[ROM][April 29 2011] >>> phiremod nook V6.2 <<< | CM7.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
so i want to flash this rom but i dont know if i know how to....what does Burn the proper CWM via thecubed to SD (EXT 4)... does that mean i cant download it to my pc then drop it in the directory and flash it throuh CWR? what is thecubed?

Please don't post the exact same question in two different threads.

In the OP the words "Burn the proper CWM via thecubed to SD (EXT 4)" are a link for a reason. Click the link, follow the directions. If unsure, ask a specific question. That link will give you a step by step. It also mentioned my own more detailed instructions at XDA, in your other thread I linked you to my instructions here at AT.net, take you pick - read them twice - proceed at your own risk. :)

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
Please don't post the exact same question in two different threads.

In the OP the words "Burn the proper CWM via thecubed to SD (EXT 4)" are a link for a reason. Click the link, follow the directions. If unsure, ask a specific question. That link will give you a step by step. It also mentioned my own more detailed instructions at XDA, in your other thread I linked you to my instructions here at AT.net, take you pick - read them twice - proceed at your own risk. :)

You know, I must be missing something here...I'm unable to figure it out...I downloaded the build environment...but file seems different than when I burned the sd-image in order to root initially...can anyone here please explain in a bit more detail for me?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You know, I must be missing something here...I'm unable to figure it out...I downloaded the build environment...but file seems different than when I burned the sd-image in order to root initially...can anyone here please explain in a bit more detail for me?

I think you are downloading more than you need. The 'build env' that he offers is for people wanting to create more elaborate bootable images. All you need to download is the appropriate img file for the size SD you are going to burn. I'll list them out here:

1gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
4gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
8gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.1-ext4/128mb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
Which ever size SD you have, pick the appropriate file, unpack it until you have an x.img file the of the correct size, create the bootable SD from that x.img file.

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
I think you are downloading more than you need. The 'build env' that he offers is for people wanting to create more elaborate bootable images. All you need to download is the appropriate img file for the size SD you are going to burn. I'll list them out here:

1gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
4gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
8gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.1-ext4/128mb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.tar.gz
Which ever size SD you have, pick the appropriate file, unpack it until you have an x.img file the of the correct size, create the bootable SD from that x.img file.

Ok...I have a 16 GB sdcard...so...I can choose any of them, and create a partition for the image using winimage...correct?

Sorry for all the questions- just want to be safe :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok...I have a 16 GB sdcard...so...I can choose any of them, and create a partition for the image using winimage...correct?

Sorry for all the questions- just want to be safe :)

Sort of, you don't create a partition. You want to use the .img file to burn a bootable SD. Which means your 16gb card will appear to be whatever size the img is. So if you use the 4gb image for example, once complete, the SD card will appear to only be 4gb in size. It'll have a few files on it which is what boots the Nook. Then you want to add the files (install .zip files) that you plan to install to that card, put it in the Nook, boot it up.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
^See here and reference source above in opening post: NookColor: CyanogenMod Installation - nookDevs

This rom is higher on the difficulty scale than most, use with caution.
I would advise, you read all instructions thoroughly before attempting this mod and this rom is not good for daily use. Right now it is still a work in progress and very much in the development stages.
Excellent! :cool: thanks
although I have read many topics, these simple instructions were not found by me before.
And the OC procedure?Is it done, after I finished with flashing?
Also, does it matter which official version will I have loaded on nook (1.01 or 1.1)?Or if I register to B&N before flashing?

EDIT. Just found this analytical post from Faceman, which helps a lot!

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Excellent! :cool: thanks
although I have read many topics, these simple instructions were not found by me before.
And the OC procedure?Is it done, after I finished with flashing? Yup, you can boot with the ext4 bootable again and flash the new kernel, make sure you use the correct one!
Also, does it matter which official version will I have loaded on nook (1.01 or 1.1)?Or if I register to B&N before flashing? Nope, because installing these ROM will overwrite the 1.0.1/1.1.0

EDIT. Just found this analytical post from Faceman, which helps a lot!

Thanks.

10bigfatcharacters

Vichon

Feb 8, 2011

As rico (et.al.) have mentioned, if you are NOT comfortable with being on the bleeding edge - DON'T FLASH ANY OF THESE ROMS!

