[Rom] Beasty's 2.2.1 ROM (Adam) + Clemsyn ver 11 1.5ghz kernel (only 1.2 bootloader)

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Ref: Beasty's 2.2.1 ROM (Adam) + Clemsyn ver 11 1.5ghz kernel (only 1.2 bootloader) - xda-developers
Download Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Check out this new Rom.
It is fully functional and fast. YouTube HQ video, CNN video, Fox video all worked well. Many useful apps are included, except a working file manager.
Highly recommended for a daily driver.

Was at HC/BOS3.2 which is 1.2 base bootloader. So, I just wiped data and cache, then applied the Beastv2.2.1 ClemsyncomboGtab.zip.

Main Screen

209k2zk.jpg

Included Apps

2hdw1gx.jpg

Included keyboard

9ghd8p.jpg

Dave

Edit 5/25/2011 . . . added additional info from the developers:
Ref: http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?329-Beast-ROM-v2.2.1
Ref: http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?630-Beasty-2.2.1-Clemsyn-kernel-combo-1.5ghz

NEW IN LATEST VERSION
+New Wallpaper (Thanks normskilight)
+Updated Toggle App (This is still active development and needs testing)+Fixed some bugs
+Wireless N driver (Thanks Borkata)
+Added Unicode Font for hopefully more language support
+Updated to latest VLT Launcher (Thanks Gojimi)
+Updated to latest Flash + Hulu (Thanks rcxquake)

FEATURES
-Based on Utopia Beta, Gingerbread elements and animations
-Root, Secure=0
-Vegan Kernel - 20240311 NI Kernel + ext4, cifs, ntfs (Thanks Rothnic)
-78Hz Framebuffer, vold fix - for linux users, adhoc fix
-patched Malware Exploit, Host File - to stop many ads
-gps.conf, google maps spin added

INCLUDED APPS
*Google - Market, Maps, Navigation, Latitude, Places, Youtube, Gmail, GTalk, Browser, Calender(no Orange Bar mod), Camera, Contacts, Gallery, Sound Recorder, Phone, Google Search, 3D Gallery, Gingerbread Keyboard, Email(Exchange mod)
*Notion Ink - Canvas, QuickOffice, Mail'd, Sniffer, NI Keyboard, Video Player
*Custom - Calculator, Music Mod, Homeswitcher, Titanium Backup, Spare Parts, Superuser, VLT Launcher, TapNTap Keyboard, Flash(Hulu Mod), Notion Ink Toggle App

DOWNLOAD
ftp://home.sshadows.dk/Beastv2.2.1.zip
Backup/Non-ftp link
http://eto.homeip.net/ftp/NotionInkAdam/Beastv2.2.1.zip
http://amanush.net/Beastv2.2.1.zip

INSTALL STEPS
-Download .zip file onto your Adam's internal / external sdcard
-(Not needed for clockworkmod users) rename zip file to update.zip
-(already rooted users) use titanium backup to backup apps data you care about
-reboot into recovery (power + volume_up)
-(clockworkmod users) nand backup
-clear system data+cache
-apply .zip
-reboot
-correct timezone
-(user's who were previously rooted) download titanium backup and recover app data you cared about

UPDATE STEPS (This is not guaranteed to work, best bet is to backup with Titanium Backup and clear /data)
-Download .zip file onto your Adam's internal / external sdcard
-(Not needed for clockworkmod users) rename zip file to update.zip
-reboot into recovery (power + volume_up)
-(clockworkmod users) nand backup
-(Not sure about this) clear system cache
-apply .zip
-reboot

Edit 6/16/2011
Beasty 2.2.1+Clemsyn kernel combo 1.5 ver3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H2XD0DY7
WARNING: This contains an OVERCLOCKED kernel.
CPU = 1500mhz (default = 1000mhz)
System/Avp/vde BUS= 266400 (default = 240000)
GPU = 400mhz (default = 300)

Note: Use cpumaster to overclock since default upon boot is 1ghz. Cpumaster will allow setting at 1.5 and using Pimpmygtab (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1018411) for undervoltage setting.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
No one tried yet ? LOL.

