[ROM] [Coby MID1042] Alien Droid (Advanced GUI customization) [11.18.12]

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
So whread and vampireof fixed y'alls tabs?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk 2

I think I am going to send the tablet to Coby and have them replace it. I don't feel comfortable selling this tablet, the tablet works but not as well as I think it should. So I am going to send it into Coby for warranty replacement. Most likely will wait til next month to send it in, I am currently using the tablet for a project right now.

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
I think I am going to send the tablet to Coby and have them replace it. I don't feel comfortable selling this tablet, the tablet works but not as well as I think it should. So I am going to send it into Coby for warranty replacement. Most likely will wait til next month to send it in, I am currently using the tablet for a project right now.

So wifi's not working right for you?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
So wifi's not working right for you?

wifi works on my tablet, wifi was never a problem with this tablet other than the wifi is weak, these models use same wifi as 7042 which is very weak, meaning you have to be close to router to get full strength. The newer models have better wifi, than the older ones.

whread

Apr 15, 2013
Hey powerpoint45!

I have a number of ROMs here that work to varying degrees - I can send you 1 or I can send you all that work

There are a bunch of tablets sold in local areas (ie. spain only, ploand only et. c.) that are exact 'clones' of the severl variations of the Coby 1042. I have many of them.

I have no problem testing any ROM. At this moment I am using a GoClever TAB A104.2 Android 4.0.4 (A1042_121031.img 587,802 kb) but there are others that use Jelly Beans which also work.

The GoClever, Cherry and Protab ROMs are the closest to mine but there are more that mostly work. I knbow there are hardware changes in all of them because ROMs with different dates for the same brand/model tablet work better or worse as do the Coby 1042 dumps I got from this forum.

The closer the ROM date is to 12/2012 the more hardware works.

In general the differences in my 1042 Hardware (different wifi and G/Accel sensors) cause all I have tried so far to have issues. For sure there are much better ROMs out there than Coby is using.

If I had access to other versions of the 1042 I could test the ROMs on them and I am dead sure that on certain 1042 certain ROMs would work perfectly.

I spoke to Coby and they said plainly and clearly they would not allow me or anyone else access to their in house ROMs. They did say that there are 'several' different hardware revisions.

When I mentioned the Mike Hard 3 ROMs, did not say his name just the rom name, they pushed hard to find out how I knew about them and cautioned me to not use any of them on any Coby 1042.

I told them that 2 of them worked on mine but they just remained silent.

Coby would not tell me the manufacturer but did say I was corrtect that the tablet is manufactured in China and it was the manufacturer that was issuing the hardware changes.

Like everyone my issue is time to play with (and indeed learn) Android and Linux.
I have been taking notes on the variuos ROMs which might be complete in the next week or 2.

whread

Apr 15, 2013
wifi works on my tablet, wifi was never a problem with this tablet other than the wifi is weak, these models use same wifi as 7042 which is very weak, meaning you have to be close to router to get full strength. The newer models have better wifi, than the older ones.

no luck w/ coby replacing?

can you send me pm w/ your serial? may be intrested in it.

have you tried a cell phone reception passive booster ( dead center top apply to back)? one of those stick on things (btw - most do not work at all, some work, and a few work very well they are all cheap check the reviews/ratings)

is your flasing screen issue gone? I might have some insight on that one.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
no luck w/ coby replacing?

can you send me pm w/ your serial? may be intrested in it.

have you tried a cell phone reception passive booster ( dead center top apply to back)? one of those stick on things (btw - most do not work at all, some work, and a few work very well they are all cheap check the reviews/ratings)

is your flasing screen issue gone? I might have some insight on that one.

My a2109 tablet required warranty repair, so I have been using this 1042 tablet in it's place. I am sure I can get Coby to replace the tablet, it does have hardware problems, the internal hard drive eg memory is damaged came from factory that way. This tablet will fall under manufacture defect, right now I am using this tablet until my lenovo comes back, then at end of month I will send this tablet into Coby for replacement, it can't be fixed needs to be replaced.

whread

Apr 15, 2013
ok good to know - have installed android on our lenovo s10 v2 w/ windows 7 & linux - no touch screen, touch pad works fine & keyboard is a plus - using grub to control boot - got the the ASUS ics android running on it

also have had good response with wifi by decreasing the scan interval

nicod

Jul 15, 2013
Hello,

I have trouble with the wifi module after flash.
I think i'm same situation [ whread, frequenzy ],Version mid1042 buy during 2013 + SlideMe Market + GetJar Market + error inside logcat "driver 8192.cu.uk fail load ". inside /vendor/module/... i have one file 8192.cu.uk, i dont undestand !!