If you are a geek or at least OK with minor anomalies, each offers some unique features and benefits coupled with some odd bugs (Microsoft "features). No two are precisely alike and depending on the ROM chosen, have personal customizations the poster felt were good or their personal preference. They are not polished, ready for prime time creations.

I'm running the V3 versions now. It takes me maybe 3 hours to get it back to my preferred configuration after install (widgets, icons on the "desktop", behaviors, wifi connections, etc.).

With each of these ROM's, always follow the directions they post! They often specify a specific build of the boot system (in this case, the version built by the XDA posted "thecubed" due to soem anomaly in the interactions between the two.

As an example, on my Chinese 2.2 tablet, a poster customized the ROM to fix a few odd behaviors and released it - I tried to build it and instead of using the suggested burner, used both Winimage and Win32diskimage - both failed with "image too large" on a 4g card. It turns out that the method he used to burn it required you to follow his directions, dismount the card in windows, and use the suggested burner and when I followed the directions it worked flawlessly!

If you choose to continue - be prepared, you might not be recognized as a nook from B&N, you will find things that do not work or partially fail, items you used once may vanish in the Market or things that used to work now fail (some due to the new OS). You usually can go back to where you were before, but as these ROM's go further into the new release levels, the harder it becomes. Unless you want to experiment or absolutely need a feature, be very wary!!!!!

I love this new ROM and am very happy with it. You might too.

Things I found so far that might cause you grief: Market does not show you the apps you have purchased or downloaded in "downloads". Update notifications is spotty at best for revised applications. Trying to update via AppBrain (and in other places) tell's you "Requested item not found". Some items in the ROM are flagged as "System Files" even though they are not - I needed to remove them and reinstall to fix. SOme downloads refuse to install - requiring several attempts, haven't figured out why yet. The ROM is in flux and updates appear to require you to re-flash and re-customize.

Just a few random thoughts.

As to your question:

You would need to do the following:
1. Download the new CWR the OP refers to if you don't already have it. The Size for the various files you can download refer to the "minimum" SD card size. I used a 4g and Win32DiskImage. You will likely need to unzip (extract the tar ball) for the CWR image.

2. Download the ROM image file. Copy it to the SD card you made in step #1. The SD should show up in Windows as a drive letter in My Computer. Don't unzip the ROM, just copy it.

3. Turn off your Nook (not sleep - power off).

4. Put the SD card you made in it and turn it on, then follow the directions Phiremod gave in his original directions. (it should boot into CWR when turned on.) Follow them exactly!

5. Once completed, have fun.

Note - I experienced the "Stuck in setup" issue and had to do the "4 corners" fix several times before my nook heard me and went to the home screen. Remember, don't panic!

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
Sort of, you don't create a partition. You want to use the .img file to burn a bootable SD. Which means your 16gb card will appear to be whatever size the img is. So if you use the 4gb image for example, once complete, the SD card will appear to only be 4gb in size. It'll have a few files on it which is what boots the Nook. Then you want to add the files (install .zip files) that you plan to install to that card, put it in the Nook, boot it up.

Thankyou for clearing that up, my friend :) I will probably install this evening. :)

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
As rico (et.al.) have mentioned, if you are NOT comfortable with being on the bleeding edge - DON'T FLASH ANY OF THESE ROMS!

If you are a geek or at least OK with minor anomalies, each offers some unique features and benefits coupled with some odd bugs (Microsoft "features). No two are precisely alike and depending on the ROM chosen, have personal customizations the poster felt were good or their personal preference. They are not polished, ready for prime time creations.

I'm running the V3 versions now. It takes me maybe 3 hours to get it back to my preferred configuration after install (widgets, icons on the "desktop", behaviors, wifi connections, etc.).

With each of these ROM's, always follow the directions they post! They often specify a specific build of the boot system (in this case, the version built by the XDA posted "thecubed" due to soem anomaly in the interactions between the two.

As an example, on my Chinese 2.2 tablet, a poster customized the ROM to fix a few odd behaviors and released it - I tried to build it and instead of using the suggested burner, used both Winimage and Win32diskimage - both failed with "image too large" on a 4g card. It turns out that the method he used to burn it required you to follow his directions, dismount the card in windows, and use the suggested burner and when I followed the directions it worked flawlessly!