Notice the standard SETTING and the NOTION ADAM SETTING ? The latter one compliments and adds more functionality to make this rom better than anything I have tried.
If your tablet is already at 1.2 base, switching to this rom is just a breeze.
If your tablet is at 1.1 base, you must find a comfortable way to upgrade to 1.2 base, or use a CWM that is compatible with 1.2.
If you are unsure, ask first.

Where are all the bright, young and adventurous owners?

Dave

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Here is a bonus reading which may explain the relationship between gtablet and its other siblings. This relationship really benefits the gtablet users thanks to the commonality between devices, firmware and applications.
I am not sure if the reading is correct, in whole or in part. However the author is well regarded and the article explained things logically.

Ref: xda-developers - View Single Post - [q] what is 1.1 and 1.2 stock? what is the bootloader?

Viewsonic is a basically a repackager. they put their name on a product and sell it to the masses. US Merchants is the US company that imports these products from China. The Chinese company that actually builds them is called Malata.
Malata is also responsible for the Notion Ink Adam as well as some other Tegra 2 based tablets.
The odd part comes in to play when you look at the bootlaoders for each device. Notion Ink always used a 1.2 bootloader for their Adam updates and firmwares. Viewsonic, though, was using what is assumed to be an older version of firmware based on the 1.1 branch. There is a lot of speculation as to why this is, and there is no real answer.
Now, back in February, one of the devs got a hold of a firmware labelled 3391. He discovered that it was on a different bootloader than the G-Tablet was currently using. he messed around with it a bit, but it proved to be difficult to crack at the time, since everyone was on 1.1 and it wasn't an official update, so nobody really had it.
Then, Viewsonic hadn't released an official update for a while. Users were getting irritated, and a mass request went out for Viewsonic to do SOMETHING...they did, they released the 4349 firmware, but then pulled it 24 hours later. It's still known as the most recent officla firmware, thought it's not available anymore (officially) 4349 also ended up being a 1.2 firmware. SO, now since this was an official update, the developer that was messing with 3391 figured that this was the direction that Viewsonic/Malata was going to go. He made his opinions known but was rejected by some of the mods here at XDA.
Since then, he has graciously moved to another forum where he houses all of his 1.2 roms. He took it upon himself ot convert his older roms to the newer 1.2 bootloader (Brilliant Corners, Mountain Laurel). He also created a seperate Clockwork mod that will work on 1.2 bootlaoder as well.
It was discovered that the new 1.2 bootloader from Viewsonic was the same bootloader that Adam had been using all along. It seemed that Viewsonic was either using, or getting outdated software from Malata. So, now we can also use Adam Roms and Kernels on our G-Tablets as well.
Honeycomb was ported from another device, but enabled to use the 1.2 bootloader. It's still in Alpha stages, but does require the 1.2 bootloader to flash.
Essentially, 3588 was the LAST 1.1 official updated firmware directly from Viewsonic. The only way that it can be improved upon is if we get more 1.1 official updates from Viewsonic. But, since we haven't recieved ANY updates from Viewsonic, we're not holding our breath.
4349 was the FIRST (and as of now ONLY) 1.2 official update from Viewsonic.
Fortunately for G-Tablet users, the Adam bootloader being compatible with our 1.2 bootlaoder opens the door for infinate possibilities. We are no longer dependant on VS to provide updates, as updates from Notion Ink can be ported more easily.
it's been suggested that the older 1.1 roms e converted to 1.2 roms ot avoid confusion and unexpected softbricks caused by such confusion, but there is resistence.

I've been using this rom for a week now, off and on of course. It is really a pleasure one to look at.
One final warning for new users that this rom is based on 1.2 bootloader. The understanding between 1.1 and 1.2 bootloaders, and how to switch between the two is essential prior to use this sexy rom.

Dave,

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
Here is a bonus reading which may explain the relationship between gtablet and its other siblings. This relationship really benefits the gtablet users thanks to the commonality between devices, firmware and applications.