I have dump, just after this procedure : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...recovery-update-all-without-livesuite-11.html

Code:
 adb shell
    su
    mkdir /sdcard/dump
    cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
    cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
    busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/1042_system.tar /system

I tried restore the 3 files with this procedure, without success ...
My Coby without wifi is not funny !!

Code:
boot into recovery. 

use cwm navigate to mount options format /data /system /cache 

mount /sdcard /cache /system 

adb shell 

cp /sdcard/install-boot.sh /tmp/install-boot.sh 
cp /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh 
cp /sdcard/install-system.sh /tmp/install-system.sh 

chmod 755 /tmp/install-system.sh 
chmod 755 /tmp/install-bootloader.sh 
chmod 755 /tmp/install-boot.sh 

busybox sh /tmp/install-boot.sh 
busybox sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh 
busybox sh /tmp/install-system.sh 

reboot

I tried install "Po_ROM_Pompero_JB_1_0.img" with livesuite 1.11, objectif done the same think what WHREAD : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...i-customization-11-18-12-a-13.html#post281683 . i revomed all apps inside /system/app/ with "GOOGLE" inside the name. But no effect no WIFI.

I flashed also with ROM (every time no wifi Turn ON):
AlienDroidV2.0.zip
A1042_121031.img
Po_ROM_Pompero_JB_1_0.img
TAB460.img
MANTA-01F2-D1-H2-H01-2474.20120725.img
TAB-PROTAB2XXL(4.1)20120409.img
10 inch PROTAB2XXL-Android 4.0.3_1828-20120725.img

I realy need turn ON the wifi, do you have a solution or ROM configur for my mid1042 version ?

Thanks you for help :D Merci beaucoup (fr) :D

carever

Jul 17, 2013
thks, powerpoint 45, your room alien droid v2 work perfectly fine on my coby mid1042, sorry for my english,

carever

Jul 17, 2013
Nicod, I had the same problem and tested the same roms that you, for constantly changing roms my touch screen is descalibrated, searches this rom: sun4i_crane_mid1042_120701(8GB)V1, or sun4i_crane_mid1042-CrazyHamster-120808-v1, or this rom AlienDroidV2 (excelent for me) for this rom you must use ClockWorkMod

devilantonio

Nov 17, 2013
hello goodnight needed these rom
DOWNLOAD >>>>
DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM WIFI (I AM WARNING YOU)
CURRENT BUILD:
V 2.0 11:30:12 download here

OLD BUILDS:
V 1.0 11:18:12 download here

STOCK ROM FIRMWARE:
here to download for my tablet to work please someone get me the link I'm not able to download.

ranchwhere

Feb 11, 2014
Been quiet around here for a few months. Well I'm at my 1st post on putting a custom on a MID1042.

A friend's Coby Kryos MID1042 tab. Build date 2012-12-24

Do have orig. dumps

I followed the path here at on the Gen 3 Cobys. From Traveller1701 and vampirefo for the CW ROM.
I could never get the CW ROM to "take". I did get my original dumps.
I just kept getting back to the Coby stock.
Except I lost WiFi. Issue where it won't "turn on".
So,

I decided to install AlienDroid2 from ext sdcard.
Runs nice! Kudos to powerpoint45.
But of course, the WiFi still won't engage.

I'm at a burnout point here for the day...and I gotta concert to get to!
When I'm fresh I'll make my 3rd pass thru the "pertinent threads" here.
I was just wondering if had missed a concise way to identify WiFi chipset, and get
the correct drivers etc.? Based upon the 12/24/2012 build?

Thanks for all the work Peeps!

lbonavino

Jul 12, 2014
Finally I read all your dialogs, 14 pages tookme a few hours, I wish I could help you more guys.

I screw my 1042 by changing the rom (and no backing up) long ago trying to get the google store, but ended with a faulty wifi, no video, and no audio.

After installing the AllienDroid 2.0 My video is back, wifi connects some times, but the audio is intermitent, in my PC experience it seems to be a DMA problem, if so, then fixing the wifi problem may be related to another driver sharing the wifi dma.

I wish someone could upload all the 1042 roms in one place, with the building date so we could test one by one.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Finally I read all your dialogs, 14 pages tookme a few hours, I wish I could help you more guys.

I screw my 1042 by changing the rom (and no backing up) long ago trying to get the google store, but ended with a faulty wifi, no video, and no audio.

After installing the AllienDroid 2.0 My video is back, wifi connects some times, but the audio is intermitent, in my PC experience it seems to be a DMA problem, if so, then fixing the wifi problem may be related to another driver sharing the wifi dma.

I wish someone could upload all the 1042 roms in one place, with the building date so we could test one by one.
Sounds like a good ideal, once you get them uploaded, and labeled correctly post a link.

sent from my kingSing T1 via taptalk