If you choose to continue - be prepared, you might not be recognized as a nook from B&N, you will find things that do not work or partially fail, items you used once may vanish in the Market or things that used to work now fail (some due to the new OS). You usually can go back to where you were before, but as these ROM's go further into the new release levels, the harder it becomes. Unless you want to experiment or absolutely need a feature, be very wary!!!!!

I love this new ROM and am very happy with it. You might too.

Things I found so far that might cause you grief: Market does not show you the apps you have purchased or downloaded in "downloads". Update notifications is spotty at best for revised applications. Trying to update via AppBrain (and in other places) tell's you "Requested item not found". Some items in the ROM are flagged as "System Files" even though they are not - I needed to remove them and reinstall to fix. SOme downloads refuse to install - requiring several attempts, haven't figured out why yet. The ROM is in flux and updates appear to require you to re-flash and re-customize.

Just a few random thoughts.

As to your question:

You would need to do the following:
1. Download the new CWR the OP refers to if you don't already have it. The Size for the various files you can download refer to the "minimum" SD card size. I used a 4g and Win32DiskImage. You will likely need to unzip (extract the tar ball) for the CWR image.

2. Download the ROM image file. Copy it to the SD card you made in step #1. The SD should show up in Windows as a drive letter in My Computer. Don't unzip the ROM, just copy it.

3. Turn off your Nook (not sleep - power off).

4. Put the SD card you made in it and turn it on, then follow the directions Phiremod gave in his original directions. (it should boot into CWR when turned on.) Follow them exactly!

5. Once completed, have fun.

Note - I experienced the "Stuck in setup" issue and had to do the "4 corners" fix several times before my nook heard me and went to the home screen. Remember, don't panic!

Hey thanks! I'm not as noobish as I sometimes appear, lol, i've been rooting/modding on the D1 and the DX for quite some time, but i'm aware that the NC is a whole different animal, so I like to be sure what I should be doing before I do it...this way I don't end up F'ing something up ;) of course I know the rule- read instructions 3X before following :p, and follow EXACTLY ;)

Again, thanks for the help guys!

Vichon

Feb 8, 2011
Hey thanks! I'm not as noobish as I sometimes appear, lol, i've been rooting/modding on the D1 and the DX for quite some time, but i'm aware that the NC is a whole different animal, so I like to be sure what I should be doing before I do it...this way I don't end up F'ing something up ;) of course I know the rule- read instructions 3X before following :p, and follow EXACTLY ;)

Again, thanks for the help guys!

LOL no problem. I didn't mean to imply your level, just to be sure you were aware. It's really good you take the time to be certain of what is coming.

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
Hey...just to report...installed this evening...everything went smooth...I'm loving it...thanks again guys!! :D

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Referring to this answer from Faceman:
"Also, does it matter which official version will I have loaded on nook (1.01 or 1.1)?Or if I register to B&N before flashing? Nope, because installing these ROM will overwrite the 1.0.1/1.1.0"

I wanted to ask if some users face problems with 1.1 update, cause I have read about same case with CWR and 1.1 at this post. Or it doesnt have anything to do with this mod??

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011
Referring to this answer from Faceman:
"Also, does it matter which official version will I have loaded on nook (1.01 or 1.1)?Or if I register to B&N before flashing? Nope, because installing these ROM will overwrite the 1.0.1/1.1.0"

I wanted to ask if some users face problems with 1.1 update, cause I have read about same case with CWR and 1.1 at this post. Or it doesnt have anything to do with this mod??

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that because you are formatting system and data completely in mounts and storage, and you are running a bootable ext 4 CWR you are basically wiping away everything on there, including the firmware...resulting in a true clean install...
And the OP instructions don't specify that you must be on any specific firmware version prior to install...

I had been running 1.1.0 and installed the Phiremod V2 Beta without issue, and came to this from there...and i've not sufferedany issues (other than what we were warned about, lol)...

I hope that helps...? ;)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you are going to the CM7 nightly build, or the phiremod for that matter, you are replacing the 1.x B&N version of the OS internally, so it does not matter what version you are on.

and eMMc ROM will be overwriting what B&N installed on the device...

So NattyBee, you were correct. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.