[ROM] [Coby MID1042] Alien Droid (Advanced GUI customization) [11.18.12]

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Hey guys! I origionaly made this ROM for The Kindle Fire and I decided to port it over to the Coby MID1042. This ROM is based off stock firmware but it has many GUI additions.Lets get into it!!!

DOWNLOAD>>>>
DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE WIFI PROBLEM (I AM WARNING YOU)
CURRENT BUILD:
V 2.0 11.30.12 download here

OLD BUILDS:
V 1.0 11.18.12 download here

STOCK ROM FIRMWARE:
download here

DESCRIPTION>>>>
This ROM is made for people who love customization, It has an advanced theme chooser, battery icon changer, WiFi icon changer, and a soft key style picker. All these options will be in the app I developed called "GUI Settings". More GUI settings are to come in later builds. In addition to all that it has lots of other tweaks including add blocking.

FEATURES>>>>
These are just some of the features of this ROM:
*alien shop: download free themes and mods and apply them directly from the app
*custom theme switcher app made from scratch by me (app is called GUI Settings)
*battery icon changer
*soft key changer
*WiFi icon changer
*custom boot animation (made by hyperrunner)
*gapps are preinstalled
*custom default wallpaper
*add blocking
*root file manager
*some bloat removed
*added zip and zipalign binary (used by my app)
*added updated wget binary
*added cp binary because for some wered reason it did not come with it
*disguised as Galaxy Nexus for more apps to choose from app store
*rooted

HOW TO INSTALL>>>>

You will need CWM recovery. If you do not have CWM recovery then follow this guide and make a backup!
(1)download ROM form computer of directly from tablet and transfer to built in sdcard
(2).reboot into recovery by typing "reboot-recovery" from terminal emulator/adb shell or by holding down the silver button and power button
(3).go into "install zip from sdcard">"choose zip from sdcard">then select the ROM to install. (The install will take a long time)
(4).once it is done then WIPE data and cache then reboot and it should take about 30 sec to a min to boot into ROM.

DISCLAIMER & BUGS>>>>
WIFI PROBLEMS...CAUSES ALL ROMS TO HAVE WIFI PROBLEMS I am not responsible for a bricked device but I will surely help If something goes wrong. The only bug that I have noticed is that after installing a theme, sometimes the screen acts abnormally by rotating randomly until you reboot.

THANKS>>>>
Coby for providing base
people around the internet i grabbed some graphics from,
tobiascuypers and josepho1997 from xda for some icons,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1201255 ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413582 ,
this thread: [MOD] ★★★ Super Circle Battery with % ★★★ Version A-P & Z (Custom) ★★★ - xda-developers ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889522 ,
anyone I forgot to mention,
myself,
and Jesus for everything else.

I DO NOT USE WINDOWS SO DO NOT ASK ME WINDOWS QUESTIONS

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Screenshots:

Attachments

• $shot_000007.jpg
    $shot_000007.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8,819
  • $shot_000006.jpg
    $shot_000006.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 8,818
  • $shot_000005.jpg
    $shot_000005.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 8,830
  • $shot_000003.jpg
    $shot_000003.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8,682
Last edited:

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Video:

Google Maps apk: http://db.tt/yS6GehO0

*Improved the disguise as a Galaxy Nexus
*Added ICS version of voice search
*video chat does not force close anymore
*improved wifi a bit (needs some testing)
*did not add Google Maps but you can download it from https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu4nrd2f8zx9f5f/com.google.android.apps.maps-1.apk

11/18/12
*release

Last edited by a moderator:

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
powerpoint45 thanks so much for this ROM! Looks like you are currently the only game in town with a custom ROM for the mid1042! One suggestion, you might want to add a note to the OP warning people that the CWM flash will take a bit... it took so long I got worried! But all is well with patience and the custom boot ani is awesome!!!! I've been using it all night and it seems to be working great. VERY smooth when swiping between screens, tons of customization options. I am having WiFi issues however. It is very intermittent and for a while it wouldn't let me connect to my wifi at all. Also, no Google Maps? and it appears I cannot even download from the android market...any thoughts on that?

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
Oh and I lost "proper root" after flashing according to Titanium Backup and Root Checker...

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
dbeauch said:
Oh and I lost "proper root" after flashing according to Titanium Backup and Root Checker...

Whats the "proper root"? Also in an update I will add Google maps and voice search. If you would like I could upload Google Maps for you. I will look into changing the WiFi scan interval but if you have not noticed, WiFi is sometimes hard to reconnect to directly after applying a theme/mod.

