[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Anybody else having lockup/crashing problems with this?

I've seen a bunch of lockups since installing it. Most of them required a hard restart, and just now I had it reflash itself on restart because something was corrupted.

I've had it happen in several apps, but 'play' may be the most common offender.

Firefox was in the foreground with the extra bad crash that just happened.

I'm not running the very latest version that's in this thread - will install that just in case something relevant changed.

Nope not at all... No reason why this ROM would cause this either...

End of the day it's just the stock ROM rooted and with GAPPS installed. I've not seen an issue like you describe with either the non-GAPPS or GAPPS one.

If you are concerned flash back to the stock non-rooted ROM and see if your problems go away.

Most likely it's something else you've loaded or maybe a bad tablet...

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Can someone look at their 7042 running this version and tell me what Settings--> Storage shows for Internal Storage in the second slot... the one for the internal SD... I'm showing 2.12GB for total.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
OK another one. Has anyone tried to install Swype and gotten the screen size not supported message?

If you have and thought it might be the modified build.prop in here to have a Galaxy fingerprint, Steev left the original build.prop renamed in the system folder.

I swapped back to it and the error persists. I did report it to Swype.

Just wanted to let people know in case the wondered if it was the modified fingerprint.

ktakis

Jul 10, 2011
Hey guys,

I managed to install ICS on one of my MID7022's , its from Coby Germany, they released recently a ICS update for there german models, i managed to install ICS on my 7022 ( U.S. Version )

I wonder if this custom rom would work, i am on search for a root solution. I assume its not as easy as before where you can ADB push a new recovery image and its all good, also, the 7022 has no volume buttons, so i am not sure how i would be able to do it.

I assume since its a Allwinner CPU and not Cortex this rom would not work, just wanted to clarify here

Thnx for any response !

inaatab7

May 11, 2012
Thanks Steve for the ROM & Thanks RedDeer, for such detailed instructions.
I got my MID7042 last week and came across this forum yesterday and this thread and though of giving it a try :)

I tried the custom ROM "cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip" using LiveSuit (using win xp), the Flash went Fine but then the tablet kept on rebooting it self.
I loads up and in few secs, again reboots (dont know if it were crashes) .

Tried Flashing it 4 times and all the times same, it loads up and then reboots.

Is there anything wrong that I might be doing ?

I though i was boomed, but then i tried the Factory ROM again posted by Steve in another thread (Many thanks) "coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip" and it worked, it was stable, didnt reboot it self like the MODIFIED ROM (again i think the factory rom which Steve posted, is still modified, it was root access (??) )

sbs

May 6, 2012
Ive had 0 crashes, also use firefox as main browser did you use the last rooted version without google play installed and had to load it yourself?

Actually I just went back to check and discovered the last version I installed was the one in this thread.

I will run it for a while with minimal extra apps and see how it goes.

Patriotswrath

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks Steve for the ROM & Thanks RedDeer, for such detailed instructions.
I got my MID7042 last week and came across this forum yesterday and this thread and though of giving it a try :)

I tried the custom ROM "cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip" using LiveSuit (using win xp), the Flash went Fine but then the tablet kept on rebooting it self.
I loads up and in few secs, again reboots (dont know if it were crashes) .

Tried Flashing it 4 times and all the times same, it loads up and then reboots.

Is there anything wrong that I might be doing ?

I though i was boomed, but then i tried the Factory ROM again posted by Steve in another thread (Many thanks) "coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip" and it worked, it was stable, didnt reboot it self like the MODIFIED ROM (again i think the factory rom which Steve posted, is still modified, it was root access (??) )

The ROM you installed is the same as this without the GAPPS and fingerprint change. That ROM is the stock with both touch drivers and root...

Install this one using the format option and see what happens.

inaatab7

May 11, 2012
The ROM you installed is the same as this without the GAPPS and fingerprint change. That ROM is the stock with both touch drivers and root...

Install this one using the format option and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, I tried that too, last night and also today, thrice, this time it just gets stuck at "COBY" and at times at "andriod" logo doesn't go any further ..
any help is appreciated :)

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
@ inaatab7
We may be able to help you resove your problem.

I notice that some people Post help requests with very little information. These skimpy posts force potertial helpers to first ask the Poster to provide additional relevant information before help can be provided. Many potential helpers skip by those posts. (if they are too lazy to provide relevant information, tough)

If you need help, be sure to provide as much information as possible up front. The more information you provide, the more likely your problrm will be fixed/resolved.

Windows 7? XP ------- 32Bit - 64bit ------ Mac - PC --- Intel - AMD , etc
Which set of LiveSuite ROM install instructions did you follow? include the post #
Which version of LiveSuit did you follow?
Did you restart your PC before you applied LiveSuit?
When using LiveSuit, did you choose to Format or NOT Format
Using LiveSuit, Did you leave the USB connected until the entire process finished and desktop appeared?

Again, the more information you provide up front, the more likely your problem will be resolved.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.