[ROM] [Coby MID 8042] StockROM Xtreme Edition

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Welcome to StockROM Xtreme Edition!

This is stock the way it should have been and then some (ok, a lot more than some ;p).

Features include:
BusyBox with run-parts
Root
Custom boot animation enabled (place in /data/local, name "bootanimation", done!)
Bash shell support
De-Odexed for theme supporting
1% batterymod with circlemod blue pre-installed
Apps pre-installed (DropBox, Estrongs File-Manger, Facebook, Titanium Backup(free), MX MediaPlayer, batterycalibration, NOVA Launcher, All Google Stores to-date (Play Music, etc) and MediaServer!)
Pre-installed apps in data/app for ease of removal
Zip-Aligned APKs to lower ram usage
Swapped the Mount Points so Android uses the external sdcard for app storage
Sym-Linked

This is an initial release so expect a few bugs. Please report any in this thread or feel free to pm me with other concerns. If there is loss of touchscreen control this is a Coby issue. The fix is easy provided you still have or even made a stock back-up image. Look in your /system/vendors/modules folder, select all copy all and push them to the same folder in your new rom. The cause appears to be Coby having used at two different versions of a touch panel for the tablet thus requiring two different drivers.

Finally I do encourage feedback! Please let me know about things that feel out of place or things that are missing.

thanks to vampirefo helping narrow down the driver issues and myg123 for giving a guide to remount extsd to the sdcard mount point.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91125716/ROMs/Coby MID 8042/StockROM_Xtreme_Edition_v.0.1.zip

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Plans, Plans, and more P
Changelog:
Code:
StockROM Xtreme Edition v.0.2 Planned Changes:
-add Google Now
-add Theme Chooser Themes
-fix errors so far
-more...?
-find solution to  broken root package
-add quick controls

**IMPORTANT**
Due to reports of sdcards becoming unusable after using the tablet to format them DO NOT use the Erase function in Settings>Storage. If you have had your sdcard owned by this simply use linux's Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) to delete all partitions, then add a new one. Click apply and done. This has been confirmed to fix the issue. If you do not have linux I recommend using ubuntu as a live usb or cd and doing this. Windows does not seem to fix this but instead adds garbage data in the partition table. If you need further help with this please feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
This is not a dead ROM. It is still being actively developed I am just very busy with life and work. Just thought 'd let anyone who uses this know :) **EDIT** The development of this ROM is on hold until I can get my hands on some Kernel Sources to further PROPERLY implement so planned features. If you have questions about it however feel free to post them on this forum and I will be happy to provide some support. **

Last edited:

omaley

Jul 29, 2013
Any chance you have the display driver for the Coby mid8042-4. Every thing works but the touch screen. I have a bad back up and cant get the files from it. Or maybe a Stock Coby mid8042-4 rom.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Any chance you have the display driver for the Coby mid8042-4. Every thing works but the touch screen. I have a bad back up and cant get the files from it. Or maybe a Stock Coby mid8042-4 rom.

Yes, I have a few. I will set-up a dropbox link for ya! Thanks for trying it! Please lemme know if this helps.

**EDIT**

Here are the links:
Driver Fix # 1
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91125716/roms/coby mid 8042/DriverFix-a.zip

Driver Fix # 2
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91125716/roms/coby mid 8042/DriverFix-b.zip

Try flashing the first one and seeing if touch is restored then try flashing the second one if it's not. One of them should work as I'm currently only aware of two different touch drivers, but if neither of them works for you please PM me.

Last edited: