[ROM] [Coby MID1042] Alien Droid (Advanced GUI customization) [11.18.12]

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
Hey guys! I origionaly made this ROM for The Kindle Fire and I decided to port it over to the Coby MID1042. This ROM is based off stock firmware but it has many GUI additions.Lets get into it!!!

DOWNLOAD>>>>
CURRENT BUILD:
V 1.0 11.18.12 download here

OLD BUILDS:
none

STOCK ROM FIRMWARE:
download here

DESCRIPTION>>>>
This ROM is made for people who love customization, It has an advanced theme chooser, battery icon changer, WiFi icon changer, and a soft key style picker. All these options will be in the app I developed called "GUI Settings". More GUI settings are to come in later builds. In addition to all that it has lots of other tweaks including add blocking.

FEATURES>>>>
These are just some of the features of this ROM:
*alien shop: download free themes and mods and apply them directly from the app
*custom theme switcher app made from scratch by me (app is called GUI Settings)
*battery icon changer
*soft key changer
*WiFi icon changer
*custom boot animation (made by hyperrunner)
*gapps are preinstalled
*custom default wallpaper
*add blocking
*root file manager
*some bloat removed
*added zip and zipalign binary (used by my app)
*added updated wget binary
*added cp binary because for some wered reason it did not come with it
*disguised as Galaxy Nexus for more apps to choose from app store
*rooted

HOW TO INSTALL>>>>

You will need CWM recovery. If you do not have CWM recovery then follow this guide and make a backup!
(1)download ROM form computer of directly from tablet and transfer to built in sdcard
(2).reboot into recovery by typing "reboot-recovery" from terminal emulator/adb shell or by holding down the silver button and power button
(3).go into "install zip from sdcard">"choose zip from sdcard">then select the ROM to install. (The install will take a long time)
(4).once it is done then WIPE data and cache then reboot and it should take about 30 sec to a min to boot into ROM.

DISCLAIMER & BUGS>>>>
I am not responsible for a bricked device but I will surely help If something goes wrong. The only bug that I have noticed is that after installing a theme, sometimes the screen acts abnormally by rotating randomly until you reboot.

THANKS>>>>
Coby for providing base
people around the internet i grabbed some graphics from,
tobiascuypers and josepho1997 from xda for some icons,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1201255 ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413582 ,
this thread: [MOD] ★★★ Super Circle Battery with % ★★★ Version A-P & Z (Custom) ★★★ - xda-developers ,
this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889522 ,
anyone I forgot to mention,
myself,
and Jesus for everything else.

Okay I had a big long response to this post but lost it somewhere bouncing back and forth. I am trying to root a Coby kyros 1042 to get google apps running on it with no success as yet. I was able to copy the alien android onto the sdcard but I cannot get the install to complete. Holding the power button and the silver button will get me into theandroid system recovery but, if I run the "apply update from external storage (the only option that seems to allow anything) I get this message:
'--install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

What have I done wrong? I just need to get google apps to work. (The apps this comes with are a joke.) Can I do that through the stock build you provided?

I get the same error when trying to use the stock build as well. Please help.

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
Okay I had a big long response to this post but lost it somewhere bouncing back and forth. I am trying to root a Coby kyros 1042 to get google apps running on it with no success as yet. I was able to copy the alien android onto the sdcard but I cannot get the install to complete. Holding the power button and the silver button will get me into theandroid system recovery but, if I run the "apply update from external storage (the only option that seems to allow anything) I get this message:
'--install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted."

What have I done wrong? I just need to get google apps to work. (The apps this comes with are a joke.) Can I do that through the stock build you provided?

I get the same error when trying to use the stock build as well. Please help.

You need to turn signature verification off. Go to >install zip from sdcard>toggle signature verification.

Hey do you allready have it rooted. If so do you mind doing me a favior and sending me a file inside the default rom before installing another rom. I need the build.prop file from within the stock rom from /system/build.prop

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
You need to turn signature verification off. Go to >install zip from sdcard>toggle signature verification.

Hey do you allready have it rooted. If so do you mind doing me a favior and sending me a file inside the default rom before installing another rom. I need the build.prop file from within the stock rom from /system/build.prop

Okay, I'm lost. How do I do that? Through the pc or through the tablet. Not finding anywhere to toggle it either way so far but, thanks.

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
Okay, I'm lost. How do I do that? Through the pc or through the tablet. Not finding anywhere to toggle it either way so far but, thanks.

If you download root browser, just go to /system/build.prop then move it to /sdcard then upload please. The toggle is in cwm recovery. Once in clockworkmod go to "install zip from sdcard" and you will see "toggle signature verification"

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
You will no doubt think I am really dense (might be true too) but, where do I download "root browser" from and where to (pc or tablet)? The only root browser I found was through google play which I cannot download unless I download it to my phone. I wish google play would just let me add a device to the account. I could just add the tablet and get apps.

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
You will no doubt think I am really dense (might be true too) but, where do I download "root browser" from and where to (pc or tablet)? The only root browser I found was through google play which I cannot download unless I download it to my phone. I wish google play would just let me add a device to the account. I could just add the tablet and get apps.

Oh wow my bad. Here http://db.tt/Lki4BXSh
Edit:nevermind i dont need the file anymore. Thanks anyways

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
If you download root browser, just go to /system/build.prop then move it to /sdcard then upload please. The toggle is in cwm recovery. Once in clockworkmod go to "install zip from sdcard" and you will see "toggle signature verification"
Wow! I am again at a loss. I downloaded the root browser but, I cannot see anywhere in there for' /system/ build.prop' in order to move it to the sd card. Should I just move the whole zip file over there and extract it there?
I also do not see anywhere on there to find the cwm recovery. Thanks for your help. I think this is all just over my head.

powerpoint45

Sep 9, 2012
Dieselrider said:
That is just as well. I was trying to get the alian android set up and yes, this thing is already rooted (I think I got that right earlier). Just cannot get the sig verification off that you mentioned. Thanks anyway.

I will send a short vid to toggle sig ver
Edit: here: http://db.tt/LwBDKChH

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I will send a short vid to toggle sig ver
Edit: here: http://db.tt/LwBDKChH

Well, that explains why I can't see it. Mine does not give me that option at all. There is nothing on the screen that ever pops up for toggling the signature verification on or off. I don't know what I am doing wrong?

By the way, do you know you can select the 'backup and reset" option from the settings and then choose :recovery Mode" and the tablet will reboot to that same screen with the same options as holding the power and silver buttons? At least it does on mine.

The options I get in that screen are
"reboot system now"
"apply update from external storage"
"wipe data/ factory reset"
"wipe cache partition"
"apply update from cache"

Never anything about toggling the switch. I am lost here. Thanks though.