Last edited:

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
Whats the "proper root"? Also in an update I will add Google maps and voice search. If you would like I could upload Google Maps for you. I will look into changing the WiFi scan interval but if you have not noticed, WiFi is sometimes hard to reconnect to directly after applying a theme/mod.

that would be awesome thanks! and no i was not aware of wifi issues with theme/mods...either way this kicks ass over the stock rom! oh and i lost root after flashing the rom. i had to reroot my tablet to get it back.

bmcl1993

Nov 27, 2012
Hey guys! I origionaly made this ROM for The Kindle Fire and I decided to port it over to the Coby MID1042. This ROM is based off stock firmware but it has many GUI additions.Lets get into it!!!

DOWNLOAD>>>>
CURRENT BUILD:
V 1.0 11.18.12 download here

OLD BUILDS:
none

STOCK ROM FIRMWARE:
download here

DESCRIPTION>>>>
This ROM is made for people who love customization, It has an advanced theme chooser, battery icon changer, WiFi icon changer, and a soft key style picker. All these options will be in the app I developed called "GUI Settings". More GUI settings are to come in later builds. In addition to all that it has lots of other tweaks including add blocking.

FEATURES>>>>
These are just some of the features of this ROM:
*alien shop: download free themes and mods and apply them directly from the app
*custom theme switcher app made from scratch by me (app is called GUI Settings)
*battery icon changer
*soft key changer
*WiFi icon changer
*custom boot animation (made by hyperrunner)
*gapps are preinstalled
*custom default wallpaper
*add blocking
*root file manager
*some bloat removed
*added zip and zipalign binary (used by my app)
*added updated wget binary
*added cp binary because for some wered reason it did not come with it
*disguised as Galaxy Nexus for more apps to choose from app store
*rooted

HOW TO INSTALL>>>>

You will need CWM recovery. If you do not have CWM recovery then follow this guide and make a backup!
(1)download ROM form computer of directly from tablet and transfer to built in sdcard
(2).reboot into recovery by typing "reboot-recovery" from terminal emulator/adb shell or by holding down the silver button and power button
(3).go into "install zip from sdcard">"choose zip from sdcard">then select the ROM to install. (The install will take a long time)
(4).once it is done then reboot and it should take about 30 sec to a min to boot into ROM.

DISCLAIMER & BUGS>>>>
I am not responsible for a bricked device but I will surely help If something goes wrong. The only bug that I have noticed is that after installing a theme, sometimes the screen acts abnormally by rotating randomly until you reboot.

THANKS>>>>
Coby for providing base
people around the internet i grabbed some graphics from,
tobiascuypers and josepho1997 from xda for some icons,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1201255 ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413582 ,
this thread: [MOD] ★★★ Super Circle Battery with % ★★★ Version A-P & Z (Custom) ★★★ - xda-developers ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889522 ,
anyone I forgot to mention,
myself,
and Jesus for everything else.

Hello, this rom have all the languages ​​that official software have?

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
dbeauch said:
that would be awesome thanks! and no i was not aware of wifi issues with theme/mods...either way this kicks ass over the stock rom! oh and i lost root after flashing the rom. i had to reroot my tablet to get it back.

Hmm that is weird.Well I might have found out the WIFI. Problem but also for now you can click on alien shop app then click "turn wifi on" to boost connection. In the next update I should have it fixed.I will probably have an update by next Sunday. Here is Google maps apk http://db.tt/yS6GehO0

Last edited:

bmcl1993

Nov 27, 2012
One more thing, this is for coby mid1042.8 with 1Gb of ram and 8Gb of "hard disc"? Or works in the mid1042 and mid1042.8?

The "STOCK ROM FIRMWARE" is the official software how came instaled in the kyros 1042? (if I don't like this rom, or want put the official rom I can instal the "STOCK ROM FIRMWARE" like I instal the Alien Droid???

Sorry I don't understand tablets xD

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
bmcl1993 said:
One more thing, this is for coby mid1042.8 with 1Gb of ram and 8Gb of "hard disc"? Or works in the mid1042 and mid1042.8?

The "STOCK ROM FIRMWARE" is the official software how came instaled in the kyros 1042? (if I don't like this rom, or want put the official rom I can instal the "STOCK ROM FIRMWARE" like I instal the Alien Droid???

Sorry I don't understand tablets xD

My understanding is that the .8 in mid1042.8 means it is 8 gb so this ROM should work with it. And yes the stock firmware installs just like this ROM. It will revert it back to normal but it comes with Gapps. But I also recomend you make a backup in cwm recovery just in case.