ROM Comparisons?

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I just received my gTab on Friday and flashed it with TnTLite 4.4 over the weekend and I really like it - definitely much improved. However, I was looking for a thread that might contain comparisons between each ROM. Is there such a thread? I tried to find something but no luck.

For instance, in reading some threads I noticed that some ROMS have the pull down notification bar and some don't - TnTLite doesn't. This one doesn't bother me either way, but still... And maybe a thread with screenshots?

Sorry if this is redundant or if I'm just blind and it's right in front of me.

Thanks in advance.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sorry rgc, no post should go days unanswered!

While this is not a perfect solution, absorbers at xda is starting to compile a list of youtube video demos/reviews. It's a good first step (though I HATE it when people don't edit slow parts!!!):

Video Reviews all ROM's - xda-developers

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hah ! Matt is always around to offer help .
I've been after the answer for this question myself. I bought the 1st g-tablet for my daughter. We live several states apart. I chose TnT Live, simply because I saw the passion and knowledge that Roebeet put in the introduction of his rom at XDA. As a very very newbie, I was able to install the rom, setup market, install apps + test, and sent it off the her within a day. No problem so far after almost 2 months.
Then I get a 2nd one, primarily as a support tool for hers. I still cannot find the answer, since there is no such comparison. Every rom attracted a number of people as well a number of whining's for something was/were not working as expected.
The solution would be to test every rom.
Hmmm, not so fast.
The first test was with G-Harmony. It went horrible wrong. But I gained a lesson about using nvflash.
Taking a moment to digest, I gathered that a rom that is close to stock would be most stable. Then with a good kernel, the excellent hardware of the g-tablet would come to life. The priority would be in this order: Stability, Functionality, then Speed. I found Calkulin + Clemsyn combo. Calkulin+Clemsyn Froyo Combo - xda-developers. This seemed to fit the bill. Within a few minutes, it was installed. And a few hours later, I have what fits me well. At this point, I am not sure that any more test would be beneficial.
Now, there is another great release from [ROM] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 [UPDATED - 4/11] - xda-developers. Again, applauds and whining.
At this point, I wish to hijack the thread and ask the experts a question:
. What do we miss if we do not try this great rom from gojimi ?
OK, back to the thread, perhaps you are to look at this thread, after you watch the video from the link that Matt provided.
Best stable ROM on GTablet - xda-developers
Dave

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Dave, actually it's *you* who can answer a question for me. ;)

Don't tell anyone I said this, but after reading roebeet's warnings/concerns about using Clockwork Mod as the base for installing ROMs:

[RETIRING]TNT LITE - alternate GTAB firmware (upd. 03/30/11, latest ver. is 4.4.0) - xda-developers

I don't use clockworkmod for flashing ROM's anymore, due to its inability to flash the bootloader (something that may be required, in the future). But I still use it for nandroid backups and data wipes, so this is how I can easily switch between the two.
I decided to stick with TnT Lite. I know asking the question might "inflame" (pun intended) people on the forum, but I'll do it anyway: what are your feelings about the issue? For the moment, CWM offers a number of advantages (I'm using it happily on the Nook Color) and the risks look fairly small. Perhaps I'm being too conservative, but I'm very happy with TnT Lite and really don't need to experiment with other ROMs.

-Matt

PS Oops, just noticed that roebeet is in a bit of a situation at XDA.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
So it is happening as Roebeet predicted. His passion sets a standard for all others. My gut feeling is we should nvflash back to stock and receive the standard upgrade 1.2.4349. Then wait for new rom release. All new rom's will be built on this and everything else should be much more efficient.
Hah ! It feels like July 4th with everybody talking at once.
Dave

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
I can add gingerbread doesn't have hardware acceleration yet and some people (myself included) have had a problem with videos stuttering. Others haven't and love it.