a CURRENT CM10.1 build with minimal hacks.

Also, about the camera, I remember something about some hexxed libs from some different ROMs put together to get it all to work. Let me see if I can find what I mean.

EDIT: "i'm currently working on a patchset for framework/av so we don't need all the proprietary libs as they eat up some advantages 4.2.2 brought with, it'll be on git once done" but that never happened. So, the problem lies in framework/av then.

Last edited:

partyhead

Feb 14, 2015
congrats ! camera not important at all . anyway its bad quality. video for skaype important.
so will wait for 4.4 with ART or lolipop
good luck and thank you

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Hi PJBrs
I could upgrade from 03222015 to 03302015 AOSP without any issue. All data preserved. The camera works.
Congratulations with your achievements.
I think a lot of Medion Lifetab MD 99300 (S9714) aka Lenovo A2110 machines were sold in Europe. Their owners should read this and enjoy your work.
Success with 4.4

Last edited:

ali banu

Aug 25, 2014
.Congratulations ,Got no problem with cm 10.1 ! Its running very good , thanks for that !!! but can not install aosp no mater what i am doing, always show me error.....can you provide some instructions ?

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
.Congratulations ,Got no problem with cm 10.1 ! Its running very good , thanks for that !!! but can not install aosp no mater what i am doing, always show me error.....can you provide some instructions ?
... not sure how it is meant to be done, but here is how I do it on
a2110 (note that partitions my be different for a2109, also, procedure
perhaps not for the faint of heart):

- convert system img to ext4 (not sure if needed):
% simg2img system.img system.ext4

- somehow copy system.ext4 and boot.img to phone SD card
(I use scp on phone)

- boot phone in recovery

- clean dalvik cache and cache for minor upgrade

- factory reset for major upgrade

- connect with adb

- dd 2 partitions
# mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard
# cd /sdcard/system/PJBrs
# dd if=JB-<version>-<timestamp>-system.ext4 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=8192
# cd /sdcard/kernels/PJBrs
# dd if=JB-<version>-<timestamp>-boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=8192

- as above, system is not rooted so typically I copy a few more files
(which I previously saved):

# mkdir -p /mnt/system
# mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/system

# cd /sdcard/xbin
# cp -p busybox rsync scp ssh su /mnt/system/xbin
# cd /mnt/system/xbin
# chmod 755 busybox rsync scp ssh su
# chmod u+s busybox su
# chmod g+s busybox su

# cd /sdcard/apk
# cp -p SuperSu.apk /mnt/system/app/SuperSu.apk
# cd /mnt/system/app/
# chmod 644 SuperSu.apk

- clean up
# cd /
# sync
# umount /mnt/system
# rmdir /mnt/system
# umount /sdcard
# sync

- install gapps from recovery

- reboot

ali banu

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks ! i will try that , but i am no dev. so got no clue . I mean can we get zip file for aosp rom ?

Ravak

Dec 5, 2012

Check 2nd page. In a nutshel:
$ fastboot -i 0x17ef flash system system.img
$ fastboot -i 0x17ef flash boot boot.img

Long answer:
You need Android Studio, once installed you will find fastboot.exe in a platform-tools directory.

Very long answer (how to use get Fastbook working): http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/howto-a2109-fastboot.51074/

Last edited:

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
@Ravak
Agree: fastboot is the right way, but, what, even with -i <vendor>, fastboot does not work (fyi: it does not on my medion tablet)? Then dd is an alternative. I guess fastboot does no more than dd anyway.

ali banu

Aug 25, 2014
Check 2nd page. In a nutshel:

Long answer:
You need Android Studio, once installed you will find fastboot.exe in a platform-tools directory.

Very long answer (how to use get Fastbook working): http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/howto-a2109-fastboot.51074/
Yes i did try it..... boot.img is show completed and ok but system.img showing sending package and after one minute it shown fail.....and not install.........been try so many times ...so that is my problem.

DBlake

Nov 29, 2013
Just a quick question... Did you push your changes to make the camera half work to the got repo yet? Last commit was 9 days ago so I guess not. I'll see if I can get CM11 compiling with the tree once you have the latest sources synced (and once I get VBox+Ubuntu or WUBI set up).

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Just a quick question... Did you push your changes to make the camera half work to the got repo yet? Last commit was 9 days ago so I guess not. I'll see if I can get CM11 compiling with the tree once you have the latest sources synced (and once I get VBox+Ubuntu or WUBI set up).

AOSP:
https://github.com/PJBrs/android_device_lenovo_kai/commits/JellyBean-4.2.2

CM:
https://github.com/PJBrs/android_device_lenovo_kai/commits/cm-10.1

Both should be up-to-date. Small note on AOSP--I just used frameworks/native and frameworks/av from Cyanogenmod and I didn't cherry-pick just the right commits. So I should be able to fix this. And I might have erroneously added the bug about Google Maps to AOSP this way.

@Ravak
Agree: fastboot is the right way, but, what, even with -i <vendor>, fastboot does not work (fyi: it does not on my medion tablet)? Then dd is an alternative. I guess fastboot does no more than dd anyway.

For Lenovo, -i 0x17ef should work. Don't forget to add 0x in front of the vendor ID. I don't know Medion's vendor ID, but in Linux lsusb should give it. In Windows I don't know.

Yes i did try it..... boot.img is show completed and ok but system.img showing sending package and after one minute it shown fail.....and not install.........been try so many times ...so that is my problem.

Which device do you use? This looks like the partition size for system.img is incorrect. Perhaps I should just upload an update package later. It's a bit risky in that AOSP wants to overwrite the recovery. Then again, at least it works.

One more word regarding the camera. I forgot to add that I didn't yet try to use the camera HAL from TF700 or grouper. Either *might* work. And I noticed in the stock ICS version that it's libjpeg is much simpler than the JB-4.1.1 one. Perhaps we just should use *older* libs :)

Finally, it's a lot of fun seeing more people enjoying this work!