I've been using this for about a week or so - was on Roe's alpha HC for a while but for how I use the gtab it was more of a burden working on and installing workarounds. Used his BC for a while then thought I'd try this based on your recommendation. It is sweet and fast, and a good place to stand while the HC build out continues.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
No one tried yet ? LOL.

Notice the standard SETTING and the NOTION ADAM SETTING ? The latter one compliments and adds more functionality to make this rom better than anything I have tried.
If your tablet is already at 1.2 base, switching to this rom is just a breeze.
If your tablet is at 1.1 base, you must find a comfortable way to upgrade to 1.2 base, or use a CWM that is compatible with 1.2.
If you are unsure, ask first.

Where are all the bright, young and adventurous owners?

Dave

OK I read the fine print and can sew the dim light at the end of the tunnel. Questions are A. what boot loader is CM7 based on, like most of the "older versions" assuming it is 1.1. B. What is the best way to move from a 1.1 based room to 1.2 based rom. Is there a way to move back and fourth between the two boot loader versions with out great risk of bricking my tab. OK that was three questions.

Dan

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
OK I read the fine print and can sew the dim light at the end of the tunnel. Questions are A. what boot loader is CM7 based on, like most of the "older versions" assuming it is 1.1. B. What is the best way to move from a 1.1 based room to 1.2 based rom. Is there a way to move back and fourth between the two boot loader versions with out great risk of bricking my tab. OK that was three questions.

Dan

A good way to move from 1.1 to 1.2 base perhaps would be to NVFLASH with bekit's original NVFLASH files [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers, then perform the standard OTA or pushed upgrade to 3588. From here, flash HC/BOS 3.3 using standard recovery which has a built-in cwm which is compatible with 1.2 base. Then wipe data and cache, and apply the Beastv2.2.1 ClemsyncomboGtab.zip Beasty's 2.2.1 ROM (Adam) + Clemsyn ver 11 1.5ghz kernel (only 1.2 bootloader) - xda-developers.

I've seen some post insisted to go from 3588 to 4349 before flashing HC/BOS. Your call.

If you do a nanoid backup before flashing each new rom, you should be able to switch back and forth between rom's within a few minutes

Does that make sense ?

Dave

Triune

Nov 29, 2010

Dan
I went with the nvflash put together by roebeet straight to the 4349 build, then on to brilliant corners, to the alpha builds, and now back to this one. there is a fair amount of chatter about being able to do such switching back and forth on some pages, in the 90s, on the honeycomb thread over at slatedroid - sort of a dual boot type of situation.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I went with the nvflash put together by roebeet straight to the 4349 build, then on to brilliant corners, to the alpha builds, and now back to this one. there is a fair amount of chatter about being able to do such switching back and forth on some pages, in the 90s, on the honeycomb thread over at slatedroid - sort of a dual boot type of situation.

I have backed up all of my 1.1 roms and flashing clemsyns 1.2 bootloader kernel on top of that after restoring from cwm when coming back from honeycomb. I've been switching between 3 roms for weeks now... the restore/switch only takes about 5 minutes but I'm starting to get concerned as to how much we can flash our tablets before the hard drive starts to go. I must a flashed about 50-60 times total. (Please dont ask why as I am a serial flasher) Will be trying this build some time tomorrow...can't wait, sounds better than Vegan 5.1 to me.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Updated 6/16/2011

Beasty 2.2.1+Clemsyn kernel combo 1.5 ver3
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
WARNING: This contains an OVERCLOCKED kernel.
CPU = 1500mhz (default = 1000mhz)
System/Avp/vde BUS= 266400 (default = 240000)
GPU = 400mhz (default = 300)

Note: Use cpumaster to overclock since default upon boot is 1ghz. Cpumaster will allow setting at 1.5 and using Pimpmygtab ([APP] 18 may 2011 : Pimp My Cpu 2.7 (OC/UV kernel control tool) - xda-developers) for undervoltage